VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van?

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? Empty Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Wanting to do one. Would like to make it look similiar to this Swiss unit. But street legal. Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? E-ehgq10

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? Empty Re: Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 pm

K5 axles are the easiest swap. If you do a search, you will find that Vanish is a wealth of info on the convertion.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? Empty Re: Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van?

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Dale .... WELCOME IN !!!!! GREAT TO HAVE YA WITH US HERE .......... We have done up three of them ...... here's a couple of pic's .....

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? 69028852_o5JNd-S

Has anyone done a 4WD conversion on the 64-66 G Van? Cid__0_01

What Do you have in mind for running Gear . ?????????

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Vanish wrote:Dale .... WELCOME IN !!!!! GREAT TO HAVE YA WITH US HERE .......... We have done up three of them.
    What Do you have in mind for running Gear . ?????????

Thanks for the warm welcome! That's why I'm here. To get advise from the pros!
    I am at pre-stage 1: Making a shopping list!
    Don't want to spend money on a donor that's not the best choice.
    As you can see from the pic of the Swiss Army vehicle, My idea may be a little warped!
    The big picture is an All Terrain 66 with the looks of a Hummer! affraid

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:06 pm

On a 4wd conversion, What axle assembly is closest to stock dimensions? And do you have much room to play with? My assumption is that the driveshaft will have to be made. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated! Very Happy
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Dale ....I would go with a Dana 44 Front end and a 12 Bolt rear end .... BLAZER OR CHEVY TRUCK 6 LUG ..... and a dana 300 Transfer case .... What size motor are ya gonna run ?????? M.K. Was telling me about a jeep front end that comes a little closer ... maybe he will chime in here ... But you want open knuckel front end with disk brakes ..... go with 373 gears in front and rear ..... with a small block ...... and you got a winner ........ in my Book any way ...........

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 pm

The 74-78 Wagoneer/Cherokee wide width axles are almost an exact match WMF to WMF as the stock axles. You have to make sure that you get a flat top knuckle though, so you can put a K5 steering cap on it. The Jeep axles will require some work since there SUA instead of SOA. These are the only axles I have been able to find that are close to the stock demensions. Chevy K5 or P/U axles are an easier trade since there SOA and carry the same style steering link. Space is a premium in these vans, so you need to be careful on the T-case, the Dana 300 is good choicealong with a Dana 20 too. There are LOTS of them out there, cost wise the D-20 will be cheaper. There is alot of negative press on the 20, but dont believe it. Most of the problems with them are people using the wrong bull gear, which will eventually destroy the units inerds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:15 am