VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks

StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks Empty Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks

Post by StuNami Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:16 am

Hi Everyone,

New member here but lurking for awhile.

It's been awhile since I knew tires and rims. I'm sure this has been asked before and I've done a few searches but nothing for sure.

I used to run 60 x 15 x 8 and 10's on most of my old rods. It's been quite awhile though, you know, being married kinda put a stop on things, (she's gone now Very Happy ). Now I am confused about offset. I don't remember dealing with that in the 70's and 80's.

So my question is with a 67 econoline, can I put 60/15/8's all around? My springs are pretty good and it sits as high as stock.
    What do you guy do as far as back spacing? I'd like to have the rears out a bit and not tucked in too far and was thinking about a 2.5" backspace.
    I like the extra chrome using the 60/15/10's on the rear so I may try those. I'd like to hear what most run. Of course I'm going with the old standy by Cragar SS's. Man, I used to buy so many rims and tires, it feels good to do it again.

I used to run air shocks on my old 65 but if I remember correctly, (it's been since 1978) it made it very bouncy and light to the road with them on. Do you run air shocks?

StuNami
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks Empty Re: Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 am

Yes - long ago we really didnt deal with backspacing issues.New to this ol man also-u will learn about it . Far nas econolines go-ive got a 61 - new 2 me last year and havent done much with it as yet- doing my chevy 1st. yet , I am also doing a ranchero-64 and I kniw from experiences that a 4 & 1/2 " back space wheel will fit there. A few around here say the max is 4 & 3/4 yet that wont fit in my application & max for me is an 8 " wheel. Yes , i still use air shocks here on everything- you know=Old School=Old fart!!! And I must say Ive been thru the women too- yet I know from eperiences = the old iron can be fixed - wrinkles never can so I always just traded them off for a newer model!!!!!!!!!!! Still truckin & Roddin after all these years - enjoy=Smile)
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks Empty Re: Back spacing and offset for wheels and Air Shocks

Post by Digz Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:51 pm

The shallow backspace on the front might cause an issue (maybe) by throwing the outside of the tire into the front of the wheel opening on a turn. I Have a pair of keystones like that 15x7's with the 2.5 BS and they ran to close , this was on a chevy tho. Just something to look out for.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks Guys,

Yeah I figured from more research today that I would run at least 4 inch backspace on the fronts.

~StuNami
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm

does anyone have a part number for air shocks?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:06 pm

try a parts source for gabriel- im thinking even the gen 4's are the same as 1 & 2's=??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:05 pm