VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

transmission with overdrive.

zinger68dodge
    zinger68dodge

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2015-07-13

transmission with overdrive. Empty transmission with overdrive.

Post by zinger68dodge Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 am

I am looking for an adaptor plate for a 225 leaning tower of power, so I can bolt up a newer transmission with overdrive. ?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

transmission with overdrive. Empty Re: transmission with overdrive.

Post by rustytoolss Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:16 am

You can always add a Gear Vendors overdrive unit cheers , you may have to get a second mortgage on you house Rolling Eyes  . I know that some of the slant sixes had a transmission adapter plate. But am unsure it you could cross it to a late model V8 overdrive. The only other overdrive for the /6 was a manual used in the late 70's (volare etc) . But shift linkage would be a problem affraid .
    There is a company call Wilcap.com that sells adapters for the old mopar flathead six cylinders, but the are not cheap. Good Luck

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:06 pm

With the adapter plate you could mount the 518 (46RH) trans, build a new hanger bracket, depending on the year model a new torque converter, possibly a flex plate, a switch to lock the overdrive out, will have to be a 95 and earlier after that the 5i8 (46RE) became computer shifted don't go there.

In the end you will be locked out most of the time, the /6 just doesn't have the whoopie unless you plan on modifying it. Go find a nice 904 with lockup from around 1981- later, has wide gear set and steel planetaries, you may have to snag twp, one a /6 the other a V8 model to get the good stuff out of it or have the 904 built with those goodies. In drive while cruising the rpm's will be lower and 1st will launch you quicker.
    WYO George
    WYO George

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2016-02-14

Post by WYO George Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Wilcap makes an adapter so you can hook it to a GM transmission which really opens up the options. I think the 200-4R would be a great compliment to the slant.

http://www.wilcap.com/225350.PDF
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:38 pm

WYO George wrote:Wilcap makes an adapter so you can hook it to a GM transmission which really opens up the options. I think the 200-4R would be a great compliment to the slant.

h
    ttp://www.wilcap.com/225350.PDF

I used a 200-4R in my 46 Dodge pickup with a SB chevy. I loved that transmission. And the 200-4R was used behind those Buick Grand nationals V6 turbos Guys build them up to handle like 500 or more horsepower.
    zinger68dodge
    zinger68dodge

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2015-07-13

Post by zinger68dodge Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:04 am

I have a dodge? A100 I will check with willcap and see thank you.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 am

Be ready for sticker shock!  I'll bet the price is $600-800 plus shipping. and you may need to buy some pats. Good Luck.
    Also when installing a 200R4. You MUST make sure that the TV cable is adjusted RIGHT. If not you can easily mess up the transmission.
    You could just buy a different rearend center section. And get some Highway gears. Like 3.23/2.94/2.76 that's what I'm doing. Cheaper and easier than trying to install a overdrive transmission. You can usually pickup a center section for under $100.00 (non- posi).
    The biggest down fall of using a set of Highway gears, is that your lowend/takeoff power is not as great. But at highway speeds your RPM would be lower, and you gas mileage "should improve" results may very.
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
    Registration date : 2011-07-28

Post by Zuffen Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:46 am

This is a bit "quick and dirty" but have you thought abut simply fitting taller rear tires for when you want to cruise the Highway?

You could experiment with some used tires to start with and if the idea works get some quality tires for future use.

If you do some calculation beforehand you can work out how much height increase will change your gearing.

This would be cheaper than a centre section and way cheaper than any trans swap. Plus you don't get under and get dirty doing it.

It also leaves you with the same around town performance you now have with easier cruising with just the tire change.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

By installing rear tire that are 1" taller, you would only reduce your cruising RPM by aprox only 100 rpm. And also anytime you go to taller rear tire "it will effect your around town performance" Because any tire diameter change will effect ALL performance through out the entire driving usage, lowend take off power and high speed cruising rpm.They will all be effected, just as with a gear ratio change.
    By changing from a 3.55 to a 3.23 your crusing RPM would lower about 145 RPM. Considering your using the same size tires.
    Your right that a tire change would be easier..if you install a tall enough rear tire. You would need to go at least 1.5" taller in DIA. to equal a one step gear ratio change.
    I've done a lot of research on this. You can go to Summit.com and use there gear ratio/rpm tool to get some idea of what works best.
    Also when changing rear tire diameter OR gear ratio, you will need to change out the speedometer gear(easy&cheap). Because your speedometer will not be correct.
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
    Registration date : 2011-07-28

Post by Zuffen Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm aware of the implications of changing tire diameter and that's why I suggested it.

Cheaper than a diff centre change, MUCH cheaper than a trans change, easier to swap back and forth and it would be a good test of what a centre change would do for you with spending big bucks.

As for speedo gears I don't own a car with a carb or speedo cable.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:27 am

I was just trying to explain how tire diameter, and or gear ratios effect RPM, for guys that don't know much about the subject. And I'm sure that most guys with A100's are still using a mechanical speedometer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:06 pm