VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
jrinaman
BILLS66
Nightmoves
BvrWally
kookykrispy
sparky
Scott
Vanish
donivan65
13 posters

1st Gen Heater Core

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 Empty Re: 1st Gen Heater Core

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 am

Lazarusvan wrote:Dumbass alert: It helps when the switch is turned "on." I wondered why it had gotten warm last time and all the sudden stopped working... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Our weather was briefly cold and then got warm (sorry snowbirds). We'll be back up to 65 degrees this Friday.

At least I can admit my shortcomings...

Just to update myself, I was wrong as the it wasn't switched off as I had thought. It was all the way over to the right in the "On" position. It just blows some warm air. No way it is "toasty" as DIgz mentioned. A couple of questions:

1)What temp should this put out if I test with IR sensor?

2)Should my Taurus radiator fan have any bearing on the way this puts out heat? I had my wife check from the passenger seat and unless she is mistaken, it immediately started blowing warm (from cold) on one occassion when I flipped the fan off from low speed. We tried it again later and nothing changed as it was warm already. Again, engine temps were running around 190-195 and temp outside was in the 40's.

3)The middle position "Air" will blow just as much the right position "On" at times. Is the "air" position just a low vs. "on" for high? My fan blower does appear to work.

If all this sounds like a bad core, that's understood. Just making sure and want to learn before I change it out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 am

mbasaraba wrote:Don,

Is this the best setup to go with for a V8 given the extra volume? I am watching an expansion tank on Ebay right now.

They kind of mount that crossflow radiator UNDER the floor,,,,gets good airflow,,,,,and the 2nd gens also have a tunnel built into the floor for more airflow,,,,,,there are different shrouds for the 6 and 8 cylinder engines,,,,,but,,,,,you need the surge tank up high to get the air out of the engine,,,,,and the surge tank keeps the radiator full since the radiator does not have a cap on it to fill it,,,,,I am just saying that this is the stock 2nd Gen Chevy Doghouse system,,,,bolts right in,,,,,they come in 3 and 4 row of tubes cores,,,,,probably the cheapest way to go,,,,you could go messing with the aluminum ones and make one work,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey Lazurus, I have a heater system all tore apart down at the shop, I'll see if I can toss something together so you can see what ya got tomorrow before you get all the way into it and see what you can check. I'll wager the core is slogged up , but theres a chance it could be plugged for air flow also. That air lever just runs a flap that opens or closes the duct work and has no bearing on the core itself. I'll get some pics unless Don has some ready to go? lol. Oh one thing to check also , Dan has a shut off valve on his heater hose ,Being a southern van Greg might have put one in ?, make sure you are not up against something like that being shut off.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:56 pm

LA-108 wrote:Thanks Don,
    I see new radiators like this listed for my vehicle. What are the dimensions of the one in the photo and do you know if/where the brackets would be available?

1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 2nd_ge13

Now Peter, you are right up to specs.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Digz wrote:Hey Lazurus, I have a heater system all tore apart down at the shop, I'll see if I can toss something together so you can see what ya got tomorrow before you get all the way into it and see what you can check. I'll wager the core is slogged up , but theres a chance it could be plugged for air flow also. That air lever just runs a flap that opens or closes the duct work and has no bearing on the core itself. I'll get some pics unless Don has some ready to go? lol. Oh one thing to check also , Dan has a shut off valve on his heater hose ,Being a southern van Greg might have put one in ?, make sure you are not up against something like that being shut off.

Thanks, Digz. I do have a valve and I'll double check it. Thanks.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Don,
    Thanks for all your follow up work.
    I actually measured mine the other day.
    W= 20"x H= 22 3/8 x D= 2 1/2
    It looks like the oil cooler is the difference here as mine is a 3spd and without the cooler portion of the radiator/tank.
    Going to try to re-core mine. Might be too far gone, we'll see and will let you know.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 pm

You said you have a downflow radiator, (with the radiator cap on top),,,,,this is a crossflow,,,(no radiator cap) and it sits sideways in the doghouse,,,,,but both types will fit in a 2nd Gen,,,,,,

1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 2nd_ge14

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm with you man!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 pm

So if you are going to get a downflow one recored,,,,get a 3 row of tubes core,,,,,if you are getting a crossflow type recored,,,,get a 4 row of tubes core put in,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Will do. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Must be a shop close by.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Here's the route the air takes. Once it comes in thru the grill it gets funneld down into what Im going to call a plenum area behind the nose that also has (supposed to anyway) a rubber gasket at the bottom.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 110
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 210
    From there it comes through that big hole aimed at the heater core.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 310
    This is where airborne debris might build up.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 410
    This is what you will see when you remove the blower and motor, here you can check temp or blow it out with air if you want.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 510
    The air on or off lever is nothing more than a flap and the defrost is the same thing only acting as a diverter.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 610
    To remove the heater core I prefer to take the duct work off first. There a couple sheetmetal screws at the main box and usually one at a small bracket on the nose end under the dash.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 Heater10
    The core removes with the box. the tubes have to kinda be threaded through that opening which also has a plate and gasket that seals it.
    1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 Tube_r10
    Inside there are (supposed to be) 2 small retaining straps and a couple more screws to deal with.
    To me the worst part is removing the hoses under the van and dealing with that floor grommet which seems to always be hard as a brick and unflexible. There is a resistor mounted also there somewhere on the box that lets you choose the speed of the blower but that was gone on this example.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Just received my new heater core using that ready air part #. I was able to source one through some supplier on amazon, but it looks like I may have gotten the last one....

Looks like the correct one to me Smile

1st Gen Heater Core - Page 3 Photo-10
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:21 pm

donivan65 wrote: I do it for the cause,,,,,it's kind of hard to SEARCH for stuff here,,,,,,,,SO,,,,,,WHEN,,,,not IF,,,,,the next 100 new members want to know about heater cores,,,,,you tell them  search for  Ponytail and  they come right here,,,,,,(Hello to all you people in 2013 when you get here)

"Ponytail." December 24, 2014

Sub $2.00/gallon gas prices these days, seems more like the 80's...

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Just ordered my heater core from Advanced.

I tried to source it several places, including eBay and Summit, by using Google.

The eBay listing shows two available and lists the part as "to be discontinued."

Summit Racing does not have any available.

Advanced was a good bit cheaper and doesn't list quantity.

My advice would be to grab one of these while you can, because it appears the supply may be dwindling.

ADVANCE:  http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-or-ready-aire-heater-core-398237/20820003-P

SUMMIT:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pli-398237

eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1966-Chevrolet-G-10-GMC-G-1000-Van-New-Heater-Core-without-Air-Conditioning-/121134951720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3434ad28&vxp=mtr

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 am