VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ?

kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ? Empty Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ?

Post by kltcustoms Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Ok I am looking for info on how or were I can connect my throttle lever from my 727 to my 2 barrel carb? I have switched over to a VW style throttle cable and do not know how the throttle lever works in relation to the shift linkage. Any ideas?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ? Empty Re: Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ?

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ? Dodge_31
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Post by kltcustoms Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

That is perfect..thanks for the page but what does it do? I mean does it move in and out with the throttle? Is the V-8 and 6 the same basic thing, both go to the carb and attach right?
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 pm

the throttle linkage should move all the linkages in sequence to apply "kickdown" to the trans. it does it by changing pressure through the valve body and in relation with the governer that is located on the tailshaft. it also makes the trans shift down or up based on the same principals, speed and hydraulic pressure.hard to explain and even harder to understand unless your a transmission repair person but the adjustment is a very important item.
    heres what you need to do, based on the pic above;
    hold the transmission throttle lever towards the rear as far as it will go
    take your gas pedal and push it to the floor (engine not running) Exclamation
    there should be just a slight gap at the carb where the linkage goes towards the rear on the throttle rod.
    not enough your throttle won't open all the way,
    to much and your shift points will be off based on line pressure.
    that pic shows a ball joint at the carb linkage but i am sure there will be a slotted piece there and it is adjustable. that actually looks like a v-8 linkage on an older car as some of our vans and pickups had a one piece setup from the factory and only one place at the carb for adjustments. i know this because mine came with the one piece and i changed it over to a 273 dart style like in the picture.after three years or so of trying to get mine to work properly i fixed it with a transmission swap and complete linkage swap. i had a friend use parts from three different cases to build my first trans but did not realize the governors and valve bodies were not compatible and neither did he. there was an internall pressure problem and thats why mine never shifted right till i changed to a 1977 transmission that i got complete and rebuilt myself. live and learn.
    the adjustment is very important to make your trans shift up at the correct time and backshift. to tight and the shift is late and harsh, to loose and the shift is quick and the vehicle is in drive to soon and burns clutches.
    hope this helps a bit........ good luck
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 pm

If you can't source a complete linkage, you can buy a Lokar or other setup.
    Here's an example.
    http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp
    Just make darn sure you follow instructions and set it up properly. It is not something to rush through or do "good enough"!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Throttle Shifter Lever/rod ? Dodge_32

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 am