VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

A745 transmission

Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

A745 transmission Empty A745 transmission

Post by Gileadgarage Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi all,

Long time no post. My van has been running well and I have been driving it a lot, until the other day...

It started making a sound in 1st gear, louder on decel. 2nd, 3rd and neutral all quiet.

I pulled the trans and opened it up. It appears that the gears were quite rusty at one time from sitting (top 1/2 of gears). 1st gear is pretty banged up as is counter shaft. Only about 45K on it, but sat for many years before being restored. I should also add that the trans to bellhousing bolts were not too tight, I am thinking now that maybe this was the culprit. Too late now though, the A745 is torn apart on bench and it is not too great inside. I don't know if I want to put it back together and reinstall.

Anyway, long story short - I found another trans and drove about 4 hrs to get it, it turned out to be a A903. I am hoping to use it as a stop gap so I can run it for remainder of season.

I regret buying the A903 since it does appear to be pretty beat, but maybe there is a chance I can swap the input shaft from the A745 and use for now if input gear tooth count is the same.

Will the A745 input swap to the A903 if tooth count is correct (anyone ever try this?)?

Does anyone know if new 1st gears are avail for A745? (I found everything else but 1st).

Does anyone have a good A745, preferably with in Northeast area or willing to ship?

Anyone have a 727Tf for van?

Has anyone swapped in an A833 or A230 short tail into an A100? I know they are longer and do not have the mount. I am not worried about the mount or linkage concerns, but not sure how long these tranny's are and if it would even work with a custom driveshaft?

I hate both of these non syncro's 1st gear trans anyway, but hope to get it back on the road for now with either just to keep rolling.

When I get home from work tonight I can compare both trans side by side and take a closer look at the condition of the A903.

Last edited by Gileadgarage on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

A745 transmission Empty Re: A745 transmission

Post by Gileadgarage Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Forgot to mention it is a sl6 225. Van has HD package which is why it has the A745.

Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Update: As expected the A903 and A745 are totally different, it was obvious once I could see them both side by side. They look nearly identical, but nothing is interchangeable, everything is much beefier inside the A745. Also, after closer inspection/disassembly the A903 I bought is garbage so I can not use it as a temporary solution after all - what a waste! Mad .

Since I can not find a 1st gear for the 745 I may just reassemble it and run it for rest of the season, worry about it this winter and look for another trans or new parts in the meantime.

Looking for any info on 4spd swap, A230 swap or new 1st gear for my A745 (already located new counter shaft and 2nd gear).

"EDIT'
    I may have found a new 1st gear, but dam it is expensive. If it has the correct tooth count and I can get my hands on it I'll probably also buy 2nd and counter shaft cluster and rebuild the trans with all new internals. I also found a 727 for A100, but it will need a rebuild and I believe is for a V8. I was seriously considering going auto, but have no plans to swap out the good running slant (i've grown to really like it!), and I am not sure I want an auto behind it.

Mark
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Update: All gears replaced except input shaft, which I can not find. I need an 18T/23spline and they seem to be extinct. I can find an 18T/10spline, but these are 1 3/8 shaft (instead of 1") and would require new bearing retainer (which I can not find) and different clutch. Since the input only has some minor pitting on 1 tooth and is in very good shape otherwise I decided to reinstall. If I do find one I may take it back out and replace, these are a simple transmission to work on and R&R is even easier! Not easy to find these hard parts, the rebuild kit was easy but did not come with gaskets!?! I finished off a box of Total and made my own.

Reinstalling Saturday AM, have some trips still planned for this Summer and I want this thing back in service!

I'll try to get some pics posted, having issues posting them right now (I don't remember this being so complicated).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:58 am