VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Need help with Dash Dimensions...

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Empty Need help with Dash Dimensions...

Post by mbasaraba Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 am

As some may know I have been making dash panels for Econo vans and pickups. I would really like to put the OEM mounting holes into my panels instead of people having to drill them after I send them.

Could someone please fill in these blanks?

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Panel-10

1. Over all length
    2. Top holes from the sides
    3. Top holes from the top of the panel
    4. Bottom holes from the bottom of the panel
    5. Bottom holes from the sides
    6. Over all width

If measuring to the side of the hole please indicate the diameter of the hole.

If the holes do not have the same dimension as their partner, example, #2 is not the same for left and right top hole, please use a L and R.

I would REALLY appreciate this. Would make it easier to come up with custom gauge layouts if I know where the mounting holes will be.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Empty Re: Need help with Dash Dimensions...

Post by mbasaraba Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 am

No one has 10 minutes to measure this?

Does anyone have a factory gauge panel they will sell me or want to trade for a polished aluminum one instead??
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:37 am

Matt
    I just pulled mine. Vans not going anywhere soon.
    Took a pic and put some measurements in it but not very good.
    I will be happy to send you mine to get the measurements of off of and then you can send it back. Send me a PM with your address and I will get it out to you.

Craig

Need help with Dash Dimensions... 110
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

PM Sent...

Does it use ALL those little holes? I thought there were just 4 for mounting it..
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 am

The top 2 inside and bottom 2 outside holes mount to the dash. the 2 top outside and inside bottom holes bolt the gauge pod to the cover. If someone was going to use the original gauges to the cover you would need these holes
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 am

Gotch ya!

I can make it both ways! If you want one for free for letting me use yours I will send them both back to you.
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am

I will get this one sent out to you tomorrow and figure our if I want a different layout for the other one
    Thanks
    Craig
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 am

Matt

I dropped the dash plate in the mail this morning. I think a copy of the original layout may sell better than the custom layouts. If you make one in the original layout for me I will install it and get you some pics. Maybe some more people would want a new cover.

Thanks

Craig
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am

Will get it done as soon as I can. Thanks Craig!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Matthew,
    I've been wanting to talk about this subject. Some of the larger F series and cab over trucks have four gauge clusters that almost work on our econolines. The mounting screws are just a little bit different. I'm thinking your bezels might just be the trick. I'm on the road right now but I can get with you when I return home and discuss it some more.

Duane on the road again.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 pm

econopoor wrote:Matthew,
    I've been wanting to talk about this subject. Some of the larger F series and cab over trucks have four gauge clusters that almost work on our econolines. The mounting screws are just a little bit different. I'm thinking your bezels might just be the trick. I'm on the road right now but I can get with you when I return home and discuss it some more.

Duane on the road again.

Sure Duane! Would love to give it a shot... Let me know what I can do.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Craig,

I got the panel today. Thank you!

Will be taking it into work tomorrow to put on the CMM to pull all the dimensions off. I should be able to create a program and make a panel this weekend if all goes well.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:27 pm

One question I forgot to ask. The blinkers, are there just lights behind those little arrows?
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:06 am

Matthew

Yes, the turn signal lights are behind the arrows
    Here is the gauge pod
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0316

Here is the cover that goes over the pod, under the cover.
    The holes for the turn signal lights are 5/8 in diameter.
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0317

Let me know if there is anything else you need

Thanks

Craig
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Craig,

I program a CMM at work, Coordinate Measuring Machine. It is accurate to .00001" repeatable to .00004". I program it to measure the Cobalt Chrome knee replacements that we make.

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_2010

I got your panel loaded on my CMM. And measured all the holes and the outer profile.

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_2011

I created a 2D CAD of the holes and profile and created this.

Need help with Dash Dimensions... E-oem-10

I will cut, sand and polish the panel tomorrow and get it in the mail for you on Monday. I will add holes for the arrow blinkers but they are going to be round instead of the arrow, The machine will never be able to make them that clean and they will look bad.

If you could try mounting your gauges in it I would appreciate it. Lets see how it works. If they work good I can make more for others.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 am

Rock and Roll!

So I start out with a panel of aluminum and got my program loaded today.

Here is your panel being cut...

After cutting the panel I deburr and get ready to sand.

And here is your finished panel! I will get it cleaned and ready to ship for Monday after work!

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Fordoe10
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:43 pm

That look awesome. Love the video of the panel being cut. You can do some pretty cool things with that I bet. I will get it mounted and pictures taken as soon as it gets here.
    Thanks

Craig
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am

The gauge cover came back today. I was like a kid at Christmas opening the box and I was not disappointed. It looks great. Had to run out to the garage and real quick put it on the dash. Not sure if I put the oil and alt covers on the correct sides or not. I think they are backwards
    Old and then new cover
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0318
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0322

Installed
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0320
    Need help with Dash Dimensions... Img_0321

Really makes the rest of the dash look blah.
    The cover is coming back off and wrapped up until I am ready for it later. Dont want to mess it up.
    A Great option to make your dash pop. In my opinion if someone is looking for something different this is a good way to go.
    Wonder what a door panel would look like in polished aluminum. With a dark color interior would probably look good.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Wow those gauges fit like a GLOVE!

Not an easy thing to do when I dont have a set here to try them on. I had to go purely off of dimensions and hope it fit nice.

I think it looks GREAT!

Thanks again for letting me use yours.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Another thing, I think a nice polished piece just above where the steering wheel is mounted in that upside down trapezoid is would look sweet! Or even that whole piece covered and with a cut out for the shifter and steering sector.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Wow Matthew that is really cool. Just curious - are the angles on the turn indicator arrows just too tight for the machine to cut cleanly? With the dot holes though you could put in red and green lights for port and starboard.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 am

It is a bit more work to do the arrow shapes and this was meant as a test run. I was making a panel that I could use the template for the factory gauges or a panel someone could use after market gauges with LED lights. I went so far as to put in mini bow ties for the turn signals.

Need help with Dash Dimensions... Nautil10

I am only charging $35 for the basic panel so I am keeping the amount of work to a minimum. I can do all kinds of things if people want extra custom work done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:13 pm