VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
RodStRace
slowflapper
A100Sportsman
G-Man
Hamilton
11 posters

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections...

Hamilton
    Hamilton

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2010-07-06

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Empty exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections...

Post by Hamilton Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm

first cat I took the van to for a safety inspect said he couldn't pass it because the exhaust dumped before the rear axle. I thought that was nuts but the exhaust on this van was litterally "hanging by coat hanger wire."

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Backbrakes

It was bad. But for you north texas guys, I discovered a good guy named Jerry at Jerry's Muffler in Lewisville. He removed the old pipe, welded in some new ones and had me back on the road fast. Nice guy and really clean work.

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Muffler

even slapped on some pencil tips! Icing on the cake!
    exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Penciltips

so I take it to another station for inspection and the guy slaps a sticker on it without even climbing in or honking the horn! funny how things work like that....he did offer to buy it from me, but that was all the interaction he had with the van! funny how shops differ so much on inspection rules.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Empty Re: exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections...

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I have never seen exhaust done like that before (the old stuff)
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Empty Re: exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections...

Post by A100Sportsman Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Interesting! None of the shops here in small town Lytle, Texas care too much about it and one of the shop owners is friends with my dad so we get inspections passed quite easily. Very Happy

Although, today we had to get it inspected and dads friend was closed so we took it to the oil place (which we had never done before, everywhere else was closed) and out came this young lady and said she had to "drive it around and test stuff". affraid In my head I was thinkin "girl, you don't know the first thing about driving this ol' thing and there is no way in hell I'm letting you drive it around!" lol! But I simply told her we were taking it somewhere else, so we went home and I had to go help a friend on a job so dad took it to his friends place and he was open then. Got her inspected in the end! Very Happy Later on me and dad were joking about how she was probably too young to know how to drive a three on the tree and how whenever our 67 Bronco needed an inspection we would take it to her and say "Here! Go ahead!" HAHAHAHA
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 pm

I guess my side pipes would be an instant fail Smile
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Just guessing here, since I have never even set foot in TX, but it's probably got to exit to the edge of the vehicle, not underneath. Vettes had sidepipes stock.....
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Post by A100Sportsman Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 pm

yes that is correct.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Empty Texas Inspections=??

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 am

hyeres one 4 ya= i lived in texas 4 - 40 years - been thru the inspection process. Funny thing was- you had to have windshield wipers - yet didnt need a windshield?--- Go figure - kinda like a motorcycle thingy i think??
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 am

RodStRace wrote:Just guessing here, since I have never even set foot in TX, but it's probably got to exit to the edge of the vehicle, not underneath. Vettes had sidepipes stock.....

The exhaust can exit underneath, if it's behind the passenger area (which is way back there in a van!).
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Post by A100Sportsman Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:hyeres one 4 ya= i lived in texas 4 - 40 years - been thru the inspection process. Funny thing was- you had to have windshield wipers - yet didnt need a windshield?--- Go figure - kinda like a motorcycle thingy i think??

hahaha!!! I never knew that!!!
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am

here in georgia they charge $25. a year to inspect the new cars but cars from the 80's on back don't require a inspection. you can drive a old car with the muffler falling off and thats ok to squirt out bad exhaust but don't pollute with that 2009. stupid....
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Post by A100Sportsman Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm

lucky bob king
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 am

bugeye bob wrote:here in georgia they charge $25. a year to inspect the new cars but cars from the 80's on back don't require a inspection. you can drive a old car with the muffler falling off and thats ok to squirt out bad exhaust but don't pollute with that 2009. stupid....

You should be glad. I don't know the numbers in GA but here in the west, you rarely see anything on the road from the mid-80s and back. If you do, it's usually not a rolling wreck, but someone's pride and joy.
    The new stuff is the major use on the roads. This is even more common in urban areas.

There has been a lot of tightening of requirements for emissions, inspections, licensing and registration.
    SEMA and others have fought hard to keep older limited use vehicles from being legislated out of the hands of people, either directly through vehicle laws or by land use. Many places do not allow you to have any vehicles that are not in running order, licensed and insured on your own property. I take these threats to my hobby very seriously.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 am

wow, I did not find that to be the case in NORCAL (marin to monterey). it was quite common to spot rare and vintage cars out and about. but I will agree that LA was much more about NEW and shiny than vintage charecter.

I even made a bit of $ from buying local cars and re-selling them on the internet to the unfortunate folks on the east coast. what some local norcal buyer may consider "rusty" may be a pristine "rust-free" specimen out east.

at one time I had nine vehicles crammed in my driveway, three econoline, four bmw and two porsche. my neighbor did threaten to call CHIPS! but they were all registered so I was not breaking any laws. I made sure I bought a house with some land when we moved to tx. greater distance makes for nicer neighbors.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:29 am

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... 02092011

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... 17052011

Hi guys!
    here´s a couple of pictures from the exhaust in my a100 pickup .
    modified headers, H-pipe borla mufflers and 2 1/2" stainless all the way back.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:32 am

Hello, Henrick! Welcome to the site. Please post more pictures and tell us about your PU.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:53 am

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... Dsc_8910

exhaust on the a100 and Texas inspections... 11042010

it´s an ´66 pickup with an 340 engine and 727 bought it in late 2008 and have been working on it during the winters. last winters project included the exhaust and cleaning up and painting the undercarriage of the car.
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 am

So was the original pipes coming back to a T pipe that dumped out on both sides of the wells? That seems like an odd set up if it was, but if it worked usually is all that matters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 am