VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:20 am

GMman wrote:It looks very nice Jacke!!!

Thanks very much! I feel good about my choices. I hope I can keep up the pace to finish before too long!
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

It looks amazing Jackie and with your drive to "git er dun", it shouldn't take long to finish it to your high standards. Some of us might remember the 70's slogan "You've come a long way baby". It fits you to a tee.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Your van looks totally AWESOME!!!!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am

Big W wrote:Your van looks totally AWESOME!!!!

Now, before I get over worked on that interior make over.
    I am going to do some fun stuff. I will be putting my Handi-Van script back onto the sides. I am adding the wind guards above the door windows, I have new chrome headlight adjustment rings to put on and chrome half domes for over the head lights, I also bought some LED rear "RED" light bulbs to assist with giving a more bright STOP!! I have had some original deluxe tail light bezels polished up for install. I even found some slim gasket material so there won't be any light gaps between the body and the bezel. I like to see every detail finished... if possible.
    I have some other little bits and pieces before I get down to actually working on the interior creation I have in mind, ugh!

Last edited by JackeFriend on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:38 am

richie61 wrote:It looks amazing Jackie and with your drive to "git er dun", it shouldn't take long to finish it to your high standards. Some of us might remember the 70's slogan "You've come a long way baby". It fits you to a tee.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it really makes me feels like I am doing it right! I try to do it the best I can, sometimes that is an uphill battle. Exclamation

But sliding down the other side once you make it is awesome !!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 pm

WOW! Look's like it was worth the wait, great color, really stands out in the sun! Good Luck with it....
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:57 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 111aaa10

So I was able to get my tail light bezels on the van. I had the aluminum polished and coated.
    They came out very pretty.
    Today, Don came down and helped me with my side door. I needed the inside mechanism and the upper arm put in place. He found that my upper lock rod was there it had just fallen to the bottom.
    He remove some questionable rusted bolts from under the outside door handle? Who would put a square bolt where a screw goes? Anyway with some finesse he was able to get the old bolts out. Now I
    must find a couple of the correct screws to secure the handle.
    It wasn't long and Don was off to his next endeavor. Thanks for helping me out and again finding an odd problem I did was not aware of? Ignorance is bliss!
    Many thanks very much for your help. cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 pm

I ,,,,,,,adjusted,,,,,,,her rear bumper bracket,,,,,,,,I kinda think they cut the side door shaft off because they could not get the regulator  out because that outside bezel has to come off 1st,,,,,,it was put on with bolts that they tried to put in until they rounded off the edges,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0015

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0016

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0020

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0017

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0019

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0018
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:46 am

Very Nice! It's really beginning to take shape...pretty soon you'll just be driving and enjoying the Heck out of it! What a Face cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:31 pm

That interior photo looking forward over the black satin doghouse looks like a shot from a car magazine (ignoring the crumpled paper on the seat!).

The photos don't do those taillight bezels justice. They now look like chrome, not aluminum.

Very nice of Don to provide a cargo door handle mechanism with the inside shaft. One that works! And install it.

Those bolts on the cargo door handle bezel are pitiful! I bought new stainless bolts with countersunk heads at Marshall's Hardware in Mira Mesa. Couldn't find stainless star washers that were countersunk and I didn't want to scratch up my rechromed bezels, so I skipped them and put some Loctite medium strength on the threads. Tried it without the Loctite and they eventually came loose.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 am

Well thanks very much! Coming from a perfectionist like yourself, that is a great compliment.  Very Happy
    I do think those bezels look amazing. Really adds a nice finish to the tail lights.

The side door actually will open from the inside...NO more "Creeper" Van! LOL  affraid

I appreciate the real help and knowledge, not to mention the generosity of both Rich and Don!
    I would be up the creek without a paddle... without thier guidance for sure Exclamation

I am completing the bumper installation today. Next the interior in a couple weeks. I will be cutting  the door panels this week and preparing the interior. Much still to complete.

I took Vanny's suggestion... yesterday, I sat took a breath of fresh air, and relaxed with a glass of Champagne to admired all the hard work and dedication to bring this '64 GMC up to snuff! Now named "Goldie"

queen
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm

The door bezel screws are like cone shaped oval heads with matching cone shaped lock washers, very hard to find, but someone here must have a few good used ones. You could use regular counter sunk oval head stainless ones (Lowes, HD) and try using nylon insert locking nuts on the back if you don't have the backing plates with the welded nuts.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:33 pm

