VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Van Door A/C

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Van Door A/C Empty Van Door A/C

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 pm

I think a person could build a Summer Door for their van,,,,,,(a rear door they install on those hot Summer Days or camping),,,,,get a spare door,,,,,slap a house window air conditioning unit in it,,,,,,add a portable generator onto it,,,,,,make it look pretty by adding a cover to it,,,,,,,,cause some times you just got to get cool,,,,,,

Van Door A/C Corvai17
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Van Door A/C Empty Re: Van Door A/C

Post by SnarkyPoet Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm

I've been thinking about the issue of air conditioning for a while. I know there are some kits out there that could theoretically be adapted for our vans, but I don't think they'd work very well with our engine configuration.

Instead, I was thinking of re-purposing a 12v DC compressor like the ones used in big trucks. eg. http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-parts-trade/product-detail-LKKQQOL/oem-12V-DC-Compressor-For-Truck-Air-conditioner.html

You could then put your condenser up in the front above your belly pan or in the tunnel with an auxiliary fan to maintain proper airflow.

This would keep the extra mechanical load off of your engine as well as precluding the need to cram the compressor in the doghouse.

You could mount your evaporator wherever it's convenient. It may even be possible to fit it in near the heater core so you can reuse the existing blower and vents. (I haven't checked to see how much space is in there.)

The only real caveat of this is the need to provide enough amperage to the compressor, but big alternators are readily available.

It's something to think about, anyway.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 pm

I know if I lived out in the Desert or High Humidity areas, I surely would be trying stuff,,,,,like mount a house A/C under the floor with a portable generator,,,,,or even try your !2 volt compressor,,,,,see if the van could put out enough amps and still have enough power to run down the road,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:47 pm

that dude is high speed low drag Laughing
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Post by SnarkyPoet Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 pm

donivan65 wrote:I know if I lived out in the Desert or High Humidity areas, I surely would be trying stuff,,,,,like mount a house A/C under the floor with a portable generator,,,,,or even try your !2 volt compressor,,,,,see if the van could put out enough amps and still have enough power to run down the road,,,,,

Here are the actual specs for a brand new 12v unit:

2,840 BTU/hr @ 456 watts, 36.4 amps - 4,714 BTU/hr @ 560 watts, 46.7 amps
    Refrigerant R134a
    Voltage Range 9-30V DC
    Evaporator Temperature Range -23.3° C to 12.8° C (-10° F to 55° F)
    Condenser Temperature Range 26.7° C to 65.6° C (80° F to 150° F)
    Maximum Discharge Temperature 130° C (265° F)
    Maximum Compression Ratio 8:1

This means your alternator would have to produce 40-50A in addition to your normal load. My van was heavy-duty optioned, so it had an AC inverter and a 'bigger' 46A alternator from the factory. I'm not even close to pushing the max on my current unit. If I swapped it out for a 100A high performance unit, it should be able to handle the load nicely.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 pm

Is that from a complete 12 volt A/C system kit? So how much you think a 12 volt compressor costs,,,,those GM 1 wire alternators are 100 amp and cheap,,,,,the condenser/fan unit can be any kind,,,,,and the Evaporator/fan unit does not have to be a dash type,,,,,,I think there are some camper/conversion van units that kind of sit above the rear doors in the roof,,,,,,,all you really need is that unit to absorb the heat out of the van,,,,,,it does not have to be super efficient,,,,,cool air would be nice,,,,,,you don't have to be freezing,,,,,and it should be affordable,,,, you might even adapt an aftermarket or hot rod A/c kit without the engine driven compressor,,,,,,
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm

i could box up some air from here and send it to you guys to use. temp outside today is around - 15c cold enough to cause SHRINKAGE !!!
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Post by SnarkyPoet Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm

donivan65 wrote:Is that from a complete 12 volt A/C system kit? So how much you think a 12 volt compressor costs,,,,those GM 1 wire alternators are 100 amp and cheap,,,,,the condenser/fan unit can be any kind,,,,,and the Evaporator/fan unit does not have to be a dash type,,,,,,I think there are some camper/conversion van units that kind of sit above the rear doors in the roof,,,,,,,all you really need is that unit to absorb the heat out of the van,,,,,,it does not have to be super efficient,,,,,cool air would be nice,,,,,,you don't have to be freezing,,,,,and it should be affordable,,,, you might even adapt an aftermarket or hot rod A/c kit without the engine driven compressor,,,,,,

The specs that I was quoting were from a new standalone unit. You could easily recycle a $75 home window unit for the rest of the parts. If you want to get a cheap 12v compressor, check the salvage yards for a semi roof unit (they use them on the sleeper cabs) or a rear box air conditioner. They generally use either 12 or 24 volt dc compressors. Another option would be to use the ac compressor and thermostat from a home unit, but power it with an inverter off of a 100A alternator. You could also use a direct-drive dc motor to power a salvage auto ac compressor.

Using the DC compressor seems like the best solution to me, as you can turn it on and off with the flip of a switch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:35 am