VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed"

rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Number of posts : 180
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed" Empty Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed"

Post by rustyspoke66 Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 pm

So I have upgraded to Scarebird brackets and disc brakes up front. Has anyone else had a issue with too much brake line pressure resulting in the front brakes dragging? I also have little travel in the brake pedal but otherwise the brakes work good.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed" Empty Re: Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed"

Post by busman78 Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:44 am

Dragging as in if you jack the front end off the ground the front wheels will not rotate by hand? How about the rear wheels?

When you stop does the front and/or rear lock up?

Which master cylinder did you use?

Also adjust the rod so there is a little free play.
    rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed" Empty Re: Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed"

Post by rustyspoke66 Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply.
    -With the front off the ground it is very difficult to turn a wheel by hand on the front if at all.
    -With the rear off the ground I can turn the rear wheels.
    -The front and rear seem to brake evenly.
    -I used the recommended master from a B series van with manual / disc front / drum rear.
    -The rod is adjusted so the pedal is at full height.

-With all this said it seems like it is getting better. I will keep an eye on it and only make short trips for now.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:53 am

Spring holds the pedal at full height not the rod, pedal needs a little free play, if the rod is holding the pedal then your brakes are being applied.

Front brake question "Scarebird kit installed" Return10
    rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Post by rustyspoke66 Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:12 am

Well then, I will take a look tonight but I'm thinking the spring is a miss. Thanks for all the help, I will let you know what I find.
    rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Post by rustyspoke66 Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Yep, The push rod was adjusted to tight. Spring and everything else was ok. Anybody have a good resource for speedo cables?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:14 pm