VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

auto trans

61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

auto trans  Empty auto trans

Post by 61econoline Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Hey folks any one know if a c4 bellhousing off of a 66 200ci mustang will bolt up to a 61 170ci Thanks
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

auto trans  Empty Re: auto trans

Post by Barnabas Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:30 pm

That should work fine.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Post by 61econoline Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 pm

thanks
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Of course if you use the entire Mustang C4, then you will need a custom transmission to frame mount and a custom short driveshaft. The C4s that came in the old Econolines had a special short output shaft and rear cover so a decent size driveshaft could be used.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Post by 61econoline Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I have a short tail c-4 with a V-8 Bell,also have a c-4 out of a 66 mustang 200 six.Trying to piece together an auto trans to fit the 170 in my van.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Does that mean you are trying to put an auto in a 61?   Not to sound stupid and from your name and the question I would think so but just need to make sure before I try and help.
      If you are putting it in a 61 and not just onto a 61 motor there are a couple of issues for you.  The first thing is that you will need a donout mount tail stock from a 64 Econoline. It ONLY came in an Econoline and only for that year. 
      In regards to ALL of our automatic C4 transmissions, they all used what is called a TRUCK tail stock. In truck applications, Ford used several things that made them stronger to be used in trucks as they needed to be stronger.  One of them is the tail stocks on our C4 transmissions. It used a ball bearing to support the drive shaft instead of a bushing that is in the car applications.  The car tailstocks used a longer tail stock with a bushing in it and the a shorter drive shaft slide that slid in and out of the transmission. It is MUCH WEAKER than our truck tail stocks using a real ball bearing to support it. Also, very important is that it also used a SHORTER DRIVE SHAFT which is important with our short wheel base.  In order to get the u-joint angle aligned easier and less prone to vibration you need a LONGER drive shaft. You DON'T want the short drive shaft as u joint angles are more critical.. The drive shaft that you will need, depends on the rear axle you are using and you can use a stock one,, no customs needed. If you have a 9" rear axle it will have a larger u joint than the small six C4 output yoke will  have, and in the 64 H/D with a C4 it used a hard to find drive shaft that had a small front u joint and a large rear u joint. IF you dont have the 9" rear axle then we can use a stock small ujoint drive shaft that has the small ones on both the front and the back to match your small rear axle. The output yokes on the big six pan fill C4's and the small six C4 output yokes are splined identical to each other and you can also simply put the larger output yoke into your small six C4 as THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE with each other. Drive shafts are the least of your issues though.
      The 64 small six C4 donout mount tail stock actually sits higher than the 3spd manual, and so Ford put TWO MOUNTING holes in the frame for it. This is one sure way of telling if a truck is a 64 as that is the ONLY YEAR that had two frame mount holes. The reason for it is, that you do not have a hump in the back of your doghouse for bellhousing clearance, and because the mount hole is higher they had to put an extra mounting hole up higher in the frame in order that the transmission would not sit lower than it does. NOTE:  FORD LOWERED THE HOLE ENGINE HEIGHT ON THE 64 DONOUT MOUNT C4 because of no hump in the doghouse for bellhousing clearance.  Which also meant that they also used a one year only set of different engine support arms for the C4. They had to lower the rear of the engine and so they also had to lower the front of the motor to keep the carbuerator float level, level.  If you look at a small six intake log, you can see that it has an angle built into it like all motors have for that purpose.
      SO,, for you to put a small six C4 into your 61 you without putting a 65 to 67 doghouse in your truck, you will need to drill the second mounting hole in the frame for your mount, and either find the rare 64 automatic engine hangers OR use spacer blocks and drop your existing ones down the same as in the back, about 1 1/2".  The 64 automatic engine handers also used the late stud type engine mounts also, but that will make no difference for you.
      If you put in a 65 to 67 doghouse, it will be about 1 3/4" taller in height and will give you the hump in the back for bellhousing clearance so you wont need to drill the second hole or drop the front of the engine height. The 65 to 67 small six case fill C4 used the 65 to 67 tail stock with the bigger mount.
      In regards to tail stocks, you CAN INTERCHANGE any C4 tail stock with any C4 tail stock, even the car type with the longer and weaker tail stock.  As you say you have a big bell Econoline C4 with the short tail stock it can only be from a 240 and uses the larger mount than the 64 donout mount tail stock
      Here is what you need to do,,,,,,,,, you need to find and buy a 64 donout mount tail stock and have it put onto your 66 Mustang 200 C4 transmission.  IF you have the 9" in yours already, then you can take the output yoke out of the big bell 240 C4 and put it on the donout mount tail stock transmission and that way you can have the larger u joints in both ends. There are 9 different drive shafts for our trucks.
     In the pictures you can see the double bolt holes in the frame for the 64 C4 trans. I dont have any pictures of the 64 special C4 sheet metal engine hangers or I would send those also.
      As there was no such thing as a 61 automatic there was no such thing as a 61 automatic steering column. I have made several of them for people and just finishing one more as we speak.
      The steering BOXES are all the same from 61 to 67, HOWEVER  the 61 to 64's are mounted at a different mounting angle than the 65 to 67's.  SO you cannot use a 65 steering column in a 61 UNLESS you elongate the mounting holes and use the matching 65 mounting bracket also. YOU CAN USE a 64 automatic steering column though and will bolt in as long as you use its matching 64 dash bracket also.
      The 66 Mustang C4 with the car type tail stock has also a longer output shaft in it. In order to put the 64 donout mount tail stock and matching output shaft,  you will have to dissassemble the car transmission in order to get to the circlip that holds the longer output shaft in. It is the only thing that holds it in place and is inside the drum. The Econoline short tail stocks have a real ball bearing in the back and its held in place with a circlip also and so when you bolt the tail stock on, the output shaft cannot come out the whole unit simply slides into the transmission and when you tighten the tail stock bolts it holds it all together. I have all the parts that you will need, except for the special 64 automatic type sheet metal engine hangers... I have only ever found two sets of those and sold a LONG time ago,,, sorry.
    vic

auto trans  100_1613

auto trans  64_tai11

auto trans  64_tai12

auto trans  Img_0111

auto trans  67c410

auto trans  100_2012
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 am

Vic, what year Ford trucks had the short ball bearing tail shaft? That opens more oportunities for finding. I know of a couple of 2nd Gen Econos with automatics. I like the tube style trans mount that you sell being a lot stronger than the donut mount But if i can find a truck with small block and auto with a short tailshaft? The pics that you show has many different ways of mounting, Donut or 65-67 with the square mount or the other post you had on here with the machined billet aluminum mount. What about the shifter lever or the downshift lever just retro fit your cables that you sell for that? When cash starts rollin again(been off of work for 2 months ,ankle surgery) i will send you my column for rework for an automatic. Thanks Ken
    slowmotion
    slowmotion

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-09-04

Post by slowmotion Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Some great info there old skool. I have a 64 with an auto in it and thought they were pretty common. I learned a lot from just that one post there.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Post by 61econoline Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

thanks vic lots of info there.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 pm

The GENII's had both type tail stocks, however the short ones are hard to find. Almost extinct now as most are Tuna cans now.  For the shift cable conversion, I supply a replacement shifter and MATCHING kick down lever for it.  If you are doing the conversion, the easiest way is to also use the 240 three piece gas pedal setup and then use my V8 conversion throttle cable which bolts right up to it. There are two types of those pedal setups, one for an automatic which uses the stock kickdown rod from ours if you want to, the manual trans gas pedal bell crank doesnt have the kick down tab on it. OR you can put a kick down cable also. 
      When using my cable setup it uses a universal carb mount bracket from Summit for about $9 bucks and it has also an adjustable kick down mount on it at the same time...
    vic
    auto trans  100_1013

auto trans  100_1910

auto trans  000_0410

auto trans  100_0710

auto trans  100_1112

auto trans  100_0410

auto trans  Thrott10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:40 pm