VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
64chevy
wdaguy
donivan65
7 posters

Electronic Ignition?

Electronic Ignition? Empty Electronic Ignition?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Need some opinions. I am going to go to electronic ignition, much more reliable, and I'll carry the old stuff for emergency supplies. Would you use the old dist body and replace the guts with the Pertronix ignitor and high output coil? Or, replace the whole dist with a new aftermarket late model style with the coil in the cap and 8mm wires? It seems that the cost is about the same ether way. What have you guys done?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Electronic Ignition? Empty Re: Electronic Ignition?

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:03 pm

I like to know what I got so I can fix it,,,,and that is the HEI unit out of an 80's GM vehicle,,,,,fits right in,,,,,,

https://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/donivan1965/Van%20Stuff/?action=view&current=PHOT0001.flv
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by wdaguy Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:02 am

I changed both mine to HEi But why does a v8 cost 50- 100 and a six cost 250-300 ?? (cause there are more v8's ) thats kind of steep for a 250.....
    I remember looking at your van, The lady Donna, swore the was no rust as I poked my fingers through it , and showed her the gas filler area. She had a list of modifications, I kind of thought HEi was one? are you gonning to keep those plexi side windows?
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

Pick Your Part is having a 1/2 price sale this weekend. Their yard in Wilmington had several 6 cyl HEI's this past Saturday when I was there. With the coil in the cap and spark plug wires their full price is around $55.00 but they'll be a lot cheaper this weekend.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:53 pm

JUNK YARD = HEI CHEAP!

Stock Old original Chevy Electronic is the ONLY WAY TO GO.........( for electronics)

Saying that.............I still love my points best.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:18 pm

wdaguy wrote:I changed both mine to HEi But why does a v8 cost 50- 100 and a six cost 250-300 ?? (cause there are more v8's ) thats kind of steep for a 250.....
    I remember looking at your van, The lady Donna, swore the was no rust as I poked my fingers through it , and showed her the gas filler area. She had a list of modifications, I kind of thought HEi was one? are you gonning to keep those plexi side windows?

She was kinda clueless, she had been sellin parts off it for awhile. It may of had one but it didnt when I got it. There was a few good things that she didnt know about though, she said it had a powerglide trans, when in fact it has a 700-R4. Those side windows are glass not plexi, and I havent decided if I'm keepin them or not yet. Still havent decided if I'm gunna go panel doors on the back ones yet either. I was gunna go to the local pic-a-part this weekend and see if I can find a dist.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 pm

And you got 2 choices of electronic distributors,,,,and you really don't need the cap, rotor, wires and control unit,,,,,IF they see them, they will charge you extra,,,,,and you want new ones anyways,,,,but get the coil,,,,

Electronic Ignition? 3_dist10

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:09 pm

I have a 2nd edition now, but its bent, and wiggles around when the van is rinning. It runs like crap too, has a real bad miss. I figured I could replace the guts and stuff till I saw the wiggle.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:26 am

The tip of the shaft on the 2nd Edition has an intentional "wiggle" built into it. I was worried when I first noticed it but Don says that's the way it's supposed to be.

And Don says you can buy a new weight set for these. I can see that the holes in mine are a bit oblong, which could affect how it runs. Don, where does one find these new parts? Chevy dealer or just a parts store?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 am

Well,,,,if his problem is due to the springs or bushings in his centrifugal advance weights, they make hot rod kits with different springs and weights to repair or modify it,,,,,,,

Electronic Ignition? Dist_a10
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:33 pm

So Don, where can I buy an advance weights rebuild kit like this? Chevy dealer? Couldn't find them at Napa online.

I did find this good guide to HEI distributors on eBay:
    http://reviews.ebay.com/HEI-Ignitions-A-primer_W0QQugidZ10000000002053885

Interesting stuff. And some specifically for "hot rodders" like us!
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Don, I'd like to know too.

Thanks,
    Rip
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 pm

I used to see these kits everywhere,,,,,,,,,,different springs to set up the RPM that you want the advance to start kicking in,,,,,

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/550-929.pdf

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/HEI-Advance-Curve-Kit,740.html

Electronic Ignition? Jegs1

Post by Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:56 pm

i randomly purchased an electronic ignition set up from c&g. its for the 144 sewing machine. i have no idea what will show up in the mail. hopefully its all good.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I got mine from CRT. It works great!!!!

Electronic Ignition? 1966_c12

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Electronic Ignition? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:50 am

yeah hopefully it will smooth things out a bit. i bought the van last month from a nice guy. he begged the previous owner to sell it to him and finally paid him 2 grand. then his wife got pregnant again. i bought it off him for 1500. the poor guy tossed a lot of change into it. doors, engine parts, lots of stuff, but he called it quits. so i got her towed home and what do you know, a bit of machine oil down the cylinders and she lit right up. so far so good. changed the aft rope seal, drop the crank, tranny etc... stoped leaking and just have to mend the brakes and we can license her. still a lot to do, had to put a bench seat in to haul the chimps around, also removed a ton of wood and insulation from the back. it had been camperized, infested by mice and wasps, and also molested by customs judging from the slashes in both seat backs. should be a good ride, and i haven't seen another in my area for years, they are really rare up here. she's going to break a lot of hearts!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 am

Well Steve, sounds like you got a great deal on it. Keep us posted on your progress and as always we love to see pic's...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Electronic Ignition? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:34 am