VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Auto trans

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Auto trans Empty Auto trans

Post by Vantastic Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Hello,
    I'm looking to switch out my 4 on the tree manual to an automatic. I do not want to have a floor shifter. Any of you gurus have suggestions. I want a column shifter(any after market??) and I need to know what is the best transmission. I am NOT mechanically inclined, so please speak in layman terms.
    I really appreciate the info.
    Tim
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Auto trans Empty Re: Auto trans

Post by vanny Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

You might want to Private Message Old Skool, member name. His real name is Vic Lafontaine I believe he makes automatic shifter columns for situations like yours. He is the Econoline Mechanic Guru who makes things better than new for Econolines.

Usually the Econoline Automatics are either C4's or a C6. I believe the C6 is the upgraded version of the C4. Mine has a C4 in it from a 68 Econoline. One of the previous owners had jerry-rigged the 3-on-the-tree shifter to shift it but it's really clunky so I don't want to leave it that way. I picked up a floor shifter on the cheap, so I'm going to attempt to build a console for it to get it off the floor and in easy reaching distance. At least that's the plan... I'm not a mechanic either but I'll give it a shot when the time comes. Plenty of helpful advice on this site if you run into problems.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Vantastic Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks Vanny!! Yes, I PM'd Old Skool yesterday.. He's here in Cali so I hope he can hook me up. I rebuilt my 4 on the tree about 8 years ago. I got behind some jackhole coming down a steep winding road and the guy would go from 5 miles and hour to 30 miles an hour, so was constantly on the clutch. When i got down the hill my throwout bearing was howling.. If i'm going to go through all the trouble of pulling that I might as well switch it out.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm

He's your best bet for a drop in replacement. Or find one out of an auto van
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Guy in Sacramento is selling a rear bumper on e-bay. Down in his add he includes a note:
    "Also if anyone is interested in a steering column for an auto transmission for the same model truck let me know"

Link to Ebay sale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:46 am