VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
G-Man
DanTheVanMan
Vanish
8 posters

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! Empty O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!!

Post by Vanish Mon May 25, 2009 6:19 pm

O.K. So... Chris G-Man... Has Brought this To My attention Just Recently........ He was Look for the Horizontal Brace that go's Between the Metal up right supports .. and at first I thought to my self what are you talking about ... NONE OF MY VANS EVER HAD THESE ......... So Just Looking around to Day and there it is .........

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! 100_2104

SO This Leaves the Question...... which Vans Had em and which ones Don't ............ ??????????????????? Question

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!!

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Ya know. That's the first I have seem them. My 66 doesn't have them.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!!

Post by G-Man Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

What year is that van Vanish??? I knew something was there orginally. Looked at my 69 also and nothing was there. Here a thought maybe on 64's only??? And later not put on because the doors added enough support???
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon May 25, 2009 7:02 pm

lol, probably not put on to save a $ 1.98 .
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 pm

This one is Barnett's .... Says it's a 64 !!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Tue May 26, 2009 5:31 am

My 64 has those too.
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 am

The 64 non window vans had the side braces, they dissappeared in early 65 and returned in 1968. They may have had something to do with the assembly of the side panels since the sides were "layed up" by glueing the ribs in them before welding to the floor in a jig. I had a picture of this in the old vcvc2 photo album. I sill have 4 64's a couple 65's and a 67 and 69. I sold or junked 2 65's a 66 and a pair of 68's in the last year.
    O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! 68van110

Post by Guest Tue May 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I've owned (2) '64 panels and they both had the horizontal braces. I've never seen a '65 or '66 with them. I've owned (2) '66 panels with no braces. I've owned (2) '67's of which (1) was a 90" without braces, and (1) 108" that had them. I've owned (2) '69's and (1) '70 and this theory seems to be true. 67-70 90" don't have them, but the 108" does. I remember being at the 25th Nats with Rocka-Rolla Truckers, who had a flat window panel with no original title. They couldn't figure out if it was a '64 or '65. So I told them to remove the paneling from the inside walls. They looked at me funny, but found it was a '64.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Another tid bit of infor to help with the year of a unknown year of a early. I have been at this a while and I'm still learning.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 am

So would an early '65 panel with a 5 slot grill have the horizontal braces?From what I have learned from yall,early 65's had 5 slot grill ...later had 6 slot.True?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 pm

I think the reason you see 5 slot grills in 65 is that GM was using the remaining stock from 64 before the change to the 6 slot grills
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Hey ,Gotavan Dan that pic looks kind of famillar. Where have I seen that before???

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm

Nightmoves wrote:So would an early '65 panel with a 5 slot grill have the horizontal braces?From what I have learned from yall,early 65's had 5 slot grill ...later had 6 slot.True?

My GMC is an early 5 slot and it doesnt have the braces.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat May 30, 2009 4:35 pm

The 64 Blue No Door has the braces,,,,,,,,

O.K. Strange Observation !!!!!!!!!! Repair41

Post by Guest Sat May 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Yeh...I noticed that mine is missing one of those braces where the old owner cut a window into the panel. I figure I'll just have my buddy weld some sort of bracing in when he welds up the window hole. I'll panel the inside anyways.

And yes...mine is a '64.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:36 am