VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
oo3
xjamesx
donivan65
7 posters

aw hell (accelerator difficulties)

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Empty aw hell (accelerator difficulties)

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:00 am

so this morning i go to start my van... i gas her a little bit and pump on the pedal whilst turning the key, like i normally do...

next thing i know, the rubber gasket falls straight through the hole and the pedal is stuck to the floor. perfect start to the bad day, eh? late to work, van doesn't work, etc.

so, i pull the front off (the grill) and take off the the little box that cover the mechanism....

and then i realize that it came unhooked over by the carb.

the pin popped and left. so i've got it temporarily rigged until i get to the auto parts store to buy a pin, but my problem is that the pedal stays at about half acceleration... it won't return all the way to idle unless i pull it up manually.

what to do? anybody know?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Empty Re: aw hell (accelerator difficulties)

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:49 am

My Chevy has a spring that goes from the rod to the back of the grille that pulls the pedal back up,,,,also I have another spring by at the linkage on the carb,,,,,,,also undo the rod at the pedal and see if the pedal is actually hanging up and it may need to be greased,,,,,,,

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Disk_010

Post by Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:30 am

hmmmm...

i don't have any noticeable springs like that... but considering the condition of the van when i got it, i don't doubt that it's possible that are there missing parts...

i'll investigate further... thanks for the suggestion!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:08 pm

That stinks, especially after just getting the van back on the road. I'll check mine tomorrow and see what's under there and post some pics for you. I'm on my way to work right now.
    Still haven't got mine inspected. Both front parking lights, right back-up, and front left directional aren't working. Got the seats covered, and put a rug up front so it looks pretty good in there.
    I had a similar problem with the accelerator. Picked the van up after having a new drive shaft put in. We go to a lot of music festivals far from home, so I decided to let my girlfriend drive the van for the first time, because we'd be on the road that weekend, and I wanted her to be comfortable driving the van. We made it about 100 yards. She's making a left turn in traffic, cars parked on both sides of the road, stone wall straight ahead, and the pedal drops to the floor. The engine's floored, she's standing on the brakes, the back end is bouncing off the ground. This all happens in a second. She doesn't know where the brake is, her RIGHT hand is searching for the key, finally throws it into park after finding the shift on the dash. The brand new drive shaft sheers in half... I am not happy. Now that it's stopped bucking I reach across her and turn off the key to stop the engine which is still racing. It wasn't her fault, and she's a great driver. She's actually one of the few people I don't mind being a passenger with. Now she's scared sh*t of the thing. We push it back, and roll it down the hill right back into the parking spot we just got it out of. It sounded like a San Francisco trolley car with the driveshaft hanging and bouncing off the ground all the way down the hill, bing, bing bing. At this point I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. It was one of those moments you never forget.
    Off to work.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I dropped the belly pan this morning. This is what I've got under there. No springs. The long rod continues up and to the engine, no springs visible underneath up there either. I don't know if this helps. I used the "picture posting 101" instructions, no problems.
    Dave

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Dscn0010aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Dscn0011aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Dscn0012aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Dscn0013aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Dscn0014
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:35 pm

There has to be a spring to pull that gas pedal back up. You can follow that rod all the way back up to the carb and somewhere there is a pull back spring. Also you should disconnect each rod and check its condition,,,,,they eventually wear a groove in each other and the ends can break off. AND as for the sticking accelerator story,,,,,Its crazy to drive a 40 year old van without checking out the linkages and old brake lines and hoses,,,,all that stuff wears out and you don't want to find out the hard way that it just did,,,,,,,
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:55 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,,,Its crazy to drive a 40 year old van without checking out the linkages and old brake lines and hoses,,,,all that stuff wears out and you don't want to find out the hard way that it just did,,,,,,,

i second that. just cause it starts up doesnt mean it is safe....

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:43 am

Everything on the van has been looked at. The tires, brakes, brake lines, gas tank, radiator, assorted hoses, water pump, carb, wires, windshield, and on and on... have all been replaced. Things still break.
    Yes, of coarse there's a pull-back spring up by the carb. I was showing him that there is no spring UNDER the van, where he was asking about.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 am

He just wanted to know how to get the gas pedal to return. So what broke and why did the van go to wide open throttle?
    These Vans are primitive,,,,,and you need to understand that they lack safety equipment and can turn deadly in an instant. Look at the original master cylinder,,,,,a little 1 inch piece of rubber is your WHOLE BRAKE SYSTEM,,,,,thats all you got to stop you,,,,,and how long do you think that it will last? I just want to say you need to understand the rules of owning an Early,,,,you need to know the trouble areas and we are here to share the information with anyone who wants to listen......

