VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

1963 Van -Gauge probs.

dmfonline
    dmfonline

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-10-13

1963  Van -Gauge probs. Empty 1963 Van -Gauge probs.

Post by dmfonline Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 am

When I bought this van , gas and temp gauge did not work. Seller gave me fuel sender, said that was fuel gauge problem. Put in sender and a fuel pump(just because) and guage still does not work. Further investigating led me to the instrument gauge voltage regulator. When removing it and touching the wires together the two gauges "pegged". So I bought a new regulator at NAPA(53.00) and installed it. Gauges pegged again and temp gauge started to smoke(felt both gauges getting warm). Ready to take it to an auto electric shop. Any suggestions?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1963  Van -Gauge probs. Empty Re: 1963 Van -Gauge probs.

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 am

I would unplug the senders and see if the gauges still peg,,,,,,then plug each one in separately to see if any one acts up,,,,,,can that current limiter be in backwards? Maybe it is bad too,,,,,,,
    dmfonline
    dmfonline

Post by dmfonline Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 am

Thanx- can only plug in one way. I'll connect one at a time .thanx again!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Test both limiters,,,,,,,,on the bench,,,,,ground it,,,,put 12 volts to the input side,,,,,see what comes out,,,,,put a test light on the output ,,,,it should blink if the voltage is being cut down,,,,,,,,you got 4 circuits to check,,,,,the limiter, the gauges,,,,the wiring,,,,,the senders,,,,,try and isolate the areas to see if something out of the ordinary shows up. You will wear out your welcome at Napa trying to return defective Current Limiters,,,,,,especially if smoke is coming out of them,,,,,,,,and they ain't cheap,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Take a jumper wire and go from ground to the current limiter body and see if anything changes,,,,,,,it probably needs a ground to do its job and see if this test changes anything,,,,,
    dmfonline
    dmfonline

Post by dmfonline Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 am

Thanx- Disconnected temp gauge ,gas gauge is now active. must be a bare wire on the temp sender somewhere. little by little all will be good!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 am

,,,,,and if you are messing with those senders,,,,,,they basically send 3 signals,,,,,,high low and normal,,,,,,pull the wire off makes the gauge peg one way,,,,,,touch the wire to ground makes the gauge peg the other way,,,,connect the wire to the sending unit and it reads normal. So by undoing the sender wire and running these tests you can see if the Current limiter, gauge and wiring are working and you have no broken or shorted out wiring. Another thing is there are like 3 different types sending units,,,,,,easy to put the wrong one in there,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:47 pm