VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins.

mr. duece

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. Empty My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins.

Post by mr. duece Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 am

Hello Everyone! My project is about to begin. I've been looking for a 61-67 Econo pick up for almost a year now. Finally I was fortunate enough to find a super clean, dry 1964 out west to ship back to Chicago. Once arriving here I was pleasantly surprised. It was all I expected and more. It's been a bit abused in the past but what hasn't after almost 50 years. It had also been in the wrong hands for quite some time but survived without any major modifications. My restoration, at this point anyway, will be a tastefully done retro. hot rod theme. I will try to post pictures with progress when possible. I am very open minded and welcome all comments and suggestions during this build. Myself restoring many Chevy's in the past don't have much experience with these old pick ups. I will be using Macs & Dennis Carpenter along with some used parts sources I have found. If anyone has any other parts sources they'd like to share I would appreciate those as well. Thanks for allowing me to post on this GREAT site. Don Very Happy

Here are a couple pics. of what I bought.

Leaving previous owner:

[img]My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. MYEco[/img]

Arriving at my shop. Home at last.

My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. Econohome
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. Empty Re: My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins.

Post by 61econoline Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:21 am

Nice looking truck.These things are a blast to drive and very easy to work on.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. Empty Re: My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins.

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 am

Alot of our early's have been in the wrong hands before we get them, it all can be fixed. Thanks for the pictures looks like a great pickup

Post by Guest Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm

mr. duece

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by mr. duece Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 am

vanishingbreed wrote:Here's a list of places to get parts. http://inlandvansberdoo.forumup.jobs/viewforum.php?f=61&mforum=inlandvansberdoo

Thanks Mike. I recently purchased another parts truck from Wisconsin. Really rough but still has some pieces that I don't. If anyone needs anything from me I'd be glad to help as well.

Do you know if anyone makes wiring harnesses or do we have to work with what we have?

Here's the beauty I bought....

[img]My 64 Econoline Pick Up Restoration begins. Partstruck[/img]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 am

The parts truck don't look that bad
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 pm

yeah parts truck isn't that bad, but worse off then your truck, it looks like it will make a good project! Please tell me all those cars in the shop aren't yours or I'm gonna be jealous!!!!!!!! Shocked If they are that is awesome! As far as these things being in the wrong hands before, tell me about it. When my dad first bought our A100 it was in extremely rough shape, it was sitting outside an auto parts store and he made an offer on it! Someone had taken the inline 6 out and put a mopar 318 V8 in it, it was kinda rusty, the front end on the drivers side was kinda smashed up and all the exterior trim is beat up as well as the bumpers. To keep it from rusting anymore, my dad painted it with green rustoleum and a white stripe. He brush painted it, and it looked bad, but this was my mom and dads first car together so they didn't have enough to restore it yet. Many many years later when I was about 10 or so, my dad got it stripped down and repainted in the stock color, removed the stock rooftop AC unit which leaked and rusted out the roof, and took off all the beat up exterior trim that is characteristic of a Sportsman. The drivers side area got fixed up, but we think the bumpers are too beat up to be fixed. ANYWAY, sorry for rambling on about MY van and lets see more pics of yours! lol!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Welcome. Looks like a great start to a project. Parts truck looks good for a Wisconsin truck. I had my truck in Chicago last year. It was a blast driving it around up there. What surburb are you in?? I spent a lot of time in the west surburbs around Lake St, North Ave, and Grand Ave.

Duane in Tennessee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:33 pm