VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

2nd gen fuel tanks?

Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

2nd gen fuel tanks? Empty 2nd gen fuel tanks?

Post by Xelmon Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey fellas, it's my sorry ass again and I did some much needed wrenching today on the Chevy.

To cut to the chase, the sending unit is rusted to hell, and the gas tank looks... Well, see the picture.

2nd gen fuel tanks? 6cvp0

You could hear the rust go side to side when you rolled it on its sides.

So the question is, what now? Do I have the local radiator place burn it out, or can I get a new one?*

*I saw the posts from 2009, things may changed.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

2nd gen fuel tanks? Empty Re: 2nd gen fuel tanks?

Post by HandiVanMan Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 am

No new tanks are available so you have 2 options.
    Option 1 - Get it cleaned & coated at a radiator repair shop. If you can find one in your area that will do it.
    Option 2 - replace it with a newer gas tank out of a 3rd gen Chevy van. There are some modifications that has to be done on the swap out. You can find some info on the modifications that you will have to make in this thread....
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25524-front-gas-tank-xmember?highlight=Gas+Tank
    Every now & then you can run across a tank on eBay that has been redone but they are pretty costly!!!
    Stubnose38 had this place redo his tank. They cut the tanks in half & blast, grind, sand and coat them. Here's a link to their website.... http://www.gas-tank.com/ I think that they have a lifetime warranty on their work to!!!
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Mon May 21, 2012 7:21 am

Oh man, I knew that there had to be some modifications necessary, I didn't realize that you have to monkey with it so much!
    Sadly I got neither time, space (tiny garage), or a welder so time to call the rad place.

Thanks for the links, hopefully I'll be able to find a sender for it.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Talked to some old school guys and they outright did not recommend the local large rad place. The small shop they recommended was little help, the fellow was nice enough to say outright that "I can't clean that man, go to these guys."

So it's onto the phone to see whats the turn around on a full acid bath...
    And of course then comes the new bag of fun: Sealing and painting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:01 am