VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with??

gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with?? Empty Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with??

Post by gotdurt Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 am

The doghouse in my van came with shiny new nuts/bolts fastening it to the floor... I suspect it didn't use nuts/bolts originally though, because it would be a PITA to remove the doghouse that way; holding the nut under the floor and wrenching the bolt from above. Was there an easier fastening system originally? Google didn't reveal anything. I want to explore options before I proceed welding the nuts under floor...
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with?? Empty Re: Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with??

Post by Casimier Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 am

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with?? Empty Re: Doghouse fasteners - what did these come with??

Post by econopoor Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

The fender nuts that casimier posted are not the correct item to use. Sorry Jim. The fender nuts won't fit over the lip on the doghouse opening in the floor. The correct thing to use is cage nuts. the early ones were 5/16ths fine thread and later Econolines used 5/16ths coarse thread. The fine thread ones are no longer available but the coarse work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-cage-nuts-5-16-18-caged-nut-/370530917700?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56455d1d44&vxp=mtr

You can get them in bulk cheaper.

Duane in Tennessee
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Cool thanks. Hopefully nothing was modified in a way that I can't go back to the cage nuts... As for fine or coarse, coarse is faster anyway.
    gavinator
    gavinator

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2014-01-14

Post by gavinator Sat May 17, 2014 12:13 am

mexbob
    mexbob

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2014-11-15

Post by mexbob Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:37 am

This is where I purchased mine, two(2) packs of ten(10) each at $7.00 each.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90680a146/=vg7dde

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm