VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Badge fasteners?

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Badge fasteners? Empty Badge fasteners?

Post by AzDon Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:40 am

So I'm to the point where I am contemplating removing all the factory badges temporarily to sand, primer, and prep for paint on my 108.....
    I easily confirmed that all the side and rear badges have nuts on the backside....
    I'm uncertain, though, about what fastens the bowtie to the front...
    I suspect that push-in clips secure it, but I don't want to make any mistakes that could damage the bowtie or the body.......
    Seeking guidance!
    Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Number of posts : 250
    Registration date : 2012-07-08

Badge fasteners? Empty Re: Badge fasteners?

Post by Camaro Addict Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:43 pm

You can pop those 2 small clips that hold the front bowtie off. My 69 is a gmc so I have 6 clips. I bought all new clips from Sands Chevrolet in the late 1990s when I bought a complete van that had new looking emblems. I am picky and want every factory emblem on my vans that they came with. The front emblems have tiny sleeve type clips ,you can keep the clips on and sand real close to them . I have seen new clips sold on ebay and if they get damaged you may be able to find them at a dealer but unfortunately our vans have no way of getting behind the nose to put the nuts on which I know is why they put the sleeve clips on the front emblems
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:08 am

The front emblem does use barrel / tubular nuts (slip fit) to hold the emblem on.

replacement nuts:
    retromotive #1325
    or
    southernfastenersupply #104

Camaro Addict likes this post

Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Post by Camaro Addict Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:35 am

gfleduc thank you for the part info , my 66 doesn't have her front Bowtie and I'm going to try and find the holes,the bowtie is inside the van with all the spare parts and it bothers me not being on there.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am

Well, I ordinarily prefer all badging removed and holes filled, but my 69 came with the complete set of factory badges attached and even a metal badge from Midway Chevrolet in phoenix placed above the left side "ChevyVan" emblem, so I'll just remove them temporarily for paint and clean them up for re-install...
    Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Post by Camaro Addict Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:04 pm

Your van most likely has been in Arizona since she left the factory. It's cool she came with all the emblems intact as most are missing half or all now a days. I put a GMC square emblem on the left rear door underneath her license plate off a 77 gmc vandura because people told me she looks like a Ford in the back but that is going to come off ,I have never seen a handivan with a rear wmblem or badge
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:43 pm

let us know if you need dimension for the hole locations
    Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Post by Camaro Addict Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:32 pm

gfleduc I tried looking at pics of the flat windows to get an idea of where the holes go, I wonder if some of the vans came without front emblems so they never had holes ,the emblem I found in the box may have came from a different van
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:02 am

They all come with the bowtie holes.  Enen the GMC vanes have the bowtie holes; The Letters covered them.   Maybe the nose was replaced in an earlier life?

On the one you have what is the P/N on the back? Original was 3838514 replaced by 3961347.
    Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Post by Camaro Addict Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:23 pm

The Bowtie that was in a parts box has the 3838514 first number so I guess it's the right and an original emblem for a flat window. The box had headlight rims and inside door handles, arm rests all parts he took off the van to start fixing the van . Where do you find all the info ? I have bought a bunch of ads ,articles and even build sheets for the 64-70 chevy -GMC g10 vans but I put it all up after we moved I just put them in plastic and pinned them on the wall like pictures I never read any of it
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:01 am

OJT - & questions here will get it together

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:00 am