VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
blackace
6 posters

A100 Restoration Questions

blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

A100 Restoration Questions Empty A100 Restoration Questions

Post by blackace Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 am

I am glad that I found this site as I have struggled to find any information on restoring my 68 A100 pickup. Orignially was my grandmothers, then my dad's, and now mine. It has the 318 V8, std cab with the loadflite transmission and the suregrip rearend, and only 73,000 miles. The questions that I have are listed below.

1) Is there anywhere that has remanufactured body panels for this style of truck? mainly the rear corners where it wraps around from side to back of tailgate. Also looking for wheel arches and lower side panels for both sides. If not, what is used for these areas in a restoration?

2) Do any of the panels that I have found for A-vans fit these pickups? Not sure what parts interchange between the vans and pickups

3) Seats. I am wanting to get the seats redone as the material is dried out and cracking. Would like to keep it as close to oem as possible.

4) Headliner - My truck does not have one in it and I have not seen any pics that show a good view of what one would look like. I would also be interested if there is any that can be purchased and if not what might be close that can be made to fit. Also be interested in any clips or trip that would of been used to hold it into place.

I am going to be posting pics of the truck here real soon. Thanks for all the help and great reading.

Kevin
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

A100 Restoration Questions Empty Re: A100 Restoration Questions

Post by RodStRace Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 am

Welcome aboard Kevin.
    Gaskets for the front and rear lights are found on Ebay, the door weatherstrips can be found (except the vent window Sad ) and many service items can be found at your local parts store or Rock Auto. http://www.rockauto.com/
    There are not many A-100 specific parts reproduced, but most can be refurbished.

1) Is there anywhere that has remanufactured body panels for this style of truck? mainly the rear corners where it wraps around from side to back of tailgate. Also looking for wheel arches and lower side panels for both sides. If not, what is used for these areas in a restoration?
    Yes, http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_panels/onlinecat.htm?r=ru&p=sm
    have no experience with them.

2) Do any of the panels that I have found for A-vans fit these pickups? Not sure what parts interchange between the vans and pickups
    Yes

3) Seats. I am wanting to get the seats redone as the material is dried out and cracking. Would like to keep it as close to oem as possible.
    Legendary has EXACT partterns for the different years.
    these guys have seat foam and covers http://www.profitautointeriors.com/productSearch.aspx?doSearch=1&ukey_make=216&ukey_model=3506

4) Headliner - My truck does not have one in it and I have not seen any pics that show a good view of what one would look like. I would also be interested if there is any that can be purchased and if not what might be close that can be made to fit. Also be interested in any clips or trip that would of been used to hold it into place.
    Have not seen this, but contact Legendary http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 am

Welcome to the site!!!! As you see there are great people here willing to help fellow early owners. Look forward to your pic's
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks for all the info and links. I am looking forward to getting to know and maybe meeting some of you at different shows around the area. This truck means so much to me since my grandmother and dad has passed on. I see the restoration as being one for them. I have posted pics of the truck in the gallery and will get some updated pics of the driveline as it has been rebuilt.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:03 am

On the link for the body panels, I see there are some panels for the dodge van, I assume that the panels will work on the truck also. mainly the rear quarter panels? I guess I should ask if all three of the panels listed for the van will work on the pickup?

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:16 am

the rear corners are below the floor and should work. With body panel swapping, you have 3 choices; find a good donor, find a repair panel and make it fit (some are better than others) or make from scratch.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the help. Not much of a body man here but the guy that is working on it does not have the tools to make the curves that taper. The link will be a great help. I am sure that I will be gettin back with everyone as I get deeper into the interior and the odd ball items that will come up.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 pm

ALL THE PANELS CAN BE FOUND @ SURPLUS SUPPLY THEY ARE WELL MADE AND FIT WELLhttp://www.surplussupplyco.com/
    Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:06 pm

dix wrote:ALL THE PANELS CAN BE FOUND @ SURPLUS SUPPLY THEY ARE WELL MADE AND FIT WELL http://www.surplussupplyco.com/
    www.surplussupplyco.com
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 pm

If the A-100's are like the E-100's, I junkyarded my pass corner.... I took a piece of cardboard and copied the radius I needed for the corner... took it to the local yard and started checking corners on vans... found this to fit... the section under the tail light , to the roll... not the very bottom...(the white stripe under the taillight) I cut a big section out and used just what I needed... cost...$25
    A100 Restoration Questions Rearcornerdonor
    here is mine... before
    A100 Restoration Questions Readytotransport4
    and after...
    A100 Restoration Questions Newradiator3
    A100 Restoration Questions Passcorner

with time and patience, you might find the right fit....

Hope this might help...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:40 am