VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

How do I get this thing in reverse?

booboojerkers

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-04-14

How do I get this thing in reverse? Empty How do I get this thing in reverse?

Post by booboojerkers Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Got a new project: 64 Chevy G10. It was towed to my house originally so I didn't have the nerve to drive it (too scared of the unknown brakes going out in my hilly neighborhood). But I was feeling daring, wreckless yet curious the other day so I took it out for our first maiden voyage together. Got it in 1st and what felt like 3rd (couldn't find 2nd though), but the real question became: WHERE IS REVERSE??? Can someone give me tips on how this model normally goes in reverse? Maybe the gear shift is broken or just me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

How do I get this thing in reverse? Empty Re: How do I get this thing in reverse?

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 am

Well the most common problem is that the bushings are worn out and the levers don't move correctly. Look on the side of the trans and see where the rods that come all the way from the front to the levers on the trans are. That rear lever is 1st and Reverse,,,,,(reverse is when the lever moves forward) See if those rods and levers are tight and not sloppy. The whole idea is that each lever on the trans has a neutral position and if the other lever is not in neutral, then the lock out will not let you shift into that gear,,,,,so everytime you shift, you need to return that gear back to neutral before you go onto the next gear,,,,,and worn bushings or loose levers don't let that happen,,,,,

How do I get this thing in reverse? 700r4_17
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

How do I get this thing in reverse? Empty Re: How do I get this thing in reverse?

Post by RodStRace Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 am

donnivan65 has got it!
    The linkage is bound up, causing you to be unable to shift.
    For a test run, you can probably climb under the van and move each lever a bit in it's normal path to get it unstuck. With the engine off, have someone move the shifter through the pattern and watch the linkage. You will probably see all sorts of funky monkey motion. Switch places and see if you can learn to finesse the shifter enough to get it into each gear. If you can on a regular basis, test drive. If not, that needs attention before the drive. Some slop can be fixed quickly, but unless you go through and fix it all, you run the risk of having it jam up and having to fix it where and when it happens. This is a great antitheft device, but it also makes the thing pretty unreliable and unsafe.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 am

1st of all, make sure both rods move when you move the shift lever handle. Check that rear lever on the transmission, it likes to come loose,,,,,and those bushings at the front of the rods behind the grille like to wear out,,,,,,

How do I get this thing in reverse? Shift_11
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks guys, I'll get underneath and check it out. So, a simple question: on a working transmission, when your sitting in the drivers seat, how would the G10 normally shift? Lever up/forward=1st, next down=2nd, next down=3rd, next down=reverse or what? Please tell me the normal shift positions in the drivers seat?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Ok,,,,,,you need to activate those 2 long rods that go to the levers that go on the transmission so you pick up on the lever and pull it to you,,,,,this causes the shaft that goes down towards the brake pedal to lift up and it engages the top lever that is on the bottom of the shift column behind the grill. And that moves the 1st and reverse long rod towards the back and moves the back lever back and that is 1st gear. Same deal for going into reverse,,,,,pick up the shift lever and push it forward,,,,,that puts the transmission in reverse. If you just push the shift lever forward without picking up on it, that is 2nd Gear,,,,pull it towards you is 3rd gear. So you got to pick the lever up to find 1st or Reverse,,,,,it kind of always is in 2nd or 3rd. And they call this 3 on the tree or the "H" pattern.
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for the help! So it seems like the 1st and reverse don't work then. I'll have to do some work on the shifter/tranny before I can start driving it. When I went driving the other day I must have been just using 2nd and 3rd. Not bad for my first try...getting it to start from a dead stop in 2nd gear!!! LOL!! When I lift up and shift nothing happens, it's like its disconnected...let you know what I see...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 am

If you cant get the shift lever to lift the shaft that goes down along the shift column, then the end of the shift lever is broken off,,,,,,,(common problem if you get stuck in a gear and get too mean with it.). Knock that pin out at the shift collar and pull the shifter lever out,,,,,there should be a ball on the end of it,,,,,,,unless,,,,,,someone was mean,,,,,,,,
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:47 pm

So I've checked underneath and the part that hooks up the first-reverse rod to the transmission is missing. Do you guys know what this part number is, or what it is called and how I might order one?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 pm

So,,,,,,,,is it this poorest excuse for a transmission lever that was ever invented, that is missing off the shaft coming out of the transmission and the long rod hooks to?

How do I get this thing in reverse? Workin22
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Looks like it. It's the one that the "D" with an arrow is pointing straight at in your diagram up above. Someone must have swiped it or took it off and forgot to reinstall it cause the nut with washers is still there (someone put the nut back on after they removed the lever)!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

So go back up a little higher and look at that transmission with the red side cover,,,,,,,you have the front lever which has a cross shaft towards the front and you are missing the lever towards the rear?????
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 am

Well, not exactly. It is the first-reverse lever towards the rear but I have the part that's in the diagram, not the part in the photo. My tranny has a threaded shaft with a rectangular fitting, not a shaft with gear teeth. It's going to be the part in the mechanical drawing. Do you know the part number so I can search for it or maybe where I can order one?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am

I don't even know what transmission you got yet,,,,,,How many bolts in the side cover,,,,,you should have 4,,,,,,,or you got some other kind of transmission in there,,,,,,,does it hang down from the floor with a mount?
    Do you have a picture,,,,,,,there are no part numbers,,,,they don't make that part anymore,,,,,you need to find another one,,,,,,or make one,,,,when you find out what you need,,,,,,,,,does the front lever have that pipe going to it,,,,,,is the rear set up for a cross shaft like that?

How do I get this thing in reverse? 65_3_s10
    booboojerkers

Post by booboojerkers Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm

I'll try to post a picture later. It is the tranny in the mechanical drawing that you posted on the early part of this thread. It's an original stock tranny like the drawing. I'll try to get a used one or make one I suppose.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Pictures really do make it a hundred times easier to understand what you need.

Sometimes other Vanners have what you need, or know where to get it.

There are a few threads on picture posting if you have trouble.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/picture-posting-101-help-only-not-for-individual-picture-posting-f42/posting-pictures-using-forum-s-servimg-t119.htm?highlight=picture+posting
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Ok,,,,,new plan,,,,,,,this might be what you need and its part number,,,,,so try the Chevy Dealer and see if it is still being made,,,,,it might fit something else,,,,,,but they only used it 1 time on the vans,,,,,,and do a post in G Van Parts Wanted,,,,,,maybe someone has one,,,,,,or just make one,,,,

How do I get this thing in reverse? 1andr_10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:09 am