VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Need spring dimensions

jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2010-02-02

Need spring dimensions Empty Need spring dimensions

Post by jeepwrench Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:07 am

I have used the info on this site and it has been invaluable. I found a guide for measuring springs, but the problem I have is mine are flat, no longer arched. The plan is to make it 4WD at some point, but till then I want to raise it up as a 2WD for now. The plan is to use springs from another application and narrow the front of the springs in the eye area to 2" and make shackles to go from 2 to 2.5" for the rear eyes. Whomever(whoever?) has replaced their springs if they would be kind enough to forward the dimensions of the new springs, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    BTW I have a 65 G10
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Need spring dimensions Empty Re: Need spring dimensions

Post by Digz Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 pm

The standard springs run pretty flat to start with. Going back and looking at your pics it seems to be setting pretty much normal as is. I had new springs made and had them put about 3" over arch in the front and 1" in the back. So the eye to eye length you have is going to be close to right. If you are going spring hunting , what you need to look for is the distance between the front eye and the center pin on the axle to help keep your steering linkage close and you may well have to build a new draglink if you gain alot of hieght. mine as it is moved the steering wheel off center by 1/2 " or so. If your springs arent actually bent backwards , I'd think about just putting a couple 2" blocks in to get some hieght for now till you make the switch. Vanish is your 4x4 Guru on this site I think? Putting wider springs on a 1st gen front axle will have its own issues to deal with also if thats what you had in mind??
    Over arching the springs also moves the front axle forward a little bit and possibly change the castor some to. Just some stuff to think on and keep in mind.
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Post by jeepwrench Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 am

OK thanks. I know if the spring is arched it changes the measurement. Anyone know any specs on Polarbear2's van? I pm'ed him but got no response. Any build photo's? I searched but maybe not with the right words.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 am

Hey if your Really going to go 4wd with it DON'T LIFT IT ON THE STRAIT AXEL !!!!!! Get a Blazer front end and stack springs !!! it's all the same amount of work and most Importantly .... you wont get all that Bump steer !!!!!! Just put the axels under it for now and make a Drive line for it and drive it around 2wd !!!!! and finish it later .... Plus you Get Disk Brakes .... instead of the front drums ...... Going the other way .... well is just a night mare !!!!!! spend the money once !!!!!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 am

Need spring dimensions Chevy_52
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Post by jeepwrench Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Vanish wrote:Hey if your Really going to go 4wd with it DON'T LIFT IT ON THE STRAIT AXEL !!!!!! Get a Blazer front end and stack springs !!! it's all the same amount of work and most Importantly .... you wont get all that Bump steer !!!!!! Just put the axels under it for now and make a Drive line for it and drive it around 2wd !!!!! and finish it later .... Plus you Get Disk Brakes .... instead of the front drums ...... Going the other way .... well is just a night mare !!!!!! spend the money once !!!!!

OK OK I GIVE!!! You talked me into it. lol!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

JW,
    It's just “GOOD” advice from those who have learn by trial and error before you. Never assume and always ask before try something new. There's a 99% chance someone here has already tried or done it before you and their experience can save you a whole lot of frustration, heartache and money!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Need spring dimensions Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Need spring dimensions Nodoor82
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Post by jeepwrench Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 am

donivan65 wrote:Need spring dimensions Nodoor82

What were those springs recycled from? That's the arch I'm looking for.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:10 am

Those are basically just Two 1st Gen springs combined into 1,,,,,,I kept adding leafs until Vanish says 14 will do,,,,,,,,,,

Need spring dimensions Nodoor83

Need spring dimensions Nodoor84

Need spring dimensions Nodoor85

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:04 pm