VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
jkr
slowflapper
plumcrazy704406
7 posters

turn signals shorting in the column

plumcrazy704406
    plumcrazy704406

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-07-28

turn signals shorting in the column Empty turn signals shorting in the column

Post by plumcrazy704406 Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 pm

it appears my turn signal switch is shorting inside the column. my whole turn assembly is loose and it appears the part below the white plastic signal cam which has wires leading in to it is the culprit. as it is, my signals will work, but if i jiggle the wires in this piece, they will stop working or the pass.brake light goes out, jiggle and it works again. I am not sure if this is part of the wiring harness? down to the fuse box or is this a separate part of the turn switch that can be replaced. I have tried to find a drawing of the assembly without any luck.
    any ideas?

thx in advance
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 957
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

turn signals shorting in the column Empty Re: turn signals shorting in the column

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm

take some pics and lets have a look Smile

Here's the best info I know of regarding the turn signal cams etc in sweptlines and earlies:
    turn signal fixes
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

turn signals shorting in the column Empty Re: turn signals shorting in the column

Post by jkr Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:32 pm

the wires run from the switch to just under the dash. its all one piece and i believe about 7 wires in total. also no plug just butt connectors from the factory and they all look the same. color code of the wires is important.
    68DodgeVan
    68DodgeVan

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-08-31

Post by 68DodgeVan Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm

I know it has been a while since the last post on this, but I am having the same issue with my steering column. The turn signal bezel has come loose and I have even seen a little smoke. Were you able to solve your issue, and if so any suggestions for me?
    Thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8759
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:36 am

what year is your yan.?? is it a lose wire?? can it be soidered if not these are not cheap.they show up on e-bay once in a while.or look it up under a same year barracuda or a vailant.may be the best bet. try http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=turn+signel+switch&SM=1&SC=1 napa as well
    68DodgeVan
    68DodgeVan

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-08-31

Post by 68DodgeVan Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:27 pm

The van is a '68, yes loose wire that for a couple days was slightly smoking. I'm just going to replace the turn signal bezel if I can find one. I heard they are expensive, hopefully I can find a deal. I will try year one, and Napa. Thanks for the tip!
    Mr. John
    Mr. John

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Post by Mr. John Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I use one of these, heavy duty and built in hazards.
    Only draw back does not self cancel but hey it's a classic! lol

http://www.truckspring.com/heavy-duty-truck-parts/electrical/turn-signal-switches/universal-fit/VSM900.aspx
    plumcrazy704406
    plumcrazy704406

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-07-28

Post by plumcrazy704406 Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 pm

ok,been a bit since posting, but figured it out. Replaced wiring harness and issue went away. Found an oem harness.

thx everyone
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:20 pm

For those that have just a bare wire, not a real mess, you can get shrink wrap and cover the bare spots.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm

plumcrazy704406 wrote:ok,been a bit since posting, but figured it out. Replaced wiring harness and issue went away. Found an oem harness.

thx everyone

Where did you get your wiring harness? I seem to be having the seem issue on my '68.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:37 pm