VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

86 B-150, where's the ignition module?

Heliarc
    Heliarc

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2018-06-24

86 B-150, where's the ignition module? Empty 86 B-150, where's the ignition module?

Post by Heliarc Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 am

Hi Guys, I'm working on a 1986 B-150 for a friend. 318 engine, auto trans. The previous owner did a LOT of Mickey Mousery on the wiring. One day his van died. Battery was blowing steam like a tea kettle. No spark since then. I figure the regulator overcharged the heck out of the battery and fried the weakest link in the ignition system. I've been looking all over for that box with the five pin harness, the typical ICM, but I can't find it. Only thing I can find is a black plastic box, top center of the firewall. Two electrical plugs, a hose to the air inlet, and a vacuum module looking thing. I figure worst case I can get it running on breaker points or GM HEI conversion but I'd like to do it properly. Also have to find out why the thing is toasting the battery.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

86 B-150, where's the ignition module? Empty Re: 86 B-150, where's the ignition module?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 am

This site is set up for Vintage Dodges,,,,the EARLYS,,,,,1964-70,,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,we got a section for OLD stuff,,,,called EARLY ENOUGH,,,,which this post will be moved to tomorrow night,,,,but in the meantime,,,,the control unit is in that black box,,,,,,,so when cranking, do you have juice at the positive terminal on the coil and blinking on the negative side when using a test light,,,,,,I think those boxes might have been powered by fusible links that would burn out,,,,,we can talk about that alternator too,,,,,

86 B-150, where's the ignition module? Dodgmo10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

86 B-150, where's the ignition module? Empty Re: 86 B-150, where's the ignition module?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 am

Heliarc
    Heliarc

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2018-06-24

Post by Heliarc Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am

donivan65 wrote:This site is set up for Vintage Dodges,,,,the EARLYS,,,,,1964-70,,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,we got a section for OLD stuff,,,,called EARLY ENOUGH,,,,which this post will be moved to tomorrow night,,,,but in the meantime,,,,the control unit is in that black box,,,,,,,so when cranking, do you have juice at the positive terminal on the coil and blinking on the negative side when using a test light,,,,,,I think those boxes might have been powered by fusible links that would burn out,,,,,we can talk about that alternator too,,,,,

86 B-150, where's the ignition module? Dodgmo10

Ah, sorry about that... I registered at two other sites and some facebook pages and this is the only one where I got an answer. I wish this was a 1970! If it were breaker points I'd have had it going in five minutes! Pretty sure if it comes down to it I can swap it over. The next van this guy gets, hopefully it'll be old enough to fit the bill. Not only are they way cooler but I can work on them a lot easier.

Yes, I have that exact box on the top center under the hood. $190...Nah...I can check fusible links though.

So far I have power to the coil. I pulled the two wire plug on the distributor and did a continuity test on it. It's showing closed circuit even when cranking the engine over. Not sure if I have to pull the distributor or not.

Just did the test light on the coil. I hooked to the positive terminal and put the probe to ground. Nothing when cranking or not. I hook to the positive terminal and put the probe to the negative side, light is solid cranking or not.

I have yet to test the coil but I did put a known working one on it and no difference.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:19 pm