VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

New Project

El_Fakir
    El_Fakir

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2013-08-01

New Project Empty New Project

Post by El_Fakir Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:11 pm

New Project 52903c13

Arrrr, posting photos make feel like caveman. Smash. Smash!

Hi Guys,

I sold my 68 G20 about 3 years ago, and just picked up a new project. '67 A100 Sportsman.  Currently has a 318 and 727 that needs rebuilding, so I'm taking the opportunity to convert to manual trans. Have already picked up a manual steering column, an 833 OD 4 speed, small block V8 bellhousing, and transmission cross member from an early 70s Volare.  Looking for pedal clusters, if anybody has any!

The hope is to put together a surf van that gets decent (ha) mpg cruising around the Olympic Peninsula at 55-60 mph; the 833OD has a final ratio of .73ish to 1, so that should get me closer than the 1:1 auto trans. Still need to dial in my ideas about shift linkage. Thinking either shifting the 1-4 from the column and Reverse from the old auto selector on the dash, or figuring out some hot heim joint/threaded rod action for a floor shifter setup. There's a local old-timer who's done that with his A100, but its tricky getting him to take pictures/let me check out his setup...

If anybody has thoughts about 318s built with economy in mind, I would love to hear about carburation/intake/distributors, etc etc etc...

Nice to be back in vintage van land.

berlinpaar112 likes this post

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

New Project Empty Re: New Project

Post by Keith D Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Looks like a great project, and your on your way with getting the parts needed to accomplish it.

BTW...Like the old school shovelhead Smile

As far as gas mileage goes it sounds like you are after gas mileage and not performance. If that is the case I would run 15 inch tires, keep the rear end gears in the low 3s or high 2s.

One the 318 I would run a four barrel carb around 450-500 cfm with vacuum secondaries (keep you foot out of it), headers if you can, a modern dual plane manifold, and electronic ignition with a hotter coil. If you plan on rebuilding the engine keep the compression reasonable.

That's my thoughts.

El_Fakir likes this post

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Dig it!

El_Fakir likes this post

El_Fakir
    El_Fakir

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2013-08-01

Post by El_Fakir Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot guys!
    Keith, would you say then that, I keep the compression stock and not bump up anything with any head changing or head work? You're right, I'm after MPG vs performance...

I just finished that shovelhead a couple months ago, I've been carting it around in parts for years and finally got it all dialed in. simple and fun.

berlinpaar112 likes this post

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:59 am

El_Fakir wrote:Thanks a lot guys!
    Keith, would you say then that, I keep the compression stock and not bump up anything with any head changing or head work? You're right, I'm after MPG vs performance...

I just finished that shovelhead a couple months ago, I've been carting it around in parts for years and finally got it all dialed in. simple and fun.

If you do bump the compression don't bump it much. Maybe some gearheads can give you their opinion. It is my understanding that a lower compression will help with MPG. Of course if you change the cam go mild. This will also help the van run cooler.
    berlinpaar112
    berlinpaar112

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2019-08-29

Post by berlinpaar112 Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 am

El_Fakir wrote:New Project 52903c13

Arrrr, posting photos make feel like caveman. Smash. Smash!

Hi Guys,

I sold my 68 G20 about 3 years ago, and just picked up a new project. '67 A100 Sportsman.  Currently has a 318 and 727 that needs rebuilding, so I'm taking the opportunity to convert to manual trans. Have already picked up a manual steering column, an 833 OD 4 speed, small block V8 bellhousing, and transmission cross member from an early 70s Volare.  Looking for pedal clusters, if anybody has any!

The hope is to put together a surf van that gets decent (ha) mpg cruising around the Olympic Peninsula at 55-60 mph; the 833OD has a final ratio of .73ish to 1, so that should get me closer than the 1:1 auto trans. Still need to dial in my ideas about shift linkage. Thinking either shifting the 1-4 from the column and Reverse from the old auto selector on the dash, or figuring out some hot heim joint/threaded rod action for a floor shifter setup. There's a local old-timer who's done that with his A100, but its tricky getting him to take pictures/let me check out his setup...

If anybody has thoughts about 318s built with economy in mind, I would love to hear about carburation/intake/distributors, etc etc etc...

HAVE FUN WITH THE PROJECT ;; GREETINGS FROM GERMANY BERLIN

Nice to be back in vintage van land.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 pm

welcome to vintage vans

Sponsored content