VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Second Gen Waterpump Replacement

Vaniml
    Vaniml

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2017-03-04

Second Gen Waterpump Replacement Empty Second Gen Waterpump Replacement

Post by Vaniml Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:35 pm

I am sure there are a few on here that have changed a water pump on a 1972 (2nd gen) Econoline 200 with a V8 and auto trans? I just purchased it and it has a new (5 years sitting) 351 Windsor with a C4 auto. Then owner swapped it out from a 6cly 3 speed to the 351, and she is shoe horned in there! I would like to know if it is easier to pull the front clipand radiator. I will be replacing the master cylinder, mechanical fuel pump and installing a Pertonics electronic ignition while I do the water pump. It just looks very difficult without everything out. I have a 2002 E350 that has considerably more room. Please advise! scratch
    Vaniml
    Vaniml

Second Gen Waterpump Replacement Empty Re: Second Gen Waterpump Replacement

Post by Vaniml Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm

I guess I was mistaken. I thought someone on here knew 2nd gen Fords but maybe I am on the wrong website!
    mnghost
    mnghost

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Post by mnghost Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Vaniml I am going to weigh in on the lack of reply on your van. I think most folks on here have the earlies which went to 1968 so there is probably not a lot of knowledge here on the 69-74 vans. There was a site for those but seems to have been down for several months. All that said I have a 73 with a 302 that I have not worked on but I think if any major parts replacement happens on the front of the engine I am going to pull the grill and support pieces. Hope this helps
    Vaniml
    Vaniml

Post by Vaniml Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Thank you Ghost! I figured it was easier to pull all the front end. I verified that with a guy that I met at the Pomona swap meet. He has a half acre of 2nd gen stuff and he said to pull the front end. We chatted for quite a while. I am not a big guy but bigger than average 6'2" 235 lbs and I hate getting under any thing for a length of time. Thanks again. I've included a pic of both my vans. The green one I just bought the pic is at the exowners house. Second Gen Waterpump Replacement Dscn0410
    [url=https://servimg.com/view/19641614/2][img]
    mnghost
    mnghost

Post by mnghost Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Nice van Who doesnt want a 4x4 conversion or at least drive one for a while. Try checking on the Vanning.com site maybe some 2nd gen people have landed there
    Vaniml
    Vaniml

Post by Vaniml Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Very Happy
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 am

Mnghost is correct. Pull your grille and radiator out on the 2nd gens. It will save you having to replace or repair your radiator after you have knocked a hole in it.

The 2nd. gen Econolines are the most difficult to service and repair when it comes to the front of the motor. The first gens. aren't a picnic either but easier than the 2nd gen. The easiest is the third gens. Especially the early models with no pollution control crap. Ample room to get in and work on the motor.
    Vaniml
    Vaniml

Post by Vaniml Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks appreciated! Any idea if they will include the 1968-74 E series into the vintage membership in the future?
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 pm

There is a forum for us guys who have 2nd and 3rd generation vans on the site. It's called Early Enough, Friends & Guests. Its just below the forum for the 1st gen vans.

I've been requesting that they expand to at least the 3rd generation vans but have had no luck so far.
    mnghost
    mnghost

Post by mnghost Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:39 pm

[quote="twday"]There is a forum for us guys who have 2nd and 3rd generation vans on the site. It's called Early Enough, Friends & Guests. Its just below the forum for the 1st gen vans.

twday I have to admit I have not visited that area much and it is under used by 2nd & 3rd gen Ford vanners. I am going to try and visit it more often. Is that your factory custom in your avitar. I would have liked to owned one of those always liked the color scheme
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

No, that is what mine will look like once I'm done. Mine is a custom but there are some questions yet to be answered. It is set up like a factory custom with all the correct options, BUT, mine is a long wheelbase and they never mentioned that they made the factory customs with the long wheelbase and I have never seen one in print or in person. I am the second owner but the original owner had repainted the van with a brush so I don't know what the original paint scheme looked like. There is a company that has all of Fords records from 1967 to 2012 and I am going to send of for a report. It does have a DSO number ( Dealer Special Order) and it is a panel van with factory air cond., front and rear, which is very rare unless it is a factory custom.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:10 am