VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Barnabas
vanny
jrdunn96
uante
greg young
9 posters

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van

greg young
    greg young

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2016-12-08

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Empty New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van

Post by greg young Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:56 am

I recently inherited a 64 cargo van that has been sitting in a garage since the late 70s. It was my brother-in-laws daily driver. The voltage regulator was putting out to much and caused the generator to sling solder. One of my older brothers bought it before he passed and I ended up with it. I'm waiting on the weather to cooperate before I pick it up. Its in tight quarters, but I did get in and determined that it will roll. I'm hoping the engine isn't stuck. If it is, I have a 61 170 engine and extra 3 speed tranny from a running econoline. The spare engine has been sitting in my garage for 3 years, but turns freely. I hope I don't need it as I would like to go original. Does anyone rebuild generators and voltage regulators. Also, I'm going to need to find seats and a 4 speed transmission. I forgot to mention that this is a factory 4 speed van. The guy that owned it before my brother-in-law put a 3 speed in it. Still has 4 speed column and extra linkage hanging. Will try to get pics soon. It has rust, but I'm a retired auto body man so not too worried about that part or the ugly yellow brick road, painted above the style line around the van from windshield to windshield. I am really looking forward to the project. Any help on the seats, generator or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Greg
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Empty Re: New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van

Post by uante Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 pm

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Sounds like you want to go with all original, what kind of seats are in it now?
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Empty Re: New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van

Post by jrdunn96 Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome!!!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Welcome to Vintage Vans! I think I've read on here that the 4 speeds weren't as reliable as the 3 speeds...maybe the prior owner was experiencing those issues and decided to switch it out to a 3 speed. In any case, you've come to the right place for help and advice! I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I believe my brother n law told me the seats are out of a pinto, but they weren't mounted the last time I seen it. The van is complete minus seats and a battery, plus an off center skylight and a wood bed platform. The latter two will have to go. The transmission is probably going to wait since I have two 3 speeds. My plan is to get it running and drive it between working on it. I want something that you don't need a degree, to keep it running.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Hang out here for a few years, and you will get a degree in Vintage Econolines. You can't get that kind of education in any college.
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 am

This site is loaded with good info and some really slick rides. I didn't know that the steering gear box could be adjusted. I was looking at a rebuild on it later, but maybe I won't need to.
    mnghost
    mnghost

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Post by mnghost Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Welcome also. I thought I knew a fair amount about Econolines but the knowledge I've gained on this site has been unbelievable. Ask questions someone on here will get it answered
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome. This site is pretty awesome. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions once I dig in. I'm going to try a get over to it tomorrow and takes some pictures. It's going to be sub zero and I'm getting old, so we will see. I can only get in to it on weekends and evenings and there's no light.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Greg! Sounds like a cool project. I'd love to see a pic of the paint job. I'd try an electric motor shop for the generator. Otherwise a 2G alternator is an easy swap. Good luck!
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:54 am

Thank you Seth. I'm having trouble with my only running vehicle, but I'm hoping to get over to get some pictures today.
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:16 pm

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Econol11
    I'm having trouble resizing and posting my pictures. I'll try some more tomorrow.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 am

Welcome to VV,,  IMO,, one of the friendliest forums on line.  Regards to yours,, I would suggest that you make the move that most all with a generator eventually end up doing.  Simply convert to an alternator and end all the issues.  
     The trucks were never intended to use the electrical loads that we put on them nowadays and in like putting  in a new house circuit breaker panel wise to install more capacity than you are planning to use. Why not do that with an alternator for the same amount of moneys to repair the generator setup???
     I use and love the Ford 3G alternator and have been talking about it for years since 1st finding it. It puts out the amperage AT IDLE that very few other alternators put out at full rpm!!  90 amps at 600 rpm and a low of 135 amps at 2000 and up to 200 amps if you get the great big one.
     A stock 64 and up alternator putting out perhaps 60 amps at 2000 and very little at idle.  Idle speed amperage output the most important,,, any alternator can scratch out 60 amps at full speed.
     The 3G available for the same price as the smaller alternator and almost a bolt in. The only draw back would be the mount and needing a double pulley setup as ANY alternator over 80 amps needs two belts or a serpentine belt.
     Still,, if you dont want to go through that you can still just use a stock alternator and convert the wiring over very easily..  Note.. I forgot to mention that the 3G has an integral piggy back regulator and you can ditch the stock setup in front of the radiator!!!!  Believe me it works GREAT!!!
    VicSoCal

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Genera10

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Genera10

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:18 am

Couldnt get a 2nd picture in,,, here is a 3G install on my last,,, the single pulley shown not good and would squeal once in a while on startup,,, Too much tension on the belt still not working and so like I have been posting for years,,, MAX amp load for a single belt is 80 amps,,, convert to dual belts not a big deal,, (with the right parts,, LOL).   I can send also pictures of the parts to make the mount if anyone is interested to make their own.  Note the self adjusting setup at the back of the mount... works very nicely (pat on the back),,
    VicSoCalNew Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van 27912
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van 02710
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:17 am

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2413
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2411
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2412
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2416
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2410
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2414
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2415
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:04 am

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2417
    Thank you for the welcome, Old Skool. I probably will switch to an alternator for awhile and your info looks good. I doubt I will be doing any of the wiring, but I know someone. Right now I just want to get it to turn over. If it'll do that, I should be able to get it running. I'm hoping to get better pictures on Christmas Eve. Thanks everybody.
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Vic, Do you or someone else have a part number for the G3 alternator? I know it's cheaper to get one from a salvage, but would like the reassurance of a new or rebuilt one.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 am

95 Mustang,. 1st give away is no external fan. 135 Amp unit, 90 Amps@ 600 rpm. Two larger Amp units I have heard about. I can pay wiring details better when I get back home. Basically ditch the inferior Econoline regulator and copy wire color code and designation to the piggy back regulator. Run LARGE gauge wire directly to a 125 Amp resettable breaker and then directly to the battery post on the starter solenoid as that avoids all and any issues.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Empty TC

Post by Old Skool Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:35 am

For sure get a new one, why create issues and more guess work. Auto Zone lifetime guarantee, update is well worth the work. Biggest issue is making the bracket and finding the dual pulley setup. There is a bolt on pulley for the early single pulley dampener and a matching dual pulley for the water pump. I have a few setups I think?? Out of town right now so can't look.
    Vic

jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Post by jrdunn96 Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks, Vic. I'll order that one.

Greg, Sorry I interupted your thread.
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:19 pm

It's all good. I'm getting a lot out of this. Get in here all you want. Got a couple more pics.New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2418
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2419
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2420
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2421
    greg young
    greg young

Post by greg young Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:31 pm

New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2422
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2423
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2424
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2425
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2426
    New Guy with 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty Cargo Van Gedc2427
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Welcome to VV Greg. Judging from your pics, you have a decent looking ride there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm