VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Barnabas
misterbee
6 posters

Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup

misterbee
    misterbee

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2014-12-30

Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup Empty Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup

Post by misterbee Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:14 pm

It's been quite a while since I posted about my 62 pickup. The truck spent a long time at the shop sitting idle while they worked on other projects. I got it back from media blast (dip, actually) about two weeks ago and the body was in much worse shape than I thought.

The last owner(s) covered up a lot of problems with Bondo. There were lots of amateur welds and even silicon bronze in a lot of places.

The bodywork is going to be really expensive to the point where my spouse is close to cutting me off. Fortunately, I hope to source some re-pop panels and other parts from donor vehicles which should reduce the cost.

I put together a web presentation on this if you want to take a look at about a dozen photos with captions.

See: https://spark.adobe.com/page/tm1Tw/
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup Empty Re: Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup

Post by Barnabas Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Do you think the whole front end was replaced at one time? I have one like that.

Overall you have less rusty spots than most of my Econos. Mine are all rusted through.

Please keep us up to date on your restoration.
    QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Post by QCT Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Your truck is in much better condition than probably 90% of them out there! Although your disappointed with what was uncovered some guys on the forum would die for what you have as a foundation there. First van I had shipped to me I pulled up the carpet and could put my feet through the floor. Thanks for sharing the pics, please keep us posted!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Dude, you're in good shape. I don't see alot of problems there a very light coat of bondo, or even enough coats of epoxy high build, wouldn't fix. I don't see any problem with the body being brazed at some point unless it severely warped the panel, but I don't see that in the pics. Looks like they were deleting the body lines, probably should have leaded them after if they were really into it. They probably brazed to stabilize the seam. The brazing will never rust and if done right, never let go. Give praise my friend, that's a beautiful truck, in excellent condition. I see nary a void or serious dent after blasting. I'll show you problems and bad repairs, you don't have them.

One of my good friends growing up's Dad worked at Fisher Body in Marion, Indiana and his job was to fix the "new" cars panels for assembly or shipping to the other plants. They'd lead in panels, fix oop's and dents etc with finesse, bondo or both. What you got there is fine from what I see. If you're body man is saying otherwise I'd watch my wallet.

The concept of perfect repairs with all metal and no filler is a pipe dream and, imo, a waste of time and money. You do the best you can and the eye and time tell the story of how well the job was done.

I guarantee some of that is factory, like all the dimples from the body spot welding. Shows up above the wheel wells in particular.
    misterbee
    misterbee

Post by misterbee Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I do agree that a lot of the spot welds in the bed and other places are factory correct.

Yes, this truck is two trucks combined together. When we were first taking it part, we had an original yellow truck in back with a blue truck in front.

At some point, it looks like the truck was in an accident and the front of the cab was replaced, if not the whole cab.

Unfortunately, the welds on the door pillars were poorly done and not aligned properly. The passenger door never shut correctly and bondo was falling out of it.

On the plus side, a lot of engineering has already gone into the truck in the resto. It is set up for a Mustang II style front end and coil overs in the back. I have already purchased a LOT of items for the truck including a new 302 crate motor, AOD transmission, 9" rear end, Wilwood brakes, a new set of Cragar SS wheels and a RetroAir system. I even, optimistically, bought a retro-style radio and, I forgot, seats!

The firm that is working on the truck is an elite metal shop that brings cars to SEMA every year and they don't like to use bondo except as a skim coat. I wasn't going to have them strip and paint it, but we had the truck completely apart and that seemed like a good opportunity to get the work done as some of the bondo repairs were falling out and the passenger door was really screwed up.

If I can find all the body parts I need, I can keep it within the budget. OK, that's a lie, I am already over budget. However, if I quit now, I will be out a lot of money and won't have anything to show for it.

And, well, F-it, I am 55 years old and want to achieve my dream.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Right on, that's going to be one sweet ride!
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 am

misterbee wrote:And, well, F-it, I am 55 years old and want to achieve my dream.

Please post lots of pictures of the build, and thanks for letting us share in on your dream.
    misterbee
    misterbee

Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup Empty Spousal Approval

Post by misterbee Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:34 pm

After much negotiation, I have spousal approval to go ahead. Thanks to the forum, there is a donor vehicle to work with. I'll post pix eventually.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 am

That is going to be one fine ride when its done. And tell me. What vehicle could you buy today new that will be as well built as your E-pup when its complete and for the same money. NOT ONE!

I can rebuild a 3rd generation Ford van for just under 20,000.00. Everything. Motor, trans., brakes, etc, etc. A new van will cost me 38,000.00 and it's a POS right off the lot.
    misterbee
    misterbee

Post by misterbee Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:22 pm

I appreciate the sentiment, but this build is a LOT more than a typical car or SUV. IOW, I will have a lot more than 20K in it. Just fyi, this is a serious restomod with a mustang II front end, coilovers in the back, air, and a new crate motor. But, you're right, it's going to be cool when it's done. I am at peace with the fact that I will never get out of it what I'm putting into it, but I am going be the coolest guy on wheels.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Misterbee,

I don't know if your looking for parts. I have a 61 that I no longer have plans for. It might make a good donor for your project. It may not be any better than what you have. I know it has had some bondo work. It may or may not be something your interested in. It's a gutted shell. No engine, trans, doghouse, seats, or wiring. I only want $1200. less wheels/tires and bumper/towbar. I can provide rollers. I have a clear title in my name.

Rusty Woes! 1962 E100 Pickup IMG_20150813_1715401831640x360-vi

Duane.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:20 am

LOL. True enough. We do all our work in-house so we are able to control our cost a bit. And we save money by building our own engines and trannies. We have a 351W engine we built that has just the right resonance in its rumble, that when we roll thru a parking lot it sets off car alarms. But it isn't loud at all. LOL Freaks people out.

Good luck on that build. And keep those neat photos coming. I'm sure it will be a fine ride.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm