VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
61econoline
DanTheVanMan
7 posters

surgery yesterday

surgery yesterday Empty surgery yesterday

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Well after 5 1/2 hours of surgery that was supposed to be 3 hours I am home.Four incisions on my left shoulder. They reshaped my clavicle by shaving several inches of bone off of it and cutting off two inches of bone in another place and one inch in another place plus they repaired the torn rotators cuff and cut the tendon that goes from the shoulder through the biceps, down the forearm to the hand and then they stapled it off so it won't grow back. Once it heals they will do pretty much the same thing to my right shoulder. Fun, fun,fun.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

surgery yesterday Empty Re: surgery yesterday

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm

WOW Mike,
    Sounds like a heck of a time. Went through it to when I got back from Iraq after the plan crash.. Took me 6 months to learn how to walk and use my hands & arms again. Hope everything heals well and the other shoulder goes well to. Remember not to try to push your luck.... A lesson I learned! pirat

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

surgery yesterday Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 pm

hope you get well soon take it easy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Get well soon VB

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:WOW Mike,
    Sounds like a heck of a time. Went through it to when I got back from Iraq after the plan crash.. Took me 6 months to learn how to walk and use my hands & arms again. Hope everything heals well and the other shoulder goes well to. Remember not to try to push your luck.... A lesson I learned! pirat
    first thanks for service and sorry you were injured. I was wounded four times in Nam. Once by a grenade and three times by mortars. The last mortar hit three feet from me and killed my entire special ops team. Luckily for me I had just sat down so most of the blast went over my head but I still caught over 100 pieces of shrapnel. Two medics came and put me on a stretcher and started to carry me to a bunker but over 50 more mortars started hitting all around us and the two medics dropped me and ran for the bunker. It was then that I heard someone yelling for a medic and I saw a captain on the ground about 30 feet from me suffering from a leg wound so I crawled over to him, had him lay on my back and put his arms around my neck then low crawled about fifty meters to the bunker. After the mortar attack stopped they took me to a forward aid station along with 33 other wounded GIs. I was the most seriously wounded so they wanted to operate on me first. They wanted to amputate both legs just below the hip but I persuaded them to lay me aside and operate on the other 33 people that were wounded first so that they would have more time to concentrate on saving my legs rather than take the quick and easy way out by amputation. I was in surgery for 26 hours and then went into a coma that I did not come out of for a little over six weeks. Woke up in Japan. They told me then that I would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I actually spent seven years in the chair then many years on crutches and a cane. I can walk pretty good now although my knees give out on me a lot. What was really crazy was the army and the red cross both went to my wifes house and my mothers house and told them I was killed in action and had been recommended for the Medal of Honor so when I called my wife from Japan she thought my call was a prank and hung up on me three times. Finally I had an army nurse call her for me and explain that I was alive but severely injured. Didn't get the Medal of Honor because I refused it and told the commanding officer that I did not do anything to deserve such a high honor. I ended up getting the silver star for getting that captain to safety, and a army commendation medal for asking the docs to operate on the other wounded first. Also got my fourth purple heart. When I got home I threw all of my medals in the trash except for that fourth purple heart.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Mike GET WELL AND GET SOME REST BUD......... !!!!!!!!!

RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Get well Mike!! Prayers for you a speedy recovery.

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 am

god speed on your recovery, one brite note- you can still raise a couple of beers with the other arm. - a little laughter helps.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:20 am

Mike ,good luck on your recovery.Whats a little shoulder surgery after all you have been through. Smile Hopefully you can still handle that knife in the kitchen,Football season is right around the corner.

mike

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone. Wish I could have a beer but can't with the antibiotics I am taking. my shoulder is sore but nothing I can't handle. I can't move my shoulder at all yet but at least I can move my elbow,wrist and hand. This is nothing compared to some of the other surgeries I have had but I am a lot older so it will take a little longer to heal. Can't drive my van is the only thing I regret about it. Need to get it to a painter to have the name painted on it and also to the upholstery shop to get the headliner and maybe some other upholstery work done. I will have the same painter do this one that did the tru fire etc. on Vanishing Breed. I decided to name the van "Route 66 Cruiser".

Post by Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:28 pm

got the bandages off today and there are six incisions not the four like I was led to believe. Still can't move my shoulder but I am working on it. I can't drive my van and that is the worst part of having the surgery.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:34 pm