VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:58 am

So today in Sunny San Diego it will be a warm 70 degrees...

I see that today in Minneapolis MN the high will be 38 degrees! I cannot imagine that being the HIGH temp for the day!

So for all you cold weather vanner's... I will drive my van today and celebrate the ability to drive in the cold San Diego winter! Hee Hee Hee santa MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey Jacke, thanks for not rubbing it in...LOL! Razz What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:27 am

Okay so I want to keep the speaker install to a minimum for the radio. I see that there are these 140W Dual Voice Coil Bracketed Dash Speakers... it is 4 x 10".
    I am not going to cut slits for sound into the dash. But, should I use a single speaker like this? It is just for a radio old AM/FM vintage push button.
    I will either configure a bracket to hold it up out of the way, facing down, for sound or I could get 2 regular speakers and place them in a box on top of the the tunnel? That space is available? I am not sure if the old radio can run more than 1 speaker? I do not know much about the comparability of old radios and speakers.
    Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks very much! Question
    and which speakers to use for best output.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Started wrapping my exhaust manifolds on the van today. I finished the important side... mine, not sure how I might finish the passenger side, it is very tight next to the box on that side.
    I can see how this is a task to be done when you are first installing the manifold... lol.
    The difficulty I encountered feeding the titanium wrap through the 1/8" slit between the engine and the manifold was only matched by my inability to grab the wrap at the half way point from inside the cab, my arms are kinda short... like me  Smile . So, I had to go under the van after each wrap until to the end. I felt like I was doing calisthenics! Up Down... Up Down whew!
    But, I am stubborn and will not be defeated by unreasonably difficult tasks. Still need to cut the metal ties and tuck them. My cutters did not do it, I must be weak. Mad
    I hope the wrap helps in the overall temp inside the doghouse. Which in turn will make my area cooler when driving. I have heard it does help.
    Since I have no real air conditioning...like some of you lucky guys. You know who you are!! Wink

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Titani10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Manifo10
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:59 pm

I don't know what you're talking about... Twisted Evil
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I take it that Sam must have A/C in his van... Suspect

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:11 pm

So, I have been searching for the bottom plastic heater vent for my 64... never met anyone who actually had one on their van around here.
    I was told they mostly are missing or broken off. Well, as some of you may know, I never give up when I want something that is hard to find.
    So, today I am happily awaiting delivery of my vent. I have gotten the basic heater set up complete. I enjoy getting project done.
    I think this is about it... other than the horn ring which is as rare as hen's teeth, Plus I do not have the correct wheel I would need the deluxe steering wheel I believe for the horn button with the ring to fit? But, I never say never! Laughing

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Bottom10
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:49 pm

There’s no doubt in my mind that you will find one ☝️. Good luck Jacke and Happy New Year 🎈🎊🎆

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:17 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Vent110

Got the plastic vent in perfect shape... no cracks and still soft plastic not brittle.

Pretty marble color to the plastic too.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! bom bounce bounce Sleep
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Yea Jacke! Another treasure to add to the collection that is YOUR Van. Happy cotton pickin' New Year!

Jim
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:26 pm

jrdunn96 wrote:Yea Jacke!  Another treasure to add to the collection that is YOUR Van.  Happy cotton pickin' New Year!

Jim
    Well may the New Year be the Best year you could ever wish for!

I had been searching for this little gem for over two years. I am having a great end to what was a very difficult year. I look forward to 2019 and the happiness that will follow. Very Happy
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am

Good job on the header wrap and the vent find. I have a spare Deluxe wheel, (no horn ring) I want to restore to replace mine. You did such a nice job on yours maybe you could re-store mine and I'll give you the other one? I also have a nice center button that would go with it.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:13 am

Russell wrote:Good job on the header wrap and the vent find. I have a spare Deluxe wheel, (no horn ring) I want to restore to replace mine. You did such a nice job on yours maybe you could re-store mine and I'll give you the other one? I also have a nice center button that would go with it.

Thanks, sometimes I get lucky searching. I like finding the rare parts I need.
    I Like a hunt and it makes me feel accomplished in some way when I find the part
    The wrap gave me an irritation around my eyes and hands, I must have wiped my face without realizing. At first I forgot to use gloves. Then I realized and got a pair on! Late is better than never! Ahhh titanium fiberglass... not a friendly material. As I was a composite technician I should remember that!

I would restore your wheel... what color is it and how cracked, any missing edges?? I only have the black color restore.

Maybe a brown or cream would be good in your van? I have only done mine, so my experience is not prolific. But I will do my best for you.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:21 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Instal10

I installed my new heater vent! Looks finished now.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Congrats on a job well done Jacke!

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:14 pm

That plastic heater vent thing is psychedelic! Interesting to see one that hasn’t been painted. I’ve been casually on the lookout for one of those. I saw one in a junkyard in Minnesota once but got caught up removing bigger things and forgot to grab it!!

Sorry I wasn’t able to help with your van over the Xmas break. I was dealing with back pain of my own. It’s slooowly subsiding.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:24 pm

It seems to be the type of plastic it is made from. I have never seen another one to compare however? But the finish is original.
    Yes, your help was missed. But, I do understand the bad back issue, no problem. I hope you get well very soon. Cause I need your help to weld in the door stays! Laughing Laughing
    But seriously,  get well and take it easy as you can until you're healed up.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Today I am working on the addition of indicator signals in the dash. I have an after market dash and a upgraded wiring harness from "Painless". I did not install it, so I am lacking a manual on the wire configuration. I have a down loaded manual that will be a good guide. I have these little LED lights that fit into the holes on the dash face. I have never had the time to add these since I bought them... so now I am starting on the 3 gauges to be replaced and addition of the R, L,  indicator & high beam lights.
    I was able to remember how to remove the dash etc. we will see how it goes.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Instru11

So this is the wiring I had to deal with... Rats nest sounds about like it. I was able to change out the gauges, and started the turn signals, found the dimmer switch wires... had to quit my neck was killing me! Mad
    Since it is rainy now in sunny San Diego, I have time to recuperate before I attempt any more wiring additions. It is difficult to separate the wiring with these old eyes! And try reading the labeled wires...
    Ya Right! I can still see color and wire thickness... so I am going onward with the bare skills needed.

I will purchase a fire extinguisher Razz for when I drive it after I do the WIRING!! Razz Rolling Eyes
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Fire extinguisher is a Great idea with these vehicles. Wise investment!

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Maybe get two... cause the passenger may want to put out those flames too!! affraid Very Happy

My next wiring is the dome light I found at the junk yard awhile ago, just waiting for the new wire/bulb seat to come from Clarks Corvair to finish it.

I panted it to match the front looks pretty good! Just a little piece missing, but no cracks. Not bad for its age. Clark's wanted $49 for a new dome assembly. That was too high, so I spent $2 bucks and bought the hard to find wire/ bulb seat. I will rewire it myself. Smile

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Dome_a10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Wire_b10

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:55 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Bulb_h10

So, recieved parts for Dome light... they only sent 1 bulb seat. They have to send out 1 more...ugh
    I am off the rewire hook for the weekend! Its beautiful outside I think I will venture out into the day... sunny
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi Jacke......please send pictures of the weekend weather if you go for a van ride. Here in central Pennsylvania, we're expecting 18-20" of snow and temps from -5 to -15 by tomorrow night. I'll get my vannin' in vicariously through you. Not gonna complain too much, some others get it (weather) a lot worse than us.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm

SteelyVan wrote:Hi Jacke......please send pictures of the weekend weather if you go for a van ride. Here in central Pennsylvania, we're expecting 18-20" of snow and temps from -5 to -15 by tomorrow night. I'll get my vannin' in vicariously through you. Not gonna complain too much, some others get it (weather) a lot worse than us.
    OMG I would never make it! How do you cold weather people drive and survive in that cold?
    I am a true southern Californian, I can only drive in a light wind! Razz Razz Embarassed
    I loves your screen name... so, on VCVC after I saw your name I choose LedZeppvan. I loved those groups I in high school. My two favorite bands to party in the school cool guys van. 8 track versions.
    Here is what the day is looking like about 75 light breese and no clouds. The rain over the last week has made a very clean sky to enjoy. Turn up the heat over there or put on some mittens! Smile

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Nice_w10
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 am

I am going to restore a deluxe steering wheel for Russell. I am in between electrical projects waiting for parts. So, I wanted to keep my hands busy.
    This wheel has some big chips which mine did not when I did that restoration. So I will have some new challenges ahead. Last picture is after I have just started the first rough sand to get to the base black plastic. Next will be file file file into those cracks, get them open and ready for holding the repair. Gotta make it worse before it can get better.
    I will post some pictures as I go through the process.

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Repair11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Repair12
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Repair13

GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Repair10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 28 Repair14

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 pm