VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else?

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else? Empty having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:35 am

Hey all,
    I guess its almost been a year since I purchased my 66 6-door and its been rough putting it together. I bought it in spo-compton WA (spokane) and then found out that the motor had been rebuilt twice and couldnt go any further. With the new 250 and an RV aftermarket cam its running good, but now I have bought two alternators so far and when hooked up they read at 12 volts or so. I believe this is what is killing my battery. I went through the VR wiring and cleaned it up, but still when you take off one of the battery terminals the motor shuts off. Two bad alternators in a row? or does the VR need to be grounded? I ran all the wires according to a wire diagram that I down loaded from the Chevy van club site. Any old schoolers out there to make me look dumb? I hope so. . . . .
    Thanks
    Big Noer
    Seattle WA
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else? Empty Re: having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else?

Post by donivan65 Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:49 am

We can fix this,,,,,,,so I guess you got a 1st Gen Alternator with an external voltage regulator,,,,,,,whats the problem,,,,,,,the battery goes dead overnight or its not getting charged up? The voltage regulator has to be grounded,,,,,so slap a jumper wire on it to ground to check that part out. Make sure you have battery voltage at the OUTPUT + terminal on the alternator and add 12 volts to th F terminal to see if that alternator is actually putting out any amperage,,,,(that is called full fielding it,,it should put out its maximum voltage and amperage if you raise the engine RPMs). But run some tests and let us know and we will put up some more tests and repairs for you to run to get it fixed,,,,,,,

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else? Alts10

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else? Empty alt problems in seatle

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the diagram of the two alts I got the 1st gen. the place I bought the alt from used one of those bench testers to test the alt and it read 13.8 , but in the van its only pushing out 12.5 so we knew the alt was bad we had to bring them out to the motor and test it while at idle. New alt and problem solved !!!
    Thanks for the help and we will keep in touch.
    B Noer
    Seattle

Sponsored content

having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else? Empty Re: having alt/VR problems- I think I double posted this somewhere else?

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:42 pm