VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Paint it for 50 Bucks !!!!!! ????

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Paint it for 50 Bucks  !!!!!!  ???? Empty Paint it for 50 Bucks !!!!!! ????

Post by Vanish Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 pm

I have Been following the 50 dollar Paint job Post on a couple of Different sites ... and I find it to be an Interesting Thread !!!!!! Just wanted to Bring it up here to see What you Guys Think ????? Greg over at VCVC ....HAS Posted this there ... Here's the Link :

http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005532.html

And There's Over 200 pages at MOPARTS ....

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

AND THERE's The 50.00 pant job Thread at RICK wrench ......

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-3years.html

I find it to be very Interesting Topic ................ what Do you say ??????????

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Paint it for 50 Bucks  !!!!!!  ???? Empty Re: Paint it for 50 Bucks !!!!!! ????

Post by BILLS66 Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Believe me I am not a painter of any kind but if the prep work is done couldn't you find some one with a paint booth for a small fee to let you paint the whole van at once or even shoot it for you .Of course I know paint materials are exspensive but for a little extra money on paint maybe get a nice job? Bill
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm

You Know Bill ... I Kinda Agree with you ...... But I also feel Like it Makes a Guy Feel Like Hey I can Do this all By my self .... and with Not a lot of Money out of Pocket ..... This Topic will bring a Lot of Diffrent Ideas For sure .......

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I hear you I have a ton of respect for anyone doing this !!! Bill

Post by Guest Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:35 pm

I used Rustoleum to paint this 59 panel several years ago. It took three days but it turned out pretty good. You have to be careful when thinning it. It has to be just right . A lot of sanding but worth it

Paint it for 50 Bucks  !!!!!!  ???? Early-10

Post by Guest Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Interesting............I'll have to try it to Ester, so that she's 1 color.

I rattle canned a 69 Chevy P/U like, 20 years ago, and after sanding it looked pretty good.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:03 am

Paint it for 50 Bucks  !!!!!!  ???? 100_0210 ipaintedthe b5 blue, and the wole under cariage. base/clear coat. in my little garage. the paint was more than 50 bucks. it can be done. and spray gun, cheap one from sears.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:52 am

Well I'm no expert, I have painted my share of trucks and vans. Prep materials cost $50 these days. The only car I painted on the cheap was a 62 Buick . I removed the rotton vinel top( it was more like a sponge) fixed the rot . And shot it with rustolium white . If my memory is right I gave it four coats of white two coats of primer. I mix the rustolium 50/50 with laquor thinner. It is holding up to this day, Sold the car to a friend six years ago. Id guess the paint is nine or ten years ago. Its not a trophy winner but good for a daily driver.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:19 pm

I rolled an 85 Cavalier with black Tremclad... I hated it! It was a difficult job, and required more sanding than I cared for... Tremclad / Rustoleum is difficult to sand or to apply smooth. Getting the proper thinning was a bit of a science too.

However, I would bet that being able to spray it would yield better results. It was said that this would defeat the purpose of rolling the paint on and avoiding mess / overspray / waste.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 am

I use a Devilbis gun, its old (suction type) I paint a couple of frames, undercarriges every year with rustolium. Id imagine a roller or brush would yeild horrible results affraid If you ever plan on spraying get some paint strainers and mix real good. It lays down pretty easy. WEAR A RESPERATOR AND GLOVES! Safety first!

Paint it for 50 Bucks  !!!!!!  ???? Empty $50 paint job can be a great idea

Post by Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:25 pm

I have been reading allot about it as well, and it sounds like a great idea.

While its obviously cheap, less mess, and feasible for a rookie like me, it also offers the practical advantage of easy maintenance. You have a one coat paint job, (no clear coat over top), that you can do touch ups and repairs on any time and just buff blend it in invisibly. So if and when you ever want to sell this car, your investment return of the minimal effort for retouch has a massive value increasing return on it. Considering the amount of work this is, there's a narrow range of appropriate vehicle I would do this on. If it were my crap daily driver, then its not worth this effort. If it were something with a potentially high return for restoration, for get it. But for a vehicle like our van's, it makes sense. If you paint it like this now, it will take at least the lifetime of that paint job before our van's reach a half century old status which will hopefully finally make them worth a bit of money, at which point maybe they would be worth the powder coat in the vented booth. Its a simple $$ return formula. For some reason, while cool looking, and real old, our van's still aren't demanding the big bucks. There are no "van speculators" out there.

As for the method itself, from what I have gathered, the "roll and tip" technique is the way to go. I guess its all about how to minimize the air bubbles and roller marks to minimize the potentially huge amount of water sanding. Well that and the obvious key of getting the right ratio of mineral spirits and paint. I would have a few initial projects like extra car body parts, beer fridge, or even properly primed plastic items to practice on first to develope the skill, because the 'Stupid Tax' for screwing up on a big canvas like a car is wet sanding carpel tunnel. No fun.

From what I have read and seen in images, it seems that if you were to go with a gloss black or white for any car that does not need to be show room ready, this is the way to do it. If I wanted a specific colour, I would want some depth from the sparkle of metal flakes in the paint, and I believe you can't use this method with that kind of paint. And I think you also have to clear coat that kind of paint, because you have to protect the metal flecks from oxidizing and turning into black specs, (I think that's what I read somewhere). I think the finish of any other colour, while shiny, would lack the impact of depth from a two part paint and clear coat. Somehow you can get away with out that when your doing just a gloss white or gloss black.

So as my 66 G10 is currently white, and I have some body changes to do, (roll pans patch, and triangular window, chevy emblem removal + million golf ball dents), I think this is my plan for way down the road after I make it go faster, (priority one).

Heavy
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Gloss black magnifies imperfections in the prep... but there are a dozen or so colours... if your prep is good, then I'd say Gloss black is workable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:45 am