I may have those bezel screws. When I first hit the junk yard way back when I first started this project... 1 year ago... Don told me about A VAN... at the junk yard. So I did get the screws when I took that piece off along with some odds and ends and doors etc... sold those doors; bought better ones. Now where did I stash all those little screws, I took and put somewhere into my world!?
    But, if anybody had two I will gladly accept! I also have a second set of doors I could remove those screws and swap in/out as needed when I put my solid back doors on the van. I had a solid set painted as well as the window doors. So when ready, I can change 'em. LOL I love my POP OUTS TOO much to switch now...LOL
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 am

Tried to start doing the insulation on the interior yesterday! Too hot and humid. I felt like I was in a Sweat Loge. I need to get it done as I wanted to start installation of the wood tomorrow on the floor.
    Ugh, I think its time to start up the cooler air conditioner! trial run in 89% humidity and 90 degrees!
    Good test for my little cooler!! I will let you know if I survive.
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Air_co10
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am

Razz If you don't survive, Don or Rich or Russell will have to let us know...once they've picked through all the Goodies on your van, the mirrors, the taillight bezels...etc. Razz

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 am

vanny wrote:Razz If you don't survive, Don or Rich or Russell will have to let us know...once they've picked through all the Goodies on your van, the mirrors, the taillight bezels...etc. Razz

affraid affraid pale pale scratch
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am

Hey what size are the two countersink screws in the outside handle? #14 or?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:31 pm

All you are talking about are 1/4-20 countersunk head screws with a tooth washer,,,,,and as long as you put some kind of 1/4" bolt in to hold the backing plate from falling down inside of the door,,,,,you can do anything you want to the screws, bezel, clip and handle from the OUTSIDE,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0021
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks! I am looking for those two countersink screws... I must have gotten them when I got the door handle? Maybe?? LOL The picture helps me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:42 pm

,,,,,,,,go to Lowes or Home Depot,,,,,,tell them you want 1/4-20 stainless countersunk phillips head screws,,,,1 inch long,,,,,,,,,,,I aint making a 50 mile round trip down to you to drop off 2 screws,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0022
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,,,,,,go to Lowes or Home Depot,,,,,,tell them you want 1/4-20 stainless countersunk phillips head screws,,,,1 inch long,,,,,,,,,,,I aint making a 50 mile round  trip down to you to drop off 2 screws,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 15 Dscn0022

lol!
    I wouldn't ask you. But, drop them in the old mail box! Maybe, since you have a couple...pretty please bounce They are the correct ones after all. Rolling Eyes

I started the installation of the heat shield kit, put up the sound dampeners
    last evening... dripping in sweat... it's like being in the middle of a full elevator. The humidity is awful even with both doors open no breeze... I did the ceiling, next walls then floor. Cutting plywood for the floor today. I am getting something done, anyway! Surprised
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am

I get stainless screws etc. at Boat U.S supply or RV suppliers have a good selection also.
    There is a R.V. supply on El Cajon blvd. right up the hill from you.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am

Okay, I think I know where that place is and close too. Thanks for the directional Russell!
    Gonna work on that interior again today... melting melting.
    Yesterday, I forgot to use my air cooler! I won't forget that again!!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

Worked several hours yesterday, dripping in sweat. Floor insulated, 3/4" wood cut and in place with a few set screws... too tired to finish last night at 8 PM.
    Had a difficult time fitting the rear portion of plywood around the gas filler etc in the back corner. But with many attempts, it was fit to my satisfaction, which seemed to be easier to attain as the time grew later?? LOL Good enough for "government" work as they say... not building a house! I used #10 SS 1-1/2" screws. Very secure even with just the 10 set screws in place. I will do the walls next then finish the ceiling insulation. This is a lot of work!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:56 am

JackeFriend wrote:Worked several hours yesterday, dripping in sweat. Floor insulated, 3/4" wood cut and in place with a few set screws... too tired to finish last night at 8 PM.
    Had a difficult time fitting the rear portion of plywood around the gas filler etc in the back corner. But with many attempts, it was fit to my satisfaction, which seemed to be easier to attain as the time grew later?? LOL Good enough for "government" work as they say... not building a house! I used #10 SS 1-1/2" screws. Very secure even with just the 10 set screws in place. I will do the walls next then finish the ceiling insulation. This is a lot of work!

Did you put a layer of insulation under the plywood? A layer of thin bubble foil wrap (Lowes, HD) really helps with road noise and heat/cold in addition to the wood. Cheap
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Barrier-4-ft-x-25-ft-Air-Double-Reflective-Polyethylene-Insulation-Roll-DD48025/204476656?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D22-Insulation%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0o32u_i91QIVyFcNCh2rqQ_dEAYYBSABEgKMgPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COnPr8P4vdUCFci4swodaDsCLw

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am