VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

engine and brake size?

sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

engine and brake size? Empty engine and brake size?

Post by sparky Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

I have a 66 Chevy that I wanted to redo the brakes in and when I called the parts place, they asked me which engine I had, did the different 6 cyl. engines have different brakes?? Thanx!!
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

engine and brake size? Empty Re: engine and brake size?

Post by wideload Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Sparky to the best of my knowledge the first gen's came with either the 153 ci.-4 cyl. or the 6 cyl's. Maybe that's what they wanted to know. Not sure if the brakes were different between the two.

Most of the parts places now a days don't know anything except what's listed in their computer and most of the computers don't list anything as old as our vans.
    I went in the local AutoZone and tried to get a fan belt for my 68 and after about 20 minutes I finally gave up and left.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 pm

They probably can't look up anything unless they punch in some kind of engine size ,,,,,your van probably has a 230 6 cylinder in it,,,,,there are a bunch of different wheel cylinders depending on the rear end ratio,,,,, front shoes are 9 1/2 x 2 1/2",,,,rear 9 1/2 x 2" maybe 2 1/2",,,,,,you need to get rid of that suicide 1 line master cylinder,,,,and some stuff aint available anymore so you got to use what you can get now,,,,,pull the wheels see what size wheel cylinders and shoes are on it,,,,,,what parts are you after???
    sparky

Post by sparky Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm

donivan65 wrote:They probably can't look up anything unless they punch in some kind of engine size ,,,,,your van probably has a 230 6 cylinder in it,,,,,there are a bunch of different wheel cylinders depending on the rear end ratio,,,,, front shoes are 9 1/2 x 2 1/2",,,,rear 9 1/2 x 2" maybe 2 1/2",,,,,,you need to get rid of that suicide 1 line master cylinder,,,,and some stuff aint available anymore so you got to use what you can get now,,,,,pull the wheels see what size wheel cylinders and shoes are on it,,,,,,what parts are you after???
    I would like to get all new brake parts and upgrade to a duall master, the brakes work now but I need to know they are new and safe!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 pm

The odds of you surviving a head on crash are pretty slim, so you might as well get the best brakes that you can,,,,,we got people with 4 wheel power disk brakes on their van, but you really need to get rid of ALL that 40 year old brake stuff. Start with new brake lines and hoses,,,,put a dual line master cylinder on it so you have a back up system in case something goes wrong. Here is a list of Napa Parts that I use to replace the old lines and add a dual line master cylinder to a 64-66 Chevy/Gmc Van

engine and brake size? Brake_11
    sparky

Post by sparky Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am

Cool, Thanx Donivan, do the wheel cylinders need to be stock replacement or do I have to get 69 cylinders to go with the master??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 pm

The 1964 and Early 1965 had bigger rear and smaller front wheel cylinders than the Late 65 to 1970 vans So there was a Brake system change for the better in Mid 1965,,,,,so you got the good system,,,,but there is better,,,(the dual master cylinder). We use that dual for disk brakes also. But there are like 12 different part numbers for Van wheel cylinders,,,some no longer made,,,,some $100 each,,,,So I would say buy what you can find or afford,,,,the sizes never varied more than 1/16" in bore size, so I don't think it would matter anymore if you mixed or match the 1 1/16" and 1 1/8" front cylinders or the 13/16" and 7/8" rear cylinders,,,,as long as the bolt pattern is the same. I think Napa has $6 rear cylinders,,,,or at least buy the kits and renew the rubber pieces inside them if the bore inside is still smooth....and we sometimes use the steel braided hoses instead of the 2 front and 1 rear rubber hoses.......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:25 pm