VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
MDVANMAN
TurboVan
AzDon
7 posters

Fuel Tanks!

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Fuel Tanks! Empty Fuel Tanks!

Post by AzDon Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm aware that Van's Auto has direct replacement tanks for second gen for $175, but I wanted a tank that accommodates an in-tank fuel module, so I kept looking.....

I found that the 22 gallon tank that GM put in 78-95 vans fits the second gen van with 4" extra length to spare ....It's a two inch deeper tank and must hang an extra inch below the floor and it's a couple of inches wider, but the tank is available for carb'd vans or in-tank pumps......

I'm reasonably certain these tanks will not fit a first gen because the distance from the fill spout to the front of the tank matches that of a second gen tank... it's shorter at the back of the tank...

TurboVan likes this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Fuel Tanks! Empty Re: Fuel Tanks!

Post by AzDon Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Here it is!

Fuel Tanks! Rear210

Fuel Tanks! Tntmod10

Fuel Tanks! Coverp10

Fuel Tanks! Gas_fi10

Fuel Tanks! Chains12

Fuel Tanks! Rear310

TurboVan, kiwimopar, vanny, Buddyr and Russell like this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm

A bit going on in these pics that I should explain.....First, the piece of 2x2x1/4 receiver tube stuck into the chassis instead of the bumper bracket.... The spout for the new tank is 1.75 inches instead of 1.375, so the pass through the chassis for the hose needed some clearancing....I didn't want to take a chance on a weakened chassis since it's ahead of the spring shackle hanger, so I made this piece and tapped holes in it to bolt into the existing chassis in both sheer and load directions (vertical and Horizontal) much as a bolt-in c-notch would work, except inside the frame...... It is notched as much as was necessary for the fill hose....
    Next.....The new fill spout is a marine stainless screw-in (with chain) that fits a 1.5 hose, but has a spacer bushing fitting it to a 1.75 hose...... The cap is sealed (not vented) and takes a special key to unscrew......The fill vent hose for these tanks is the big metal line departing the fuel module to the left.... It will vent good being at the highest point in the tank, but I'm just going to vent it through a breather..... If I get too many fumes, I'll put the breather in a can and run a line to the air filter housing.....
    Now, for something sure to cause hate and derision..........Since this is a tank with a fuel pump in it, I cut a hole in the floor for an access panel which I've made from another piece of floor with the correct corrugation.....
    Last...... Chains instead of straps...... easier to deal with than straps and every bit as secure.....
    The mounting needed to be 2" below the floor, so special bracketry was created which I will take back apart to paint and photograph eventually....

TurboVan and kiwimopar like this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Feels a bit weird being the only reply to my own thread...
    I needed to paint up and reinstall the nesting brackets for the top of the tank and finish the access panel airtight before taking some pics....
    So here we go...

Fuel Tanks! Filltr10

Fuel Tanks! Fillsp10

This is the truss piece that slips inside the left frame rail to stiffen it where I enlarged the fill spout pass-through.... second pic is the enlarged hole...

Fuel Tanks! Tanklo10

Here we see the left front nesting block with rubber insulator pieces installed...

Fuel Tanks! Tanklo11

Backing up a bit, here are the nesting blocks laid out on top of the floor next to their bolt holes

Fuel Tanks! Tanklo12

Right front nesting block...

Fuel Tanks! Waxpap10

Access hole has clear silicone under wax paper awaiting the cover to be screwed loosely over it....

Fuel Tanks! Waxpap11

Loosely screwed together...
    Fuel Tanks! Waxpap12

So here we have clear (yellowed) silicone under wax paper carefully trimmed away outside of the masking tape line and at the edge of the hole...... Completely airtight and watertight!

savage, TurboVan and kiwimopar like this post

TurboVan
    TurboVan

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by TurboVan Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:38 pm

very cool!

kiwimopar likes this post

MDVANMAN
    MDVANMAN

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2019-05-11

Post by MDVANMAN Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi Don,

I like your gas tank setup, especially the access hole in the floor for service if needed.  One question:  did you need to move any of the crossmembers under the van to fit the 78-95 G Van tank?  I looked at a few online retailers who give specs and they list the 22 gallon tank as 22" wide, 12.3" deep and 31" long.  31" is way too long to fit the stock location on my '67 G10 90" van.  Did you modify the van, or maybe the dimensions online for the tanks are wrong?  Maybe your van is a 108 and they came with more space for a fuel tank?