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) 1st_ge10
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:45 pm

i am only sayin that i know Alex's van and i know alex's knowledge of cars and i know for a fact that the brakes were not gone over at all and the motor was barely looked at ( not to mention an "active" leak from the fuel sender) when he started driving it daily after who knows how long it sat. i wasnt intending my post at anyone but alex because i have concern for his well being since he is a friend of mine....

and i agree with donivan that 40 year old vehicles should be gone over before being roadworthy...
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 pm

as my pan is still off i had to go look too (66 a-100)- wait a second i dont have a rod i have a cable !? - so did all vans come with throttle rods and i have a modification or ? - no spring underneath and no shield around the pedal linkage either - i sometimes had a sticky throttle situation when i had the 69 chevy early - there were 2 issues - the worn bushing on the pedal linkage ( the dodge is different) and sometimes the rod would hang up in around the brake cylinder area especially if i had checked fluid and forgot to put it back correctly - oo3
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:30 pm

ok so i just saw the parts for sale ebay listing for a 6 cyl throttle cable 66-68 - so is it a different year thing or different engine thing? oo3
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Now we want to know what caused the van to go into wide open throttle,,,,,you got people worried now,,,,I am surprised that the brakes held the van back until the driveshaft twisted off. You don't have much time to think when something goes really bad and you might not be able to think at all. But you really should have a little spring near the carb so if something breaks, it will shut down the carb not let it go wide open. 6 cylinder Chevys have a similar problem,,,,,left front motor mount, next to the exhaust pipe,,,,,,when that rubber mount breaks the engine lifts up and it pulls the carb linkage open and when the engine goes faster,,,the engine lifts more and you wonder what is going on. Like I said,,,,,Earlys have a special set of rules that you need to learn if you plan on driving them.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey artvan, thanks for sharing the story..

I thought it was kinda funny, glad nobody got hurt. I know exactly what you mean, after something like that, sometimes you gotta laugh..

If nothing else, this topic sends the message,
    CHECK YOUR THROTTLE SPRINGS.

Guess it would be a good idea to create a topic of things to check before driving a newly purchased vintage van..

GM did a factory recall on that rubber engine mount problem donivan65 was talking about. If I remember correctly they fixed the problem by installing some kind of strap or chain that would keep the engine from raising up if the mount broke. If I'm wrong, someone please speak-up and tell me. I'm also kind of interested to know if any of you have seen such a strap or chain on a G10 or G20 engine.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:07 am

Early build A-vans had accelerator cables. Mechanical linkage was added around late-66 or so. The only return spring on an A-van was the springs from the carburetor to a bracket mounted on the intake manifold. These need to be in good shape so your accelerator pedal comes back up. Make sure the linkage isn't binding anywhere.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Nate:

My '65 Sportsman has a 273-V8/Auto with mechanical throttle linkage. The trans shifter has the extra cable for the Parking pin which should verify it's a '65. Its obvious the beast was in at least one or two wrecks, so donor parts may have been used. Could they have put those linkages on V8s in '65?

It's no big deal, I'm just curious. When it comes to info on As, your input is greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Somebody could've switched over to mechanical linkage. Me and a buddy scrapped a 65 with a 273 and it had a cable. Maybe mid-65 Dodge switched over.

Thanks for the compliment.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Early Van Owners Operating Manual Rule #1
    Check out the gas tank before starting the engine on a Van that has been sitting awhile,,,,,,

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Vanaga11
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:28 am

Wow! That's almost as bad as the pick-up on the '79 E-250 that I rescued.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 pm

WOW! allmost had to click the button" if i found the photo offinsive" Laughing whad they do add driveway sealer to the gas?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Thats the tank off of StorageVan, which is the Van I bought for VANagain, after he told me he wanted to own a Van, again. It surely is varnish,,,,,,maybe with some dirt from having no gas cap on it for 10 years,,,,,,(and then he tells me he needs something better,,,,)

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Storag10
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 am

no gas cap will explain thats a nice straight van too nice for a shed, i baught my 65 in 2000 in arizona from the original owner for 216$ - he wanted a shed to replace the shed, drove her home to ct in 2002. love the vintage tin out west everything up here has rust up to the windows!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 am

And rule #2 check the rods on the Gas pedal and clutch linkages,,,,they all wear out from the rubbing and then break,,,,,,

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Worn_r10

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 pm

jesus lord!

yeah, i haven't been on here because i just moved north a little bit (to be closer to james, obviously) and i haven't had internet.

i've got quite a few things to look at.. but whenever i get internet and a new camera, i'll post some photos of the work i've been doing, slowly but surely.

hopefully everyone is doing well. i miss getting to talk to you guys everyday.

cheers!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

aw hell (accelerator difficulties) Empty Bad Gas

Post by VANagain Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Yup, that's my gas tank with the black crud. It turns out that gas tank was not from StorageVan, it's from an orange van that was being parted out. No idea how long it sat, but I know that I was not smart enough to drain it the day I got the tank home!! It sat for several more months in my driveway getting worse and worse... Same with the tank in my project van, been sitting for 8 months before I thought to drain it (it's almost as bad as the photo above).

So, word to the wise: Drain the gas tank of any project van ASAP when you bring it home!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:00 pm