VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

High idle

67EcoVanVan
    67EcoVanVan

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2016-06-11

High idle  Empty High idle

Post by 67EcoVanVan Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Can someone school me on adjusting idle speed? Got a 240 with (I think) a holly 200 carb?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

High idle  Empty Re: High idle

Post by jdlaugh Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:18 am

I don't know that specific carb, but high idle is rarely an adjustment issue -- unless you've done a rebuild and/or installing a new carb. Much more likely to be a vacuum leak or a sticky throttle cable.

Before doing any adjusting, spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and intake manifold to see if idle changes, identifying a vac leak. Check vacuum hoses are properly seated at both ends and in good condition with no cracks. Make sure the throttle closes completely. Just my two centavos.
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 am

By the way, my 240 was sporting a Holley 1940, but they also came with the Autolite 1100. Adjustment is essentially the same for both.

The idle screw (left) on the throttle arm goes in or out to speed up or slow down the idle by pressing against the throttle. The idle air screw, bottom right, controls the amount of air at idle. You want to get the "leanest, best idle" Typically you screw it in all the way, then back it out 1 1/2 turns. Then you do very small adjustments to get the fastest idle with the least amount of air. "in" is less air.

High idle  Thrott10

Another pic of my Holley 1940. Showing the spark control valve:

High idle  Spark_11

Last edited by jdlaugh on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    67EcoVanVan
    67EcoVanVan

Post by 67EcoVanVan Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 am

that's awesome. going to try this weekend. Thank you!
    67EcoVanVan
    67EcoVanVan

Post by 67EcoVanVan Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 pm

so I should start by screwing both the speed and air screws in all the way, back out both screw 1 1/2 turns, start the van, and adjust both to desired idle? How do I know if it is as lean as possible?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Again, it's unlikely you need to adjust these. More likely it's a vacuum leak or something else going on.

On the idle air screw, it's all the way in, then back out 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there. The idle should speed up and slow down as you make small adjustments. You want the fastest idle you can get with the screw in. You will hear a definite sweet spot.

For the idle screw on the throttle, it's just in the middle of its range to start. Once you get the idle air right, then adjust the one on the throttle.

Of course, you only make adjustments when the engine is fully warmed up and the choke is off. And, after you are sure there are no vacuum leaks!!! Evil or Very Mad
    67EcoVanVan
    67EcoVanVan

Post by 67EcoVanVan Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:32 pm

okay - so back to the vacuum leaks then Smile - So I spary carb cleaner around the car, hoses, etc, and listen for the idle to increase? If it's a hose, replace it. If it's the base of the carb then fasten it tighter? That sort of deal?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Yes. Also, I think your carb is not a 200, don't think that's a holley #, when you figure that out go to the link below and click the right link for your carb and you will find setup info.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Technical-Links_ep_649.html
    67EcoVanVan
    67EcoVanVan

Post by 67EcoVanVan Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:07 pm

here is a picture of the tag on my carb. I tried looking this up and that's how I saw it was a holley. can you give me more info based on this? Thanks a bunch for all the help, man. (hopefully the picture posting worked...)

High idle  Img_1710
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:44 pm

If you look at my first picture above, the DOP is hidden behind the throttle lever. My part number is DOPF-9510-F.  The 9510 number is just a Ford designation for "carburetor." So, mine is a DOPF-F. Yours is a DOPF-F or DOPF-E, both of which translate to the Holley 1940.
    Zach
    Zach

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2016-06-24

Post by Zach Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 pm

I had the same issue on my 67 with a 240. The throttle return spring was weak. I replaced it with a new one and fixed the issue. You can try pushing back on the throttle lever while it is running. If the idle returns to normal then that is your issue.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:56 pm