VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

C4 no reverse sometime's

economan
    economan

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2013-01-12

C4 no reverse sometime's Empty C4 no reverse sometime's

Post by economan Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:13 pm

So I have my truck up and running now. I have the C4 transmission that been rebuild and it wont go into reverse most of the time. So was wondering if any one has any idea's what it might be. Any help would be appreciated thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

C4 no reverse sometime's Empty Re: C4 no reverse sometime's

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Does it seem like a shift linkage problem  or the truck wont move when the trans is in reverse?  Is the dipstick correct so that you have the right amount of fluid in it?
    economan
    economan

Post by economan Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm

I rebuild the transmission in it and I'm using Vic's shifting cable. I've checked the trans fluid and it's to the full mark. I've cked the adjustment on the shifting cable but it could still be it ??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:23 pm

So you are saying you start up in PARK and when you shift to R, it just acts like its still in PARK? what happens if you then shift to NEUTRAL and then try REVERSE again,,,,,and then try P to R and N to R ,,,,,SLOWLY,,,,to see if you catch reverse.....you are saying the shifter works and can go through all gears and not just sticks in Park and wont move to R sometimes?
    economan
    economan

Post by economan Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:17 pm

It will shift from park to reverse to neutral then in to drive. It will move in drive every time but when go back in to reverse it wont back up. Then all a sudden it will go in to reverse then I can go in to drive and drive it around then try to back it up in to the shop no reverse
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm

We are are still looking for clues,,,,,so if you put the trans in neutral and slowly shift to Reverse, does it catch reverse,,,,,how about wiggling it in reverse,,,,how about keeping the engine revved up to build up pump pressure and see if reverse catches when you shift into it,,,,,,does it make a difference if you are facing uphill or downhill when all this happens ?
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 am

donivan65 wrote:We are are still looking for clues,,,,,so if you put the trans in neutral and slowly shift to Reverse, does it catch reverse,,,,,how about wiggling it in reverse,,,,how about keeping the engine revved up  to build up pump pressure and see if reverse catches when you shift into it,,,,,,does it make a difference if you are  facing uphill or downhill when all this happens ?
    same here, looking for clues. internal or linkage? does it slip or is it go/no go? is it completely random or more so when going from park to reverse/neutral to reverse? i modified my 2 speed powerglide shifter to work on my overdrive trans. (4 forward gears). while "almost" perfect, it will occasionally click into reverse on shifter but not engage at trans. (from park). all other detents spot on and not worth the trouble to add 1/32" back on reverse detent. in your case (if an engagement issue), it may be as simple as an adjustment. when you set up your linkage/cable, set it up so trans. engages park when shifter is just leaving reverse and at the edge of park detent. this insures that if shifter clicks into park, your trans. is definately in park. you can fine tune if needed but better than barely being in park. as don said, try wiggling the shifter next time and see if it engages.
    economan
    economan

Post by economan Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 pm

Ok so some time when I go from park to reverse it will go in to reverse then will go in to neutral then in to drive. when i go back in to reverse no reverse. I can move the shifter around still nothing in revers. I can go back in to drive and it go in to drive no problem.
    I'm going to try and readjust the reverse band on it and see what happens.
    Thanks for the help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 pm

Maybe take some white out or chalk and when it does go into reverse, shut off engine, leave shift lever where it is, go put a mark on trans lever, then, when you see that there is no reverse, shut off engine, leaver shift lever where it is, go see if you marks still line up,,,,,you are looking to see if trans lever always ends up in the same place when you shift down from P to R,,,,,and,,,,up from D to R.....lets see if the linkage changes travel when you shift up or down,,,,,where is your shifter,,,,Dash, column, or floor??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:50 am