VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
VANagain
6 posters

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Empty Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons

Post by VANagain Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:52 am

Here's a Consumer Reports road test from July 1966 comparing the Ford Falcon Club Wagon, Chevy Sportvan, and Dodge Sportsman. Spoiler alert: Only one gets their Acceptable rating for passenger-car family service!!

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum16

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum10 Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum12 Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum11 Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum15 Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum14 Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Consum13

wylee, gfleduc and 66CampWagon like this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Empty Re: Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:58 pm

......at least it looks nice  Rich,,,,,,,,,,

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Not_ac10

66CampWagon likes this post

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Empty Re: Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons

Post by gfleduc Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 am

thank-you for sharing.

Why does the article refer to themself as "CU"?
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Consumer Reports tests Family Bus-Wagons Empty Consumer Reports

Post by uncle ron Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:13 pm

Glad I didn't read this report 53 years ago , I never would have bought my van .  .lol

66CampWagon
    66CampWagon

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2021-05-07

Post by 66CampWagon Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:22 pm

Gary: CU stands for Consumers Union which is what they used to call themselves.

gfleduc likes this post

66CampWagon
    66CampWagon

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2021-05-07

Post by 66CampWagon Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:59 pm

What a great article, thanks for posting! It makes me realize that all my work on drivability may be back to original condition and as good as it gets: hard to steer, wild braking, poor handling, oversteer, noisy, in otherwords the A100 experience.

It makes me wonder if a proportioning valve might be a good idea for the rear, but I have not experienced rear wheel lockup. It might be happening and I am too busy trying to control the steering that I don't notice!

wylee likes this post

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:33 pm

This review is fun, including info for all of us A, G, and E owners! I am not surprised by the low ratings they gave. I don’t know about you but I’ve always thought it was a stretch to take these cargo vans, add back seats and windows, and call them family wagons! Station wagons were always going to be more comfortable. But our vans are so much cooler! Cool

wylee and 66CampWagon like this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:23 am

,,,,,,,,fun like saying a woman would have a hard time turning the steering wheel and a person has to be taller than 5'4 to reach the gas pedal,,,,,,,,,

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:49 am

These vehicles were engineered to be local work vehicles..... They were never intended to be high-speed, comfortable travel vehicles until the first hooded Fords upped the ante....
    Adding seats and windows was marketing, not engineering!
    Station wagons were the safe, comfortable way to transport your family back then and today's minivan has more in common with station wagons than it does with vans....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:57 am