VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
Digz
Donn
7 posters

Need advice on a good heater for the garage

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Need advice on a good heater for the garage Empty Need advice on a good heater for the garage

Post by Donn Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Any suggestions on a good, powerful, decently priced, safe heater for the garage? It is a car and a half in size.

It's been around 40f now and to cold to get any work done. I would need something handle 30f and above.

thx

Donn

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Need advice on a good heater for the garage Empty Re: Need advice on a good heater for the garage

Post by Digz Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Whats available for fuel ? If you dont want something permanent Gman uses a torpedo type with a thermostat hooked up to it. If your insulated and dont have extremely high cieling a gas wall furnace would be a somewhat simple install, a somewhat higher cieling an overhead would be nice, I'm thinking about 50-70,000 btu ? Insulation is the key to any decent heating set up tho.

Need advice on a good heater for the garage Empty Re: Need advice on a good heater for the garage

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:20 pm

If you have access to natural gas, try this heater:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307959_200307959

I have the 70,000 BTU unit in a 24x30 garage in Iowa. Does a nice job of keeping me warm.......almost too warm actually. Mr. Heater Company treats their customers well. I had a computer module go out on my heater 2 years after the warantee went off and they sent it to me for no cost......

Northern tool does a nice job and has good prices. If you watch the sales, you can get it for free shipping too.

Welcome to winter......No snow yet here, but it has been cold.

Later,

Jake
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Like Digz said I use a torpedo heater that I run off road diesel in.(propane goes to fast I think) It has a built in thermostat in it. I'm heating a large area and it's 175,000 btu unit. I would go with a 100,000 unit myself for a garage. When it really cold you'll be happier because in 20 mins you'll be working in your t-shirt. Also when the temp really drops smaller BTU units will have to run the whole time your out there
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:50 pm

I use a small torpedo heater to get the garage warm then burn wood.....
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 pm

I use a kerosene heater that i've had for year, fuel is cheap and it warms my 2 stall garage. Of course it doesn't get to cold here in Georgia so may not work everywhere. Of course it needs ventilation.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Northern Minnesota in my dads uninsulated 2 stall garage I use a torpedo heater that runs on diesel fuel and got plenty warm even with it -10 below outside. In my garage that is fully insulated and sheet-rocked, 3 stall garage with 8 foot tall ceiling I have a fuel oil forced air furnace. Last time I filled up with 200 gallons it lasted me 8 years to burn it all up. My garage would heat up so fast that I would shut it off and crack the door open to cool off Very Happy For a 1 1/2 stall garage a small torpedo heater I think would be more than enough.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Need advice on a good heater for the garage Empty Garage heater=?

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 am

Ive had 2 = Resnor heaters - were natural gas types & can be redone for propane if needed- look in used building buisnesses & on ebay/ craigs list- here i see them all the time on craigs- best to find in summer due to costs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:40 am