VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

back seats

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

back seats Empty back seats

Post by dix Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:46 pm

has any one installed rear seats from a mini van of so how well did it work ??? i would like to use something that nocks down to a bed . any ideas???? thanks
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

back seats Empty Re: back seats

Post by VANagain Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Good question! Back in the day I made a great, versatile bed out of 2x4s and milk crates, but it didn't make for a good seat for passengers.

It would be handy to compile a list of modern day minivan rear seats and rate them on their fit in our vans, how flat they fold down, ease of removal, etc. There have been so many vans and minivans, there must be some perfect candIdates for early vans. I'll dig up a couple photos of a couple I've seen.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 pm

I am building my bed in the back of my van so it folds into a seat. I have a bed out of a full size conversion van that I removed the upholstery off the back and narrowed the top of the frame 4" then put back together...it fits and works fine but decided it was just too much trouble to build around the way I wanted it.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:24 pm

does a full size conversion back seat/bed fit??????
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:44 pm

the width of the conversion van bed fits... When folded down into a bed it fits but the back is too wide to fold back up to a seat because of the taper of the inside walls of the van... I narrowed 4" of the top bar of the frame of the back of the seat so it would be able fold back up to a seat. I think I have some pics somewhere???
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

back seats Empty RAM Seats

Post by VANagain Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm

While in the junk yard a few years ago, I spotted some cool seats in a Dodge van, a Ram 250 Royal SE. I'd say it was mid 80s. The two bench seats could be configured to face forward, face each other, or lay flat for a bed. Look at the instruction sticker and it looks like there was a way to pop up a table between them too:

back seats Ram_se10 back seats Ram_se11 back seats Ram_se12

The seats did not go the full width of the van, so you could get past them on the passenger side. This is fine with me, I'm too tall to ever sleep sideways in a van, so I'm looking for a way to have seats that make a bed the long way. These are the best I've seen so far. I should have bought them (even though they were bright red!).
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 am

I currently have sitting in my 70, a fold down rear seat from a 89 Chevy conversion van. I haven't installed the interior panels yet, but the bottom seat brackets sit perfect between the rear wheel wells and it appears it would work fine. Yea, the body gets a little smaller as you go up, but it still looks there will be enough room to raise and lower the back of the seat. Imagine 2 of them, end to end, and have them both fold down into a bed 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. I was suprised it fit in my 70 as well as it did, I always figured a full size conversion van seat would be to wide, but in my case, it's looking like a nice option for a rear fold down seat.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 am

gp70 wrote:it still looks there will be enough room to raise and lower the back of the seat.
    Mine did fold up and down fine until I put paneling on the walls...different beds from different vans I'm sure vary in size... you need to measure the length of the top of the seat when it's folded up to see if it works with your interior.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am