VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New guy with question

DeeBee

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-04-17

New guy with question Empty New guy with question

Post by DeeBee Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello, I have a '66 Econoline Falcon, 240 with a C-4 behind it. Just bought the van in Portland, some of you may have seen it before when it was referred to as "Phils Phalcon". Im having the typical heat soak problem and I cant find a spacer anywhere to remedy! Running a 1BBL Holley currently. Im looking for a Phenolic spacer, or just something that will work? I have been lurkin here for quite some time, and checkin out the place! what have you guys tried to remedy this?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New guy with question Empty Re: New guy with question

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I can't help you , but like to Welcome you to the site
    DeeBee

Post by DeeBee Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks G-man!
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Welcome some of the guys install cool down fans I have not tryed that yet but mine always starts just a little harder to get fired up after sitting for awhile.Im running a 289 with a edelbrock 4bbl right now rebuilding a 1850 holley with a 2 inch spacer im going to try soon
    DeeBee

Post by DeeBee Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:07 pm

I have an electric fan that comes on with a thermostat. Its not too bad starting, just have to run it for a minute to clear it. Im not running a traditional fan on the front of the engine, thought about installing one. I will probably build some sort of cool air tube into the doghouse so the engine is sucking cooler air. Its not overheating though, the carb just gets too hot due to sitting right over the exhaust manifold. Runs great for about half an hour, then starts runnin like crap.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I think I remember that van... guy (Phil) had a build page on CarDomain... great condition! If it's the one, it's a gooder!!! Welcome!!!

In a pinch, you could make like a shroud out of sheet metal that would serve to deflect air rising off the manifold around the carb... cut out for the bolt holes and intake and sandwich it between the carb and intake... just tossin that out there, not from experience.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:44 pm

welcome to the site! i fabricated a 3/8" micarta or phenolic spacer for my carb. i also rerouted and insulated the gas line because the fuel was getting too hot. you can probably get some scrap micarta at a place that repairs aircraft. thats how i got mine.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:46 pm

sasktrini wrote:I think I remember that van... guy (Phil) had a build page on CarDomain... great condition! If it's the one, it's a gooder!!! Welcome!!!

In a pinch, you could make like a shroud out of sheet metal that would serve to deflect air rising off the manifold around the carb... cut out for the bolt holes and intake and sandwich it between the carb and intake... just tossin that out there, not from experience.

i think i'll try making that item out of titanium at the hanger, it is refractive and should be just right for this role... good idea. if it works i'll make a template so more can be produced
    DeeBee

Post by DeeBee Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:06 pm

I have access to a full machine shop, and yeah, I think I will try to get ahold of some phenolic material and just make one. I gotta wrap the fuel line too as mentioned. Its the van off the cardomain site, I saw it on there, then I saw it for sale, and jumped on it quick! Phil, the guy I bought it from, was a heck of a nice guy. I had an A-100 in the past and I also have a '71 westy. Oh, if somebody beats me to making one I might be interested in purchasing (the spacer) I dont get down to the shop enough.
    DeeBee

Post by DeeBee Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:53 pm

ok, hopefully I just found the proper phenolic spacer and some heat wrap tape for my fuel line and we will see if that works! Sucks trying to drive your van when it starts lurching due to carb boil. Some more about the van since this is kinda my intro: 66 Falcon, I got both original front seats, both original rears, all the falcon trim for the exterior, the side step is there and works. He built it with a stout C-4 so I can plop a V-8 in there if I ever feel the need, but it hauls ass with the 240. I will probably throw some disks on the front, and make a cold air intake similar to the one seen on "the modern form" website. Seems like these vans would really like some cold air to suck on? Oh yeah, 9" rear also. I bought the van to cruise around for the summer, and I can also haul my panhead chop in the back if needed.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Cool story! I thought it was the one!

Might not simply be carb boil... could be contamination in the fuel. Even if Phil rebuilt or replaced the carb, an old fuel tank may send crud that will gum the float needle up pretty quick. My Holley 1B is really bad for that. So if you don't have an inline fuel filter immediately before the carb, you might want to consider one. With mine, it would flood and I'd have to tap the side of the carb to loosen the needle. But you could see fuel squirt out the top like it was boiling.

But if you don't have a cooling spacer installed, well yeah, should have one.

Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 10:27 am