VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
OutofSight
erik.benedetto
6 posters

Position and style of dome light switch

erik.benedetto
    erik.benedetto

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-12-19

Position and style of dome light switch Empty Position and style of dome light switch

Post by erik.benedetto Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 am

Hi all, im my 1965 A100 van i have two dome lights installed. Unfortunately until now i haven't found the switch to turn them on. Can anyone send me a pic so that i can see where the switch is located or should be. Additionally a photo of the original dome head light switch would be helpful if i have to buy one. Thanks a lot.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Position and style of dome light switch Empty Re: Position and style of dome light switch

Post by OutofSight Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 am

The dome lights on my ‘65 are activated by turning the headlight switch to the left.
    I can get a pic later today of my switch.

Last edited by OutofSight on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    rekbender
    rekbender

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2018-01-07

Position and style of dome light switch Empty Re: Position and style of dome light switch

Post by rekbender Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am

OutofSight wrote:The dome lights are activated by turning the headlight switch to the left.
    I can get a pic later today of my switch.

As "OutofSight" said, my 1970 A108 dome lights turn on when the headlamp switch is rotated counter clockwise.
    Position and style of dome light switch Dsc08745

The dome lights also come on when the driver's door is opened. They are activated by the door jamb switch.
    Position and style of dome light switch Dsc09211

My van also has two under dash courtesy lamps that turn on with a switch mounted under the cigarette lighter.
    Position and style of dome light switch Dsc09210
    erik.benedetto
    erik.benedetto

Post by erik.benedetto Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 am

Ok that helped a lot. Right now i have identified the problems why the dome lights did not work. 
    First of all - there werent light bulbs inside ...ok i could have checked that before.  cyclops cyclops The second challenge is that both dome lights are not connected to any switch as this one is missing. No bulbs, no switch means no dome lights. But the important information is also that they should work when the door is opened. Have to check the wiring on this and buy a headlight switch to fix that. Thanks guys. Doing first my homework before i get this damned light working.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 am

My ‘65 does not have the door jam switch.
    erik.benedetto
    erik.benedetto

Post by erik.benedetto Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 am

Seems that in 1965 in general there were not door jam switches - interesting to know because mine is also from 1965. Missed them also... Shocked So a switch would be necessary.

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 am

My 69 Pickup has no door jamb switches, too.

Anyway - the dome light switch is integral part of the headlight switch. You pull it for park/head lights, you turn it for dome lights / dimming the instrument cluster. Not sure, though, if the dimming function was included in early years. The replacement switch is available all around. Removing it is a little tricky: you need to remove the door knob with its handle and to get this accomplished, you need to push a small pin at the switch itself. You need to remove the dash for that (but that's only 4 screws and the speedo cable).

Oh, and the cables for the domelight (both + and gnd) run up through the A-pillar - the pickup has both dome lights connected through the driver side, not sure if it's the same with the van.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 pm

this should get you going.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWEBRB1waI

Terminal "D" (dome?) on the switch (White wire) feeds ground when switch is twisted counter-clockwise. It is a bit of a 'bump' past the smooth twist that controls dimming.
    Power is supplied at all times through fuse block to Yellow/Black wire.
    Fuse is marked Tail Stop Dome Park 15 amp.
    subharness at dome light is just Yellow, no Black trace.
    The bulbs are #1004 and are sometimes tough to get right.
    Check for power at the dome first. The fuse and power circuit is the most common failure.
    The white wire CANNOT be grounded at the housing or the light will stay on!!!
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm

I have never seen the door jamb switches on any A-100. The far left "click" on the headlight switch is how my dome lights come on.'68 Pick up and my other Mopars too. cheers
    rekbender
    rekbender

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2018-01-07

Post by rekbender Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 am

gary h wrote:I have never seen the door jamb switches on any A-100. The far left "click" on the headlight switch is how my dome lights come on.'68 Pick up and my other Mopars too. cheers

My '69-'71 Dodge Truck Parts Catalog shows the front door jamb switch for 1970 A100 as PN 2822 592. My switch is only on the driver's door.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 am