VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Air Cleaner

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Air Cleaner Empty Air Cleaner

Post by southern man Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 am

My '64 had a 200" Sprint 6 installed by the previous owner from a Mustang. He had to trim the stock air filter housing to fit it within the dog house. It works but looks funky. I'd like to replace it with a custom chrome model but what do I do about the PCV hose? Also, any recommendations for something that fits a 1 barrel carb?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Air Cleaner Empty Re: Air Cleaner

Post by Old Skool Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Does that mean you have the 200 in there??? it sounds like you do???
    I am working on a conversion for a person right now, using the RBS carb upgrade, and a 240 gas pedal and throttle cable setup. It makes clearance for the header issues, as well as upgrade to use the 240 cable, which I JUST HAPPEN to make and sell ( just got an order in) ~~~~ anyways, some ideas to throw at you, with yours. The best thing we can do on ours is to supply fresh COLD air, and I have a customer with built cross flow using a remote filter and supplying fresh cold air at the same time, using an aluminum turbo cover for his 4 bbl Holley on a cross flow, I am thinking it may be an idea for our 1 bbl setups???? as I am not too impressed with all the little tiny air cleaners I have seen sucking in hot air??? The PCV valve can work either on an aluminum adapter carb base, the ones with out the hot water setup!!! I have four of those adapters here, one is the smaller tapered unit and the other three are the full 1 3/4" units (no bell crank stud types)
    vic
    vic
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 am

Vic,
    You make a good point about a small air cleaner sucking in hot air, and a remote filter w/intake sounds like a good idea. However my fabrication skills might be challenged by this. I would be interested in learning more about what you might be able to work up for this application.

You kind of lost me on the PCV valve issue. My mechanical skills & knowledge are all self taught - some out of necessity and some out of curiousity. Unless I've done it before, or have step by step directions, I'm at a distinct disadvantage. One of the things I like with these old vehicles is their basic simplicity, which works well with my skill set.
    Tx,
    Jeff

Post by Guest Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:22 pm

the cold air intake is simple. Anyone can install one in half and hour. I have one on my 200 ci motor. All the parts are available on ebay including the bonnet. On a one barrel you will need to cut a base plate out of aluminum or something 5 1/8" in diameter so the bonnet can fit on it and a hole in the center the size of your carbs throat ,no big deal.

Air Cleaner Img_0466
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:54 am

Mike,,, That looks PERFECT,,,, didn't look too hard to do, but that looks real good and solves a lot of problems.
    vic
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 am

Try a pressure cooker, worked for this guy:
    Air Cleaner IMG-20101024-00116

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content