VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Electronic Ignition

Electronic Ignition Empty Electronic Ignition

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I've been having problems with my econo's points. So last week I had O'Reilly Auto Parts order a pettronics conversion unit. I put it in friday night, on a difficulty level of 1 - 10 I would have to say this was only a 1. Very easy to install, I put about 150 miles on the van this weekend, up to the lakehouse and back. It ran soooo good!

I would recommend this conversion to anyone wanting to do away with the points. Simple bolt in and wire up to the existing coil, and it looks totally stock to those that want the original look

Rob
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Electronic Ignition Empty Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by sasktrini Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:07 pm

No problems with doghouse clearance or voltage levels? I just salvaged a DurasparkII that I intend to drop in soon... but there's an issue with the voltage, where a resistor wire has to be bypassed or something ???

I like the Pertronix idea though, and a friend used DUI. Good job!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am

So are you running that Petronix on the 6 volt wire that goes to the original coil or did you bypass it?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:27 pm

I'm running the Petronix, that wires directly to the original coil.

There were no clearance problems, this little package replaces the points and condenser and everything fits under the original distributor cap.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:56 pm

this sounds like a hell of an idea pricey little items? going to look it to this .thanks for the post robw

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 am

It was around $100 with tax. I'm pretty sure that C&G Ford has them listed in their catalog.

Electronic Ignition Empty good idea

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 pm

thanks put in pertronics for 85.00 with tax truck runs good

Post by Guest Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:58 pm

I have the Pertronix in my '67 F250, it was a painless install. Today, i converted my '65 240 to Duraspark II. Took a couple of hours, with a couple of adult beverages thrown in.

Go to the Fordification.com website, then to their forums, for converting instructions to the Duraspark. It's really very easy. The most difficult part of the conversion was finding a space for the Duraspark module--it ended up on the outside of the doghouse next to the battery, with a new hole for the harness drilled through, then grommeted and sealed. Two new wires to the Duraspark coil, two plugs to the distributor, red wire from the location of the 'pink' (the resistor wire referred to above) feed to the Duraspark module/red coil wire, swapped out the Loadomatic distributor for the Duraspark (direct drop in); re-gapped the plugs (wider by 0.05), installed the new rotor and cap, and done. Much easier starting, better mileage, etc. (Did another Ford 6 last year. Swear by them).

They also have a 3G alternator conversion tech section at Fordification. Great site.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:50 pm

So about how much for the Duraspark system??? And is the cap/rotor stock Ford , (what years) or specific to Duraspark?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:13 pm

The duraspark donor truck was an early 80's ford pickup. I believe that any 6 cylinder Ford truck, carbureted, with the blue tabbed Duraspark control box, and distributor and harness, will work in either the 240 or 300. The truck we took the duraspark module from was an 81, the distributor came from the same truck, but the harness between the two was from an '84--harness was in better shape. Same parts. We replaced the rotor and cap and wires (about $50 for those, new, and factory-type replacements--I think the wires were Borg Warner, but the used parts would've probably been serviceable). The used parts at our local pull and save wrecking yard were I think, $35. When we get some warmer weather, I'm going to get one more setup for my 71 F500 (has the 300 as well) and a couple more for my six cylinder falcons. I added a little new wire loom (the old factory loom was cracking and falling apart) and needed some 12 ga. wire to tap into the Van's ignition circuit. That was it.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:37 pm

I used a Pertronix in Vanishing Breed and I have a Mallory Unilite in my 65 Econo. I really like the Mallory.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am