VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+14
VanninBlaino
dix
jkr
cocovi
benwah
EconoCarl
wylee
Digz
BILLS66
Nightmoves
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
RodStRace
18 posters

66 A-100 in AZ

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

66 A-100 in AZ Empty 66 A-100 in AZ

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 am

guess it's time to do a post here.
    Raw material. Advertised at 700, talked down to 500. Here are the sale pictures from CL.

66 A-100 in AZ 1020091146b

66 A-100 in AZ 1020091146

66 A-100 in AZ 1020091145

Had to get a couple more wheels mounted and aired up. It also came with the full set of Cragars, and a pair of bigger tires I had mounted to the rears. It also came with a bunch of junk in the back, which seems typical for the cheaper ones!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

66 A-100 in AZ Empty Re: 66 A-100 in AZ

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:57 am

After getting it rolling, I pulled it out of the back yard and loaded on the trailer. Home? No, there was a race to attend first! Got a note on it while there and was able to buy a couple parts. Ended up not using them though.
    Here it is the next day at home. The other steel wheel tires were shot, so used the cragars on the right.
    You can see the bumper someone hacked into the rear. This accounts for cut wiring, holes for the wiring and license plate holder, and why I'm still looking for a nice rear bumper.
    66 A-100 in AZ DSCF1428

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:01 am

While crawling around it while on the trailer, I found that it wasn't a 318, but a 360! Nice! However, after messing around with it and getting it running, I found that they had used the neutral balance flywheel instead of the offset 360. Shakes at idle and worse at higher RPM. The motor was pretty tired too, and as a final insult, the front cover rotted away while running and squirted hot water at my butt! Good thing I have another decent built 360 in the garage.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 am

Wanting an auto, I kept an eye out for others and checked junkyards. No luck until I found a parts truck! Yes, a PU was found that was a V8 auto. It was in LA so another road trip. The seller had a big industrial yard and the van was tucked away in there. He had to spend almost 2 hours with a forklift moving steel beams that a renter had stacked to get to it. He then took it over and torched out ther rear he had already sold. Sad
    It's a real shame the PU was hacked up for a camper years ago, but I ended up with almost every part I needed in very good shape for a VERY reasonable price. BTW, if you see a yard that has a watch-mule in it, they can get physical! Even with the owner there, the thing would not leave me alone.
    66 A-100 in AZ 100_0086

Last edited by RodStRace on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 am

I stripped the PU down, learning some of the differences between the early and late ones. The doors ended up with a guy in San Diego. I still have the rest of the bare shell.
    Another friend in San Diego found another A-100 in a yard and grabbed a bunch of the other small items needed. He got a pair of pop out windows too.
    66 A-100 in AZ Nickparts
    A friend here in the Prescott area rebuilt the transmission from the PU, adding a shift kit, part throttle kickdown and a host of other cool tricks.
    So now I have an engine, transmission and will get a nice converter to make it jump.

Last edited by RodStRace on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:18 am

I had done searches over the net and had bought a service manual to learn more about these. It was a while before I found this site. I'm a member of a couple other forums and had joined the Yahoo group, but can't remember where I heard about it. Sure glad I found this site, though.
    I stripped down the van, and had a body guy come over to bid on fixing the sheetmetal. It was way out of my price range, so I'm taking a body shop class at the local college starting at the end of this month. I do have a prep and paint guy lined up and paid to finish it after I get the bad stuff fixed. I also have a line on a soda blaster so after the metal is pretty straight depending on my amatuer abilities, it will get fully blasted in and out, top and bottom.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:37 am

Current thinking is White inside and underneath. The hard part on that aside from all the cleaning, painting and assembling without tearing it all up is the blackout in the front. I dislike seeing the stuff behind the grille on any car, and it really is bad in an A-100. So I'll have to figure out a way to have all the Blackout in the grille area without having an ugly underside. The center is easy, it's the area on each side (like the steering arm and drag link on the left) that is going to be a tightwalk. The inside floor will be shot with bedliner tinted White to hide the dents and waves, and to quiet it. No thoughts yet on an interior.
    The engine is going to be Mercedes Purple. I bought a pint to test out, but decided it's too dark and Red. Transmission is natural.
    I haven't decided on the valve covers, but will probably run the old 318's with the wire holders.
    The Cragars will stay. They are not what I would buy, but they are old school and were included. They polished up pretty well too. The other decision to be made is the rear wheel wells. They were cut out for the old wheels and tires, and will have to be fixed. I don't know if they will be flat like stock with a lip to the inside, or a flair of some sort.
    The last choice will come down to how well the prep work comes out on the body. The painter dislikes shooting White, and has said he will be able to get it straight enough to shoot a dark color. If so, it will be the new 2010 Challenger Plum Crazy Purple. If not, bright White.
    Here's a side shot of it after I pulled out the lift blocks but before it was stripped. It will sit like this or a bit lower. I've disassembled the front springs from the PU, and will see how it sits with just the 5th one removed. The third one has the clamp holes, so I probably will reassemble with those.
    66 A-100 in AZ DSCF1475

Last edited by RodStRace on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:42 am

Oh, and along with a ton of other holes on the sides, top, and all through the interior, there is a big one just in front of the roof support in the middle. I may remove the stock antenna in front and run an antenna there in the middle of the roof. I'm thinking an old school CB style with a spring base. I know that AM/FM radios prefer a shorter antenna, and I probably won't be taking this on extended road trips (White underside!) so I don't see the need to have a CB radio. Any of you old school vanners know of a good solution for this?
    I need to know which (or both) holes to weld up.

There are other details too, like paying for all the chrome, new side mirrors that attach to the stock stalks,
    if I should rebuild the stock wiring harness of just go all aftermarket, and brakes. I also have all the stuff needed except bearings to put together a 5.13 sure grip diff. Oh, and the exhaust after the headers. Either over the axle and out the back (tips?) or dump in front of the rear tires (zoomies or tips?).

I haven't bought all the seals yet, but at least they are all available except the darn vent windows. AZ is not kind to rubber!
    I'd like to also mention that Evaporust works well. I've been soaking small batches of parts (you do tag and bag when disassembling, don't you?) and they come out very nice.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:19 am

Rod looks to be in great shape and a great price for it. Keep those pictures coming as you go along
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:31 am

Rod Looks like you Got a winner there !!!!! And you have been keeping a secret Too .... How long have you been on this ?????? Anyway LOOKS GREAT ..... AND KEEP ALL THEM PIC'S COMING OUR WAY !!!!!!!!!1

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 am

G-man, I wouldn't say great. Aside from over a hundred holes in and out, there are lots of dents. You can see some in that rear shot in the first post. The rest of the van has similar dings all over. At least it has very little rust!
    I would have been time and money ahead if I had bought a nicer one, but this way I KNOW what it is.
    Vanish, I bought it in Nov. of last year, got a lot done by April of this year, and have been busy with other stuff most of the time since then. The doors were stripped and pictures shown back in April. Just getting back on it the past couple weekends, getting ready for the auto body class.
    I have to take some pictures of the recent work, although the point is to erase past sins (holes).
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:03 am

Very cool indeed! We have a nice A-100 to mess with ourselves...just taking our good old time as well! I managed to buy those "Block Huggers" from Summit the other day for the 318. Just finding the time for everything is the pits!! lol
    66 A-100 in AZ POE5
    B.W. Smile
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 am

BvrWally, Nice!
    Hope mine is that smooth in ~6 months!
    Are you staying primer gray or are you going to put some shine to it?
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946

Post by BvrWally Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:12 am

Some paint in a year or so? lol
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, I'm officially doing metal work. The body class requires a test panel before letting us students loose on our own projects. I finished that the last day and got to start on the van today.
    Lots of stud gun work so far, trying to pull out all the 'innies' and get it smoother. I've got 3-4 of the right side creases pretty close and am working on a big one next to the LR bumper hole.
    The work is coming along, I just hope I can get better at it quickly enough to get it ready by end of class in December.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey bud,thats great! Glad for ya.Reckon it's never too late go to school.Great you can apply it to your hobby/passion.Unlike Shakespeare.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Well, I bent up some metal rod to define the shape of the rear wheel flares.
    I stuck tape over it to help visualize the shape.
    Still contemplating if I should go with this, make changes, or just repair back to stock and have the wheels stick out.
    66 A-100 in AZ 1015100840

66 A-100 in AZ Downsize
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 pm

I think the flares would look great. Bill
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Looks great keep us updated as you go
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:33 pm

As nice as what I think yours is gonna turn out Id vote for the flares, would keep the crud off your paint.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:59 am

nice score rod, looking good...............
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109

Post by EconoCarl Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 am

Lookin' good Rod, great mock up on the flares.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:37 am

Due to the enlarged fenders I vote for flares! My sportsman from AZ had dents every where too! The body was too nice to customise as far as flares go. My tires stick out a little. Either way you will have a sweet ride when your done!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the comments.
    I'm really not liking the gap around the tire. The lip is about 3/4 " out past the fattest part of the tire (I used a board against the tire to set the wire out even). The radius is 2 inches larger than the tire (one inch per side) and that's the part that looks funny to me. I also have the top of the radius up a bit for suspension travel.
    I think I'll redo them with a tighter radius, since the center of the wheel is below the bodyline anyway, so I don't need a big gap for hand to install the tire. I may pull a leaf and lower it a bit. I like for the center of the wheel to be even with the bodyline. I'll have to toss an engine or something heavy in the back to get the ride height where I want it, then build the flares.
    I also have to make sure the body cut is the same on both sides before using that as the meeting point for the flare. The tape was just to get some idea of the shape.
    66 A-100 in AZ Downsize_1
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:53 am

What size tire you plan on runnin?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm