VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

speedometer cable

speedometer cable Empty speedometer cable

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:04 pm

has anyone found a nice cable, where can i get one?

speedometer cable Empty Re: speedometer cable

Post by Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 am

i'm trying to find a speedo cable too. something is stripped and it is dead now. sometimes it just jumps a bit. mostly lays there though. any finds since 2008?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Does anyone know what could have broken on the speedo cable to make it not work now?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12233
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:06 am

You got to do some checking like take a drill motor and power up the system,,,,,,you might be able to undo the cable at the trans and turn the cable with a drill and see if the speedo reads steady ,,,,,but you got to make sure the cable is far enough up into the speedo for it to turn it,,,,,or take the speedo out,,,,,file a nail square and run it with the drill,,,,,,the idea is to turn the speedo at a certain speed with a drill and see if it reads steady and does not go berserk,,,,,and you probably got a plastic gear that goes into the trans that wears out,,,,you could also undo the speedo cable under the dash and drive the truck or put it up on jack stands and watch that cable and see if the trans turns it. And you always need to pull the cable out of the housing and grease it for the speedo to work right,,,,,
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:39 am

well in my case the p.o. let the cable come in contact with the exhaust and melted the cable which in turn locked up the inner cable and destroyed the gear in the tranny. if your outside cable is good most any parts store has the universal inner cable and i got my tranny gear here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370369619806&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT .very fast shipping and quality part.make note of the color of your old one and/or count the teeth. and if you need the clip http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150477614554&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Post by Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 pm

thanks guys! i'll let you know what happens soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:43 pm