VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size

SuomiBjorn
    SuomiBjorn

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2021-08-14

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Empty Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size

Post by SuomiBjorn Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 1010
    Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 610

We have started upgrading the brake lines and replacing the single master cylinder.
    when I took the back brakes apart I noticed that the cylinders were definitely not the7/8"
    or 1 1/16" that we had expected. They have offset bolt pattern like the fronts and when I took them apart they are 1 1/8" bore. I  have searched a Bunch and cant find any reference to that size for these vans and the part number on the cylinder doesn't show up.
    also the 1 1/16" Cylinders and rebuild kits seem to be scarce.
    Any suggestions on what size cylinder would fit the backing pates I have on the rear?
    Rear end is a 12 Bolt, brake shoes are 2 1/2" wide.
    could just be PO with some Frankenstein parts?

pics postedUnexpected Rear brake cylinder size 110
    Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 510
    Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 710
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Empty Re: Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:10 pm

The 1st gen Chevys have the metal line go straight in and 2 bolts above them,,,,,,so lets see if someone has the rear wheel cylinders with the offset inlet and diagonal bolt holes,,,,,,sure looks like a front wheel cylinder for a rubber hose but those parking brake cable holes make it a rear backing plate,,,,,,,,,from,,,,,something,.

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Dscn0147

savage, SuomiBjorn and Hawtcoffee like this post

SuomiBjorn
    SuomiBjorn

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Empty Re: Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size

Post by SuomiBjorn Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks donivan
    I think I will try to rebuild the cylinders I have here First but may need to
    get a hold of some proper backing plates eventually to get everything back to
    normal.
    It will be interesting to see if anyone else has seen anything like this before.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:44 pm

There are variables,,,,,The 64 Chevy vans had the 10 and 12 bolt rear ends,,,,and 5 slot grilles,,,,then they called the leftover ones 1965's until about May 1965 where they  then  made  6 slot grille ones, changed the wheel cylinders, called them 1965's also  and a added  a SportVan model,,,,,and what was GMC doing at this time,,,,,they added a HandiBus model,,,,,,the GMC were rated as a more heavier duty vehicle than Chevys.
    So I guess what we need is some information from GMC van owners,  does anyone see diagonal bolt holes and an offset brake line when they look at their rear backing plates on their vans like the one on the right here?  

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 61010
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:13 am

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Img_0636
    Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Img_0635
    Pics of 52 year old brake cylinders off my 68 G-20 van. (wondered Why they didn't work too good??)
    Had to down size to next closes size($25. EA). (They wanted $255. EA to sleeve them)

SuomiBjorn likes this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:11 pm

So more variables,,,,,GMC has Step vans and pick ups and there are some settings that only apply to vehicles made in CANADA,,,,,,,,,,but here is a parts listing for GMC.....

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Dscn0149

savage and SuomiBjorn like this post

SuomiBjorn
    SuomiBjorn

Post by SuomiBjorn Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Certainly looks like there were a lot of variables in the 64-65
    Range. Donivan I think you are onto something with the fact that
    This Handivan was manufactured in Canada, could be the other 
    missing variable here.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:18 pm

So whats the plan,,,,,,see what is on the front,,,,,,,see if it is 1 1/8",,,,,,see if it has the same bolt pattern,,see if hose connection can be adapted to metal flare,,,,,,,order rebuild kit for the front if its 1 1/8" and rebuild rear cylinders,,,,,,,,,if,,,,,,,,,,rust was sleeping....
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Empty Rear Brake

Post by gfleduc Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:39 am

Ah - I have a brother on the rear axle - Nope, not so much a Frankenstein by PO
    Let me ask/guess is your van is 1965 with 4:11 (2900 lb) rear?
    On the upper side of your cylinders there maybe a date code cast in - that may give a hint if the Ø1-1/8" cylinders are later installed parts.

I have a 1965 parts book & Ø 1-1/16 cylinders are listed for the van.  Note: The 3:36 rear axle vans are different

I pulled my parts off & rebuilt them. I have 1-1/16 all around (Delco parts) diagonal bolt patterns.   With the backing plates having the diagonal bolt pattern not so much a though of a mod by a PO.

For cylinder P/N's the tricky part is that the casting numbers are not the same as the GM cylinder assy numbers.

For example wheel cylinders assy for the van
      Left: Assy 5465445   <--  {casting # 5462965}
    Right: Assy 5465446   <--  {casting # 5462966}

For Ø 1-1/16" rebuild kits:
    1-1/16"  GM 5465084 | 173-116 | 173-127 | 906-VP
    1-1/16"  ACDELCO ACD 18G29 | 18031208 - Not marked Delco; has 49262 (same as ORielly's BrakeBest)
    1-1/16"  BrakeBest BHH WC46349
    1-1/16" Dorman R823G

Don't think you need it - I have a listing of Ø1-1/8" P/N's with the same "diagonal" wheel cylinder bolt pattern - PM me your email address & I can send you documents.

On the subject for the rear shoes, the 2-1/2" wide ones are correct - P/N 3846099.   I went to great lengths to run down a new set (the auto parts places offer 2" for the rear.) All said and done I did a rare parts search & found some NOS P/Ns.  After all that I matched up the shoes & I will be damned they were IDENTICAL to the front 2-1/2" GM shoes P/N 3886395.

Just for discussion it struck me as odd that the rear shoes were the same size as the fronts.  I expected smaller braking component in the rear.   I can only speculate that GM balanced both the front & rear cylinders the same size & balanced the same size brake shoes.  Maybe some consideration for the low rear axle gear ratios - I don't know...

Let me know if you need more data...

Last edited by gfleduc on Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Dorman seal kit P/number)
    SuomiBjorn
    SuomiBjorn

Post by SuomiBjorn Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Thanks for all the info gfleduc 
    It’s good to know that there are more like this out there!
    And this morning I checked the rear ratio at guess what …4:11
    I dug through a bunch of receipts the PO gave me with the van
    And it looks like all cylinders were swapped out at one point or 
    Another so no original parts. I did pull the fronts as well and 
    They were 1 1/16” bore. As for my plan of attack I have 
    All new for the front and have ordered a rebuild for the back.
    If they don’t work out I would consider putting the front hose
    Style on the rear with a hose fitting with crush washer to flare.
    I will pm you if I need those other documents you mentioned.
    Mystery may be solved!
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size Empty Brakes

Post by gfleduc Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Well - you may be lucky to know I have been watching these for over a year - I was watching in case my rebuilds did not hold up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162725979000?hash=item25e3396378:g:iNQAAOSw-5dZ8Wa6

Was not sure - Question do you mind sharing photo's or the numbers on your fronts (if they are the originals...  Also your master cylinder is you have it off the van.
    SuomiBjorn
    SuomiBjorn

Post by SuomiBjorn Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Nice work on the EBay find.
    Hopefully neither of us will need them but who knows.
    You get first Dibs.
    I have attached master cylinder part number it is in pretty rough
    Shape but I think it is G4 57
    Also the fronts aren’t original but I took a pic anyhow.Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size 78b7f610
    Unexpected Rear brake cylinder size F4030810
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:11 am

Thank-you for the photo's

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:35 pm