VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ?

mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ? Empty I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ?

Post by mcfly Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Looking into buying an 87 step van for work. It has a 6.2 diesel with 102,000 miles on it. I drove it and it seems real strong but this is my first encounter with a diesel.
    What should I look for ?
    What is the skinny on the 6.2 ?

I like the van (great for the cabinet business ) but need to know what I am getting into.

_________
    mike
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ? Empty Re: I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ?

Post by benwah Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:24 pm

I take it its a GMC Chevy? I had a 81 GMC 5.7 diesel .Its on the list of one of the worst top 10 engines ever built. It was a turd. I dont see any 5.7s any more But I see 6.2s still on the road.I know the 5.7 was a gas engine converted to diesel. I finally yanked it out but the tranny would only accept an oldsmobile 350 gas engine. Im still leary of buying any desiel pickup again. Parts cost twice as gas engines too!
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ? Empty Re: I need some Diesels knowledge fast, anyone ?

Post by SDEconoTruck Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Are you talking about the 6.2 Duramax? Ohhh boy... ...you are either going to be pretty happy or most likely entering a world of pain.

Like Benwah says and more. Look for the "PMD mod" or "FSD mod" which is the controller for the high pressure injection pump. The genius designers placed the PMD (Pump Mounted Driver/Fuel Solenoid Driver) right on top of the engine!!! ha!

This is a delicate piece of electronics that controls the pump and it is very sensitive to heat. The Injector Pump is the heart of the diesel. Some kits will put a heatsink to it, others will relocate it. Look for that modification or history of problems with it. If the owner says, "I've never had a problem with it..." I'd be skeptical he's telling the truth.

You can do the mod yourself for a couple hundred, but I've seen guys pay over 2 grand chasing problems and ending up with the PMD mod as the final fix.

On the bright side, there are lots of support items for that diesel, like from Banks plus there are huge chat forums to try and keep these things going.

Parts are big money compared to gasoline engines, and diesel mechanics
    can make a good living too...

I've got a Cummins diesel and couldn't be happier.

2 cents,
    George

Post by Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:15 pm

keep it pluged in, run good fuel should be ok. its not a duramax just a plain jane no turbo 6 2 rattler

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 am