VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
sparky
VANagain
7 posters

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question.

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Empty Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question.

Post by VANagain Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm going with the west coast style mirrors on my 1st Gen but I want to know where exactly to drill the holes. My doors had holes but they don't match the mirrors I have. If you've got them installed, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some measurements or photos. Like where are the upper and lower brackets in relation to the wing window frame. I assume the main thing is to get the vertical tube to be straight up and down, so the mirror is perfectly vertical. Luckily I've got the lower bracket types (with the four holes) that go above the Deluxe trim (rather than the three hole type that mount below).
    Thanks.
    Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Mirror10 Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Mirror11 Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Mirror12
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Empty Re: Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question.

Post by sparky Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 pm

I too would like to see some mounted, Where did you get them mirrors? got a picture of them?

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Empty Re: Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:51 pm

I've always used west coast mirrors as they look good on early vans. I've noticed the four hole bottom brackets are found on 64-65 Chevyvans and the 3 hole brackets are found on 1966-68. 1969-70 seem to always have the tripod brackets and so called "elephant ears". I have attached a couple photos of my van's stainless west coast mirrors. I made stainless bottom brackets from a pattern off of an original GM painted bottom bracket. The stainless mirrors came off of a 1967-72 Ford pickup. They compliment chrome bumpers and wheels.
    I also attached a photo of a '64 Chevy hanging off a wall behind a Quaker Steak & Lube restaurant. It has the earlier 64-65 style mirrors with the 4 hole brackets. Hope the photos help. My '69 had 3 holes on the brace inside the door from the factory. I used that to determine where to drill holes on the outside. If you're going with the 4 hole style bracket, I would hold the mirror on your door and make sure your vent window can open. My vent window was an issue when I first mounted the stainless Ford mirrors. A little adjusting and remounting made everything work.
    Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. 100_4059
    Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. 100_4060
    Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. 100_3490

If the pictures don't come up, e-mail me directly and I'll send you pictures that way. Kenclem@rocketmail.com
    Good luck!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Seems like putting them where you can see out of them is where they go,,,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:55 am

Maybe this will help if you havent got that far yet.
    Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Lower_10

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Lower_11

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Upper_10

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Upper_11
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:40 am

Wideload & I got in a discussion with these 4 bolt on lower,mirrors. Nearly all(leavin room for the exception) '65's have the 4 bolt lower,with the 3 bolts already drilled & button head phillips head bolts in them.On my '66 the 3 bolt style are already drilled & mounted.He told me thats about the best way to identify a '65.Although there's the brace that runs along inside of the door for the 3 bolt pattern,evidently GM must have had a supplier issue.It'd be nice to know from somebody(for many reasons) that worked on those assembly lines years ago.
    The 2nd gen had 'elephant ear/mailbox' type on the side.Found a set of west coast I wanted on there instead.I used the first gen as a guide.I got lucky & hit the door brace holes within a 16th when I drilled the skin.
    I was at Econopoors yesterday.He was showing me the A Dodge pick-up he had.We noticed it has the exact same 4 bolt lowers as the 1st gen.Guess they all used same supplier.Just thought I'd share.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:05 am

Yeah , the 66 A van I have has the 4 bolt set up to, same mirrors as my chevy.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks Digz! What a perfect way to measure them and convey it to me!!

Interesting about the 65's and 66's. I know the West Coast mirrors were an available option listed in the brochures. My Sportvan Deluxe never had the three lower holes drilled.

Another thing I've heard is that all of the stainless steel mirrors have the Ford logo stamped in them, near the bottom. Had a set on my 66 Chevy way back when. Actually, now that I look closely at this photo, it's not quite the Ford logo...

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Mirror13

I've got a lead on a source for brand new stainless mirrors that supposedly look just like these, with the three vertical ribs. I've got to order one to make sure. Costs about $50.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

I've always had a feeling that maybe the '64-65 G10 van shared the same west coast mirrors as the Corvair van. Perhaps as the Corvair ended production, GM came up with a new design for the G series WC mirrors.
    I only met one guy who worked at the Pontiac, Michigan assembly plant in the 60's. I asked about the van and he told me the biggest complaint was the fitting of the front sheetmetal panel.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Post by kltcustoms Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 am

I bought a set from JC Whitney that are pertty cool...

Got West Coast mirrors? I got a question. Sidemi10
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 pm

if you get a off brand from the auto part store put some clear coat or a sealer on them, bought a set from one of the big 3 stores and they started getting surface rust after a month or so i tried waxing them but the rust took over and i removed them and threw them away, cheap china junk.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:15 pm