Here's an example:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=971269&cc=1043660&pt=6268&jsn=1528

Sorry to play 20 questions but I have been looking for a replacement tank that will fit with as little hassle as possible and you seem to have nailed it.  Thanks for any input!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:02 am

the 67 used the leftover 1st gen 16-gal tank
    So yes, you will have to move the front (by rear end) mount forward to fit bigger tant.
    Also, might have to move filler neck on tank. To line up with hole in frame
    I Think new tank is 1 1/2-inch, fill neck hose. Van fill hose is 1 3/8 inch.
    Hope this info makes seance??

kiwimopar likes this post

MDVANMAN
    MDVANMAN

Post by MDVANMAN Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:56 am

Hi Savage,

That makes perfect sense. Looks like I might be removing that crossmember! Are they just spot welded in place?
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:17 am

Yes & Lots of them. (frame & floor)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:39 pm

I'll re-measure tomorrow, but I believe you have the length and width reversed..... I seem to remember that the 33 gallon tank is about square at 29" (tank) and 31" at the flange around the tank.... The 22 gallon tank is the same width, but shorter.... I posted more specifics like part numbers elsewhere (I'll find a link)...... I DID NOT have to move crossmembers, in fact the tank was actually shorter in length than the opening... I DID have to mount it an inch lower ond clearance the fill pipe hole through the chassis some..... Let me find the other specifics and I'll post them...
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:45 pm

I posted the thread at VCVC.org..... Here is the link:

http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/32444-Alternate-source-for-new-gas-tanks-Gas-Tank-for-in-tank-pump?highlight=fuel+tank

BTW.... Mine is for an in-tank pump, so the GM designation is "8C   the 8A tank is for external pumping and the 8B is for diesel...
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 pm

RockAuto has the Spectra GM8C tank on closeout right now for $89.79...... I looked at the info tab for the $82 tank and they indeed have the length and width numbers swapped and you can clearly see in the pic that the tank is wider than it is long......The Van's tank is an exact replica of a 68/69 tank, so if you don't do fabricating, maybe that tank is better....
    I needed an in-tank pump style tank, so the vans tank wasn't an option for me.... Also the GM8C tank has the vent tube coming out of the very highest spot on the dome and the fill tube goes a couple of inches inside the tank to help prevent right turn spout spills....
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Okay, I'm seeing that your van is a 67, but the GM8C tank is shorter in length than the 68-69 tank, so it may fit if you've got an opening 22 inches long...

savage likes this post

savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:37 am

Glad you posted Don
    Be great if he doesn't have to move the front mount.
    I have heard it's a lot of drilling, to get all of the spot welds out.
    MDVANMAN
    MDVANMAN

Post by MDVANMAN Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:45 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great info! i have a special problem in that my van is sitting on top of a 1987 K-10 chassis to make it 4x4. The truck chassis kicks up at the rear and kinda fits inside the van frame rails so it's eating up some of the fuel tank space. if this tank were 22" wide I'd be in good shape however if it's 31" wide I'm afraid my search continues.

Maybe with a brand new tank (no old gas fumes) I could have it sectioned and re-welded to fit the space.

It's snowing here today in MD so i'll be back at it whenever it all melts!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Fri May 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Most manufactured tanks are zinc plated, so welding on one could be problematic.... You may wanna look into marine tanks....
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 am

Now that the van is finished and running, I found a couple of pics to add to this thread...

Fuel Tanks! Gasven10

This pic shows the fill hose and the valve-cover breather I used as a vent hose baffle and filter

Fuel Tanks! Gas_ca10

This picture shows the sealed stainless screw-in marine gas cap I used.... No right-turn slosh!
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2021-01-17

Post by WoodButcher Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:05 pm

How is that vent working out?
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Nice tank install.   Although I have an A100, I ended up having a custom tank made - 92 litre capacity with an external pump.  Tank is baffled inside, and I had to modify the hangers much like the OP here.
    92 litres is approx 24 US Gallons.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:47 pm

WoodButcher wrote:How is that vent working out?

I haven't spilled or smelled any gas yet!
    The vent line comes out the top of the sender-pump module, which is way higher than the fuel pipe into the tank, so it's impossible to overflow the vent....
    So far, I've only filled about 2/3 because my screw cap needs a new o-ring....
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:02 am

awsome job on the tank

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:48